• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning Leica Optics (1 Viewer)

Mike Johnston

I realise the subject of cleaning lenses has arisen more than once on Birdforum, but I just wanted to raise it in relation to Leica optics. Leica's cleaning advice consists of brushing off loose dirt, wiping with a damp cloth, and drying with a soft chamois leather or lint-free cloth. For major dirt, rinsing in water. There is no reference to cleaning fluids. I was just wondering if Leica users stick to this? Is this enough to remove the grease from pollen, sap, fingerprints, etc.? Is the lack of reference to using cleaning fluids simply Leica playing safe in case someone uses the wrong stuff, and Leica won't endorse third-party products? Both Zeiss and Swarovski both sell branded cleaning fluid, so surely these must also be OK for Leica lenses?

Michael

MEJ said:
I take it snot is your cleaning fluid of choice then! :eat: Maybe Leica should market it! :t:

Michael

Where I come from, Harrogate, snot is unheard of and is not in the dictionary :t:

The advice on Leica lens cleaning is garbage. If in doubt just but some lens cleaning tissues from a supermarket. Or use a CLEAN hanky....preferably a white monogramed one..they are the best :smoke:

John.

How about using a bit of the froth from off the top of a pint of Guiness? Blow it gently off your mustache onto the lens and use a handkerchief (preferably one that has not been used to gently blow one's nose after administrating a pinch of snuff) to delicately clean the lens! B :)
Bob

MEJ said:
I realise the subject of cleaning lenses has arisen more than once on Birdforum, but I just wanted to raise it in relation to Leica optics. Leica's cleaning advice consists of brushing off loose dirt, wiping with a damp cloth, and drying with a soft chamois leather or lint-free cloth. For major dirt, rinsing in water. There is no reference to cleaning fluids. I was just wondering if Leica users stick to this? Is this enough to remove the grease from pollen, sap, fingerprints, etc.? Is the lack of reference to using cleaning fluids simply Leica playing safe in case someone uses the wrong stuff, and Leica won't endorse third-party products? Both Zeiss and Swarovski both sell branded cleaning fluid, so surely these must also be OK for Leica lenses?

Michael

The Zeiss fluid and Zeiss moist wipes work just fine. I like the Zeiss cleaner as a final "wash" because it dries cleanly.

I suggest blowing off the dirt, then gently washing off the lens with running water (assuming your Leica is waterproof). The Zeiss cleaner removes finger prints and leaves the lens looking nice and clean.

Rich

Rich N said:
The Zeiss fluid and Zeiss moist wipes work just fine. I like the Zeiss cleaner as a final "wash" because it dries cleanly.

I suggest blowing off the dirt, then gently washing off the lens with running water (assuming your Leica is waterproof). The Zeiss cleaner removes finger prints and leaves the lens looking nice and clean.

Rich

Yes the Zeiss fluid seems to be a good product. Unfortunately its not easy to get over here, except as part of a Zeiss lens cleaning kit. Company 7 have good piece on the Zeiss fluid at: http://www.company7.com/zeiss/products/czcleaning.html
They've also got a very useful article on cleaning optics, which seems to contain pretty sensible advice:
http://www.company7.com/library/clean.html

Michael

MEJ said:
Yes the Zeiss fluid seems to be a good product. Unfortunately its not easy to get over here, except as part of a Zeiss lens cleaning kit. Company 7 have good piece on the Zeiss fluid at: http://www.company7.com/zeiss/products/czcleaning.html
They've also got a very useful article on cleaning optics, which seems to contain pretty sensible advice:
http://www.company7.com/library/clean.html

Michael

Hi Michael,

Given the cost of a Leica, I would pay for a Zeiss cleaning kit. If you are careful with your Leica you won't need to clean it often.

I got a Zeiss kit when I bought my Zeiss 10x42FL.

I've not looked at the Co 7 advice, but I'm not a fan of Co 7.

Rich

Last edited:
Rich N said:

I'd advice against washing in running water, if you want to wash them run a bowl of water and them put them in it. Leica bins are only guaranteed waterproof to 5 bar (5m), running water is at a much higher pressure than standing water so there's a real chance that water from a tap could be too much for the seals.

postcardcv said:
I'd advice against washing in running water, if you want to wash them run a bowl of water and them put them in it. Leica bins are only guaranteed waterproof to 5 bar (5m), running water is at a much higher pressure than standing water so there's a real chance that water from a tap could be too much for the seals.

Where did i read that you could rinse off leicas under a tap? I did somewhere but when i did moisture got into one of the eyepieces.Sorted within a week by Leica though.

postcardcv said:

Please read my post again. I used the word "gently".

Rich

Although my earlier posts were light hearted... why on earth would anyone want to submerge, or even wash, a pair of binoculars. My ancient but perfect Zeiss BGats have never seen a bowl of water, let alone a running tap!

The correct lens cleaning and a damp cloth on the outside will always suffice.

Some of you will be giving them a bath next.

John.

The Hama Lenspen without doubt the best item for cleaning Scopes, Binoculars and Digital cameras. Canon are supposed to use them in their repair centres. Go into Warehouseexpress click on digital and on LHS click on accessories (misc) then click on cleaning eqpt. Then click on lens cleaning. Hama Lenspen £8.99. Artie Morris at Birdsasart.com highly recommends them here www.birdsasart.com/lenspens.htm.

However if you do buy one of these and want to clean your sensor with a Lens Pen, it is vital that you open the Lens Pen and then tamp (not rub) the tip of the Lens Pen on the micro-fiber cloth about 10-20 times (fairly gently) until only a tiny bit of graphite is evident on the cloth. Do not be tempted to rub the graphite off as this may dislodge the tip of the Lens Pen. The graphite that comes off on the micro-fiber cloth will not hurt your lens the next time you clean it because the graphite is designed to clean lenses.

john barclay said:

John.

I do. Nice bowl of luke warm water (test with elbow) take off the strap and gently slosh them around for a minute or so. Dry off body with a tea towel and wipe lenses with a nice clean lens cloth. I've been doing this at least twice a year for the last 10 years without any problems on both my Leica's.

Deja-vu said:
I do. Nice bowl of luke warm water (test with elbow) take off the strap and gently slosh them around for a minute or so. Dry off body with a tea towel and wipe lenses with a nice clean lens cloth. I've been doing this at least twice a year for the last 10 years without any problems on both my Leica's.

No doubt next it'll be the jet wash...I give up!

John.

tom24 said:
Where did i read that you could rinse off leicas under a tap? I did somewhere but when i did moisture got into one of the eyepieces.Sorted within a week by Leica though.

I think that advice actually came from Leica!

john barclay said:
Although my earlier posts were light hearted... why on earth would anyone want to submerge, or even wash, a pair of binoculars. My ancient but perfect Zeiss BGats have never seen a bowl of water, let alone a running tap!

The correct lens cleaning and a damp cloth on the outside will always suffice.

John.

Zeiss BGats are not waterproof the way those modern models are claimed to be. These can really be dunked (or be given a bath as you say), though I'd do it only of they had fallen into a fresh cow pie or somewhat similar.

Rich N said:
Given the cost of a Leica, I would pay for a Zeiss cleaning kit. If you are careful with your Leica you won't need to clean it often.

I got a Zeiss kit when I bought my Zeiss 10x42FL.

I've not looked at the Co 7 advice, but I'm not a fan of Co 7.

Rich

Company 7 has always treated me very well, and I appreciate their sometimes blunt but considerable expertise in optics. The only times I have ignored their advise I have regretted it. The most memorable was when I was purchasing my AP 155 f7 from them. Marty strongly recommended my taking one of the available openings in the first production run of the 180 f7 since it was only about $2000 more than the 155 and was "a sweet scope." I declined, figuring I could move up to the 180 later. :-/

I have the Zeiss kit, and a number of other cleaning agents for coated optics, but there are some things that just won't come off with these cleaning methods. When that happens, I just wash my Leicas off in the sink with Dawn dishwashing detergent and they come out pristine. Leica's no-fault warranty is comforting in case I screw something up, but no problem so far. I'm not sure I'd be as cavalier about dunking my Zeiss 7x42 FL's given Zeiss' limited warranty.

I tried Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) and cotton balls.

Slight residue is left from Isopropyl Alcohol and the lenses have too be rubbed for a few mins it seems to get rid of it.

Then the cotton balls leave some specks of cotton, you can get rid of most of them by blowing on the lenses.

I will try to find a real cleaning kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back