• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colombia, Bogotá region, 03/20 (1 Viewer)

Lanugoh

Germany
Could anyone help to id this bird? I saw it March last year in the region around Bogotá in Colombia.

Attachments

• 116010472_581655935831295_2110976272754056751_n.jpg
    116010472_581655935831295_2110976272754056751_n.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 35
This is Common Chlorospingus. The subspecies (flavopectus) around Bogota have darker, dusky eyes but note the darker head than Ashy-throated shows. This is an EXTREMELY common error for the Bogota area. A while back I went through and reviewed a bunch of these errors in eBird media but there are likely a bunch more now from places like Chicaque Natural Park.

This is Common Chlorospingus. The subspecies (flavopectus) around Bogota have darker, dusky eyes but note the darker head than Ashy-throated shows. This is an EXTREMELY common error for the Bogota area. A while back I went through and reviewed a bunch of these errors in eBird media but there are likely a bunch more now from places like Chicaque Natural Park.
Not calling this into question (thanks for the note): does it mean the proaves guide is wrong? It shows flavopectus with a pale eye.

Here is a scan from the page I was referring to

Niels

Attachments

• Chlorosp.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 19
I guess my real message is that this book might be better than I initially thought.

Niels
Yes illustrations look good (although choice of map colours indistinguishable). We need AndyAdcock to tell us how the new Hilty guide stacks up

Yes illustrations look good (although choice of map colours indistinguishable). We need AndyAdcock to tell us how the new Hilty guide stacks up
Best I can do with a 2 year old climbing on me, top image is flavopectus......

Attachments

• P4010132.JPG
    P4010132.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 18
  • P4010137.JPG
    P4010137.JPG
    575.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Short answer would seem to be yes.
Great thanks. So far conclusion seems to be "probably need all 3 guides". Proaves gives better indication of subspecies ranges and illustrates some the others don't (but illustrations not great even when correct). Quinones/Hilty illustrates subspecies correctly & pics are good. Quinones shows more sspp. Hilty gives more background. Good thing my mobile has a micro SD...

I would tend to go with Avery Bartels who seems to have the local knowledge the rest of us are missing. Checking the images on BoW for Ashy-throated just convinced me, that is NOT the OP bird. flavopectus for me.

Niels

I would tend to go with Avery Bartels who seems to have the local knowledge the rest of us are missing. Checking the images on BoW for Ashy-throated just convinced me, that is NOT the OP bird. flavopectus for me.

Niels
I see that Ashy-throated is illustrated in the Lynx guide, with a pale, lower mandible compared to the all dark bill of flavopectus, don't know if this might be a separating feature?

Yet in the Lynx guide, looks almost white?
The photos I saw: if the throat was near white then the crown was paler than what we see here; and if the crown was darker almost like here, then the throat was decidedly grey. So less difference between crown/sides of head and throat than on this image.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back