• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Circa £200 10x50 (1 Viewer)

I bought one of these following advice from a forum member.

http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/hilkinson_binoculars/dartmouth.htm

I like them but are a bit too heavy for me and close focus appears to be 5-6 m.

There was a review of the loava by Holger Melitz that sugested the exit pupil was truncated but mine is close to 5mm if not spot on. Maybe the design has evolved subsequently.

The bins are rebadged ostara elinors, see

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/review/binoculars/ostara-elinor-10x50

They are a good bit less than your £200 limit

The Nikon Action EX 10x50 is within your price range. It is waterproof and purged with Nitrogen with a good rubber armouring. It is also quite chunky, weighs 1020 gm and focusses down to 7m (from the spec, CF means central focussing not close focus I gather).

Personally I find the eyecups far too big for me (I need their eye relief even though I don't wear glasses!), but that is probably not really a problem for most people. The objective covers on mine are of the easily lost variety, they clip in.

I think that they have had more use mounted on a tripod than any other because of their weight. They must have been bought over 10 years ago, so longevity is not an issue.

On this wet dark Bank Holiday Monday they provide a perfectly good crisp image. I tend not to see many of the faults other folks seem to have with binoculars in general, but at this price point they seem to be OK for my uncritical eyes.

Personally, I find 10x42 is a more useful size, but there are so many out there I wouldn't know where to start at this price point.

Last edited:
Thanks. I should have said that my preference is roof prism. I've tried both of the porro models suggested and found them quite decent.

I would suggest looking at the Barr and Stroud range of roof prism binoculars. You will probably be directed to the Optical Vision Ltd website.
I have the 12×56 ED Savannah, which I find to be very good. They also make a 10×56. You should find these at around your price range.
They also make 50 mm and 42 mm binoculars. Probably in 10 times magnification and maybe lighter than the 56 mm. But I don't find the 12×56 to be particularly heavy.
It would be better if you could try these binoculars in a shop to make sure they're suitable and buy the best one you find. As with all binoculars they probably vary from one to the other.

Last edited:
Thanks. I should have said that my preference is roof prism. I've tried both of the porro models suggested and found them quite decent.

Finding an equally good roof in the price range might prove more difficult... too much high tech and very close tolerances involved for the price range.

For more information google "merlitz why porro"...

Joachim

I have the Barr and Stroud Savannah 10x56 which I bought for about a hundred quid. Although they're not the ED version they are phase coated and provide a decent view, they are fairly heavy though.

James.

Thank you. I have owned many binoculars and I'm well aware of the benefits, and drawbacks, of porro. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried anything around that price that punched above its weight.

Thank you. I have owned many binoculars and I'm well aware of the benefits, and drawbacks, of porro. I just wanted to know if anyone had tried anything around that price that punched above its weight.

No offence meant - I hope you find a great sample and let us know!

Joachim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back