• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing between Ultravids and SLCs (1 Viewer)

MurometsVLD

I know this was probably discussed before.I am choosing between 7x42 Ultravids and 7x42 SLCs and although I have only had the chance to look through the SLCs I am just wondering what you guys think are the positives and negatives of both. Also I am at the moment using 8x42 Eagle Optics Rangers and am I going to really notice the loss of the close focus? Thanks ahead of time.

Ilya

MurometsVLD said:
I know this was probably discussed before.I am choosing between 7x42 Ultravids and 7x42 SLCs and although I have only had the chance to look through the SLCs I am just wondering what you guys think are the positives and negatives of both. Also I am at the moment using 8x42 Eagle Optics Rangers and am I going to really notice the loss of the close focus? Thanks ahead of time.

Ilya

Hi Ilya,

Have you considered the Zeiss 7x42 FL?
I bought one last year after comparing it to a SLC 7x42. The SLC was very good, great FOV, sharp to the edge, vivid colour rendition, but I chose the FL because they weighed 7 ounces less, gave me a very relaxed view, and had eyecups with clickstops.
I was deliberately shopping for a 7x42, unfortunately the Leica 7x42 was not in stock, otherwise I might have decided differently.

The close focus of the FL is just 2 metres, I don't need it often but sometimes I'm glad with it.

Greetings, Ronald

Sorry, forgot to mention, eye cups are not really a concern because I wear glasses. I have not had a chance to look at the Zeiss as of yet but will definitely consider it when buying. How is the eye relief on the Zeiss? Thanks for the help so far!

Ilya

Why 7x?

Choose the highest power that you can comfortably hold without shaking, for extended periods of time if necessary.

I got 8x42 and found out I can barely tolerate it. Not enough practice more likely. It is getting better.

I think with 7x, it's easier to hold it comfortably. I also imagine you get more dusk capabilities.

I knew I wanted a 42mm objective, the issue was between 7x and 8x. I seriously considered both. I only got 8x because I got a better deal on it.

Eye relief on the Zeiss is 16 mm, which is not great. I wear specs too and find that when I turn the eyecups up in the lowest clickstop position, I get the right view. Eyecups all the way in give me blackouts, strangely enough. So for me the 16 mm eyerelief is not bothersome.

Greetings, Ronald

I am border line with 8, It gets just a bit too shaky for my liking at times, plus when out of school for the summer I will have quiet a few trips around Wisconsin planned and I am more then sure most of them will be at the crack of dawn, and most likely till dusk so the extra brightness would be a bonus.

Ilya

etc said:
Why 7x?

Choose the highest power that you can comfortably hold without shaking, for extended periods of time if necessary.

I got 8x42 and found out I can barely tolerate it. Not enough practice more likely. It is getting better.

I think with 7x, it's easier to hold it comfortably. I also imagine you get more dusk capabilities.

I knew I wanted a 42mm objective, the issue was between 7x and 8x. I seriously considered both. I only got 8x because I got a better deal on it.

I deliberately chose 7x, because of the dusk capabilities as you rightly mention, and because of the relaxed view. Too much shake for me in 8x.

I use it next to my scope which I find I'm always taking along, so the magnification is not much of an issue for me.

Greetings, Ronald

MurometsVLD said:
Thanks Ronald, I will most definitely look at the Zeiss and will keep my options open.

Ilya

Take your time when comparing them in a shop, all are excellent and expensive. I was at first blown away by the SLC, but after an hour or so I noticed the FL giving me a more relaxed view. Use them not only inside the shop, but take them outside, that makes a lot of difference.

Happy shopping!

Greetings, Ronald

I recently tried a pair of swarovski slc 7x42's and was absolutely smitten with them.If the secondhand pair are still available when I can afford them they're mine!!

The first thing that surprised me when first handling them was the weight,I know they're heavy on paper but they really don't feel that bad.They also handle very well and sit nicely in the hand.The other main advantage with these binoculars is the field of view,outer sharpness and ease of use,also they also have a considerable price saving over the ultravids and fl's.
If money was no object I'd probably go with ultravids but at the moment it very definately is!,however I'm really not that hard to please.The slc's will last years and are covered by the best aftersales service care there is.

Matt

Last edited:
matt green said:
I recently tried a pair of swarovski slc 7x42's and was absolutely smitten with them.If the secondhand pair are still available when I can afford them they're mine!!

The first thing that surprised me when first handling them was the weight,I know they're heavy on paper but they really don't feel that bad.They also handle very well and sit nicely in the hand.The other main advantage with these binoculars is the field of view,outer sharpness and ease of use,also they also have a considerable price saving over the ultravids and fl's.
If money was no object I'd probably go with ultravids but at the moment it very definately is!,however I'm really not that hard to please.The slc's will last years and are covered by the best aftersales service care there is.

Matt
Matt,

The SLCnew 7X42 has improved coatings, the best sweet spot of any 7X42 and a view that should make anyone happy. My advice to aging eyes is to never underestimate the benefit of a large, relaxing sweet spot. I immediately sense the difference whenever I switch from my SE 8X32 to my Ultravid 7X42.

John

John Traynor said:
Matt,

The SLCnew 7X42 has improved coatings, the best sweet spot of any 7X42 and a view that should make anyone happy. My advice to aging eyes is to never underestimate the benefit of a large, relaxing sweet spot. I immediately sense the difference whenever I switch from my SE 8X32 to my Ultravid 7X42.

John

Fortunately, the model I've got my eye on is the latest 7x42 slc neu,the previous owner only had them about a month and decided to trade up to the el's.

They just seem to do everything right and nothing wrong,short of having click stopped eyecups and perhaps a larger focus wheel I can't think how they could be improved at their current price point.

One other point of interest (to me anyway) is how well suited they are to my prefered viewing,despite not wearing glasses I never feel the need to twist/roll up the eyecups.This aids sideways vision and often prevents fogging in humid conditions.

Matt

I sincerely hope Mr. Traynor comments further. He and I spent a great deal of time comparing the 7x42 SLC New, Ultravid, Trinovid and FL both in the store and actually out in field use.

I talked to my boss today, and he has both the SLC and the Ultravid and he says the only real issue (for him anyways) is the somewhat rough focus on the Ultravid. Does anyone else share this opinion?

Ilya

KorHaan said:
Eye relief on the Zeiss is 16 mm, which is not great. I wear specs too and find that when I turn the eyecups up in the lowest clickstop position, I get the right view. Eyecups all the way in give me blackouts, strangely enough. So for me the 16 mm eyerelief is not bothersome.

Greetings, Ronald

Zeiss quote 16 mm, but it is certainly more than this. The eye-relief on the 7 x 42 FLs should be more than adequate for any glass wearer.

Dave

Blincodave said:
Zeiss quote 16 mm, but it is certainly more than this. The eye-relief on the 7 x 42 FLs should be more than adequate for any glass wearer.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I agree with you; eyerelief must be more, because I got blackouts with eyecups fully in. I wear specs and get blackouts with any bino with more than 16 mm eyerelief; Nikon Sporter 8x36 was the last one I tried in a store, with 20mm eyerelief and eyecups fully in, the whole lower half of the view got black.

Greetings, Ronald

I didn't mention it in my original post but I feel compelled to also suggest that you consider the Meopta Meostar 7x42s. Price does not seem to be a concern for you but considering their performance level and their cost I think they are at least worthy of some consideration. Many knowledgable folks on here have compared the Swaro SLC 7x42s with the Meostar 7x42s and actually cannot see a difference optically. I did own both but not at the same time so I don't want to comment further in that regard. I did compare the 10x50 version of each model directly and found the image quality to be practically identical with two exceptions. The Meopta seemed to have a slightly brighter image which may be the result of a somewhat warm color bias. The Meopta also exhibited a tad more color fringing around the outer edge of the image. Physically the Meostars are shorter and lighter but with slightly less refined fit and finish.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back