• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choughs to be (re)introduced to Kent (1 Viewer)

There was a piece about this on the Beeb this evening. Seems the Cornish birds have been accepted by most birders but will the Kent birds be as welcome? I've personally only ever seen the Anglesey birds in the UK.

There was a piece about this on the Beeb this evening. Seems the Cornish birds have been accepted by most birders but will the Kent birds be as welcome? I've personally only ever seen the Anglesey birds in the UK.
Why wouldn't they be Pat, were they native to Kent?

Wallcreeper would be nice ;)

Great idea!

Technically, British nature is islands on an island. Patches of habitat are isolated by human development and wildlife cannot cross between them. Much can be done for conservation simply by moving sedentary species over man-made barriers - Cirl Buntings, Corncrakes, Choughs and so on.

Choughs certainly were native to Kent (appear on Canterbury's coat of arms). The cliff-top habitat should be fine. I'm not against the idea, particularly as they appear to be largely sedentary - whether the costs of the project are the best use of limited funds I don't know.

Prospecting birds have appeared in Somerset and natural expansion is perfectly possible. My recollection is that human persecution played a significant role in extinctions but I am away from my copy of the Historical Atlas.

Personally, I wish every penny spent on this was instead spent on purchasing land to save it from chemicals and development.

All the best

Paul

Last edited:
Choughs certainly were native to Kent (appear on Canterbury's coat of arms). The cliff-top habitat should be fine. I'm not against the idea, particularly as they appear to be largely sedentary - whether the costs of the project are the best use of limited funds I don't know.
I think the answer to the last line is surely "no" - far better to spend it on broader habitat restoration/protection to serve a far wider swath of species

The Cornish birds introduced themselves (from Ireland or France, I can’t remember). The I’ll fated, and possibly Ill prepared, human re-introduction failed. Let’s hope the Kentish plan was better thought out.

I was beaten to naming and giving the example of Cirl Bunting, a species now restricted to and "managed" to some suitable coastal valleys yet it was a breeding native species in many Southern and Home counties..... I too would rather see funds channelled into habitat aquirement but the bigger picture is far more important. Good luck to the scheme though.
Interesting footnote in that the Cornish reintroduction failed, how come?

The Cornish birds introduced themselves (from Ireland or France, I can’t remember). The I’ll fated, and possibly Ill prepared, human re-introduction failed. Let’s hope the Kentish plan was better thought out.
Not sure the source was ever established as per the British Birds article

Attachments

• V96_N01_P023_029_A002.pdf
    460.3 KB · Views: 12
I think one of the reintroduction attempts in Cornwall was based at the Paradise Park Centre in Hayle. A cage of Choughs (12?) were kept there for a while pending something or other. A huge gale blew through an sent a great branch down on top of the Chough cage. next morning they had all gone, and were never seen again. ....

I think one of the reintroduction attempts in Cornwall was based at the Paradise Park Centre in Hayle. A cage of Choughs (12?) were kept there for a while pending something or other. A huge gale blew through an sent a great branch down on top of the Chough cage. next morning they had all gone, and were never seen again. ....
Can't find any reference online to Choughs escaping from Paradise Park - birds raised there appear to have been released in Jersey and is now also the source of the Kent reintroduction scheme.

I saw my first pair of Choughs last week near Nash Point lighthouse in the Vale of Glamorgan. Was a little confused about an apparent Crow with red beak and legs but I had a vague memory from one of my old birding books about such a thing and checked when I got home.

I've only seen them on the Pembrokeshire coast path and Ramsey island.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back