• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour Ringed Little Egrets (1 Viewer)

George Hogg

Is there any online data for movements of colour ringed egrets in U.K.
Particularly interested in what appear to be advance guard of the hoped for colonisation of southern Scotland

Dont know if this might help you, this appears to be the ones that have been ringed in the UK...
Combination of two rings engraved with a single vertical letter or number (one on each tibia).
Richard Hearn, Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK.

e-mail: littleegrets ADD yahoo.co.uk

note 1: birds are ringed in the UK and Ireland, mostly as nestlings.

note 2: by end of summer 2008 approx. 300 birds had been ringed at 15 sites in the UK and Eire.

note 3: orange and red rings are both used and are regularly being confused, but can be identified by the colour of the characters; orange rings have black characters whilst red rings have white characters.

There are numerous other ones that are based in Holland, France and Spain and can be seen at
http://www.cr-birding.be/

I know of 2 that had been around our area and they were ringed at The Wash and Tiree.

Thanks

Thanks Marmot,I had tried the mail address (yahoo.com)so have now tried yahoo .co.uk at your suggestion.
Wondered why it kept bouncing back!
The particular bird I am interested in is left white'A' on red..right black'D' on yellow. It was at Aberlady,East Lothian recently.

Are you sure of the combination George, as 'Red A Yellow 9' was seen in Belhaven Bay, East Lothian, on 3-8 August this year? The photo below shows the rings nicely so might be of use (photo courtesy of Dennis Morrison). This particular bird had been ringed as a chick in Lincolnshire in May 2010.

Attachments

• Little Egret 008.jpg
    Little Egret 008.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 187
Hi Mark ,Many thanks.Yes I am sure of the details coutesy of a nice close piture of the Aberlady bird by Abbie Marland.
Have now received ringing details from Richard Hearn (via the above yahoo address).
It was similarly ringed as a fledgling this year in Lincolnshire.
Unfortunately it has not had time to accumulate any history ,only Aberlady on 2 consecutive days.
Ricchard tells me the Belhaven bird has subsequently been seen on Isle of Man !
............george

Great news Kelvin,We in yet to be colonised Scotland welcome northwards dispersal whether the reason is understood or not.
if they are colonial nesters like Grey Heron you wouldn't expect them to be so keen to disperse away from current populations......g

Great news Kelvin,We in yet to be colonised Scotland welcome northwards dispersal whether the reason is understood or not.
if they are colonial nesters like Grey Heron you wouldn't expect them to be so keen to disperse away from current populations......g

I understand that breeding colonies can spontaneously form some distance from other nesting sites, as they did in my county.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back