• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coal Tits (1 Viewer)

edrick owl

edrick owl - a real twit
Anyone any info on garden breeding Coal Tits?

Last year I had one pair nest in the big conifer, high up, and although I did not see them every day, they were around for a good few months. So far this year - not a thing. I have not even recorded them in the neighbours garden, of which I get a good view of their much used peanut feeder from my armchair, and which was regularly used by them last year.

So, anyone else noticed a lack of their Coal Tits?

Regards,

I see them a lot here, at home and at work, was watching two displaying when I got home today.

unlike the Great/Blue I've never once had them use one of my boxes so interesting to read they nested high in the top of a conifer, presumably not in a hole then? or was it?

Our coal tits disappeared the day the weather turned pleasant and Spring arrived. Not seen them since. They visitied every day throughout the winter.

edrick owl said:

Last year I had one pair nest in the big conifer, high up, and although I did not see them every day, they were around for a good few months. So far this year - not a thing. I have not even recorded them in the neighbours garden, of which I get a good view of their much used peanut feeder from my armchair, and which was regularly used by them last year.

Regards,

I had one at the feeders today, never had them in a nest box.

One comes daily onto the red peanut feeder nearest my kitchen window. I suppose it could be more than one, but he is very tame, seems completely unphased if I walk near him. Don't know about them breeding though. There seems to be one around all year here, but I never see two at the same time.

I haven't seen a Coal Tit around for a VERY long time. I used to have them regularly a while ago, but now I never see them. There have been some previous posts and threads about Coal Tits nesting. Apparently it can be quite difficult to get them to use nestboxes!

edrick owl said:

Regards,

I had a pair raise a brood in a nest box on the garage last year. They started rebuilding the nest once the young had left but didn't carry on for a second brood.

Great Tits have taken the box this year and Coal Tits are here as well, but nesting in another garden.

Frank

Hi Richard

No they did not nest in a box on or in the conifer. As for the inside of the tree, well, it's quite big, and dark and flippin' prickly, but I could see nothing, so I don't know if there are any natural holes or crevices.

To deviate slightly, there are Blackbirds and Collared Doves that raise broods in the dark confines of the conifer, but apart from hearing the young call, the dropping of used egshell on the lawn, and maybe the odd sighting of a couple of young once fledged, that's all there is.

Today when I pulled on the drive in the car, a male Blackbird sprung up onto the fence. Then we had a standoff. Who would weaken and move first? Would it be me, home from town with a car load of shopping from Tesco's; or would it be the bird, a beakfull of grubs and worms, intent on not giving any secrets about his mate's whereabouts, but desperate to feed his young?

Luckily, I stayed strong, he weakend first, and flew into the same large conifer, calling out with that unmistakeable Blackbird alarm call. Got him! Or so I thought.

Looking at it objectively, he won. I only found out what I knew already, and once in the cofines of his sanctuary, he was free to do and go as he pleased, and the humble human would be no wiser.

Ah well, the shopping needs unpacking. At least I know where that goes!

Regards,

No they did not nest in a box on or in the conifer. As for the inside of the tree, well, it's quite big, and dark and flippin' prickly, but I could see nothing, so I don't know if there are any natural holes or crevices.

lol! I saw quite a few what I presumed were family groups around my feeders last year, but is one of those birds that I haven't a clue where they nest.

Nice to know some people have them in boxes, will just have to put a few more up :)

i have not seen any in the local gardens but has anyone noticed that there is a marked increase in coal tit numbers in wooded areas recently or is it just a local phenomenon

Hi tizzysdad

I can only speak for myself, but I went to my local nature reserve on Tuesday, spending about 5 hours there, and saw or heard nothing of any Coal Tits whatsoever.

No idea or explanation at all as to their apparent no-shows, but as long as someone somewhere still has them around. I must admit though, that anyone who does have them makes me just a little envious, as they were one of my "special, not so common" birds in the garden. - Even less common now!

Regards,

Still quite a few in the garden. Strangely enough, one of the long tailed tits was very aggressive towards them, kept chasing them off, but they still return.

British Coal Tits are often very sedentary - we've got a colour-ringed group and some of those birds have been on their territory for over 4 years. They'll range a bit further in winter, maybe over about 5-10 football pitches, but usually breed in the same area. The 1st winters move around a larger area and aren't attached to any specific place until spring.

We get a few breeding in boxes, but it's not common. They've just started laying here.

The little coal tit that comes in my garden is very tame. Yesterday some guys from Western Power were working on the power cables in my garden, and we were chatting away, and I looked and the coal tit was still eating the peanuts about 6 feet away from us. Now I could understand it if it were just me, as he is used to me, but two strangers didn't worry him at all. If it's the same bird from last year, he used to reluctantly get off virtually at the last minute as I removed the feeder to re-fill. Almost see him sighing, "oh go on then, if you must!"

I know a garden in Suffolk (My parents) and they have at least 30 cole tits - 60 blue tits - 60 great tits - 5 or more Bramblings (Now they are very pretty birds) - amongst others - but when you watch all these birds the blue tits are the bravest - the cole tits nip in and nip back to the safety of the shrub but I have seen one of these birds push a great tit off the feeder - however the bravest one of all I have seen is the long tailed tit which flew in and landed on the feeder next to the one I was putting up!

About two acres and is in the middle of a forest - only other house 150 yards up the road!
We alos get fallow deer including a couple of white ones - a munt Jack deer which comes in the garden during the day - Loads of Rabbits - Pheasants - Adders - He has just started getting a couple of Mallards on his Pond which he is not to happy about because they have eaten his tadpoles - Shelducks have always nested at the end of the garden just inside the forest and we frequently see a sparrow hawk take birds off the nuts - all told it is a pretty nice place and I swear I am going to make a wildlife calender one day - we counted over 150 different species of bird that comes there and with other wild animals we totalled it to about 250 different species!

At least I now know where my Coal Tits have gone - just could not make out the Hampshire post mark on the cards they were sending!

Ah well, at least they seem to be happy and amongst friends, but if ever they fancied a holiday or change of scenery, I hear the odd garden in North Lincs is quite nice.

Send them my regards,

We have counted over 150 species ?

You don't know 150 species lol

I know as I have the unfortunate task of being her elder brother :-C

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back