• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Come and Guess. (2 Viewers)

You got it on #5 Joao, it's a Peregrine!

On #4, you're still not far off, it is a species of penguin that is found in temperate rather than arctic regions.

And for the first..... I'll tell you it inhabits a specific Indonesian island.

Attachments

• DSCF8017.JPG
    DSCF8017.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCF8180.JPG
    DSCF8180.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 102
Progne Subis said:
On #4, you're still not far off, it is a species of penguin that is found in temperate rather than arctic regions.

Hi Tayler,

That leaves three species of Spheniscus penguins if one rules out jackass (black-footed). Your hint is tricky since the only arctic penguins are the ones who hang out with the Polar Bears in the Coca Cola commercials ;), and the two of the three remaining Spheniscus are temperate species. Galapagos Penguin is tropical since its range is centered near the equator. So that leaves Humboldt and Magellanic, though alot of the range of Humboldt is in the tropic zone. I don't think that those two can be separated based on the image so it amounts to a guess. Since Magellanic seems to be the one kept in zoos most often and is the most temperate of the remaining ones, I'll guess that one for #4.

Progne Subis said:
And for the first..... I'll tell you it inhabits a specific Indonesian island.

This one is one of the world's most endangered birds and comes from an island that is an anagram of LAIB, right?

Chris

Hello Chris..... I guess you know your details about Spheniscus penguins a bit better than I do!

Since you gave yourself a 50/50 chance of guessing the right answer by choosing between the Magellanic Penguin and the Humboldt, (and you decided Magellanic) I will say guess one more time;). But I see what you mean about the range of the latter species of penguin, so I suppose since the majority of its range is north of the Tropic of Capricorn, it would be considered more of a tropical species than temperate.

As for your guess on the first bird, "LAIB" is a viable anagram for the island on which it resides. And yes, it's also critically endangered. So you're right! It's a Bali Myna. Nicely done.

Last edited:
Alright, now that we have that whole thing sorted out, get ready for another zoo bird round!

Attachments

• DSCF8146.JPG
    DSCF8146.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF8104.JPG
    DSCF8104.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF8137.JPG
    DSCF8137.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF8035.JPG
    DSCF8035.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCF8126.JPG
    DSCF8126.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 130
Now the ball is rolling....

Larry's got it on #3 with Barred Owl! Way to go.

Ensis is correct on #4 with Harris's Hawk! :clap:

Keep it up!

Attachments

• DSCF8126.JPG
    DSCF8126.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF8035.JPG
    DSCF8035.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF8104.JPG
    DSCF8104.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 105
Hi Tayler,

The red eyed bird (the quiz bird formerly known as #5) looks like a Demoiselle Crane.

The raptor is a Falco, and thinking regionally, I'll guess Gyrfalcon.

The other one is a...err...I'll get back to you on that one.

Chris

Splendid Chris. You're correct.

#1= Gyrfalcon

#5= Demoiselle crane

Okay, I'll admit, #2 is the most difficult. This is a South American species again. I'll give a more obvious clue later if you all are confused.

Okay, to make this easier, another clue. This bird inhabits the tropical Amazonian basin in humid forests. Larry is really close already, just guess the right species!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back