• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Commenting on Photographs (1 Viewer)

rin

:hi:

I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what type of photographs they feel comfortable commenting on.

I often browse the galleries on BF and notice that many of the photographs have been viewed loads of times but no one leaves comments.

I always leave a comment on any that I view as I think anyone taking the time to post photographs deserve feedback or praise for taking the time out to produce these photographs for us to browse.

I have learnt so much from browsing the galleries both subject and composition ways.

I really would benefit from a photo editing course but our local college doesn't run these. There is so much in the software that we can do to our photographs but I am niave as to how to use the various parts. I have several books but prefer hands on learning, personally I learn far more that way.

Thanks

Rin x

:flyaway:

Last edited:
I always leave comments on photos and yes it annoys me a bit that people bother looking at them but can't even be bothered to put even just "good picture".

I try and do a comment per photographer on my visit but sometimes it will be more if they are new to the database or of exceptional quality. I do make exceptions sometimes when the picture seems as if it has been taken from too far away and it just looks like an indistinguisable blob or that it is fuzzy.

rin said:
I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what type of photographs they feel comfortable commenting on.

I often browse the galleries on BF and notice that many of the photographs have been viewed loads of times but no one leaves comments.

Personally I feel happy to comment on any photos in the gallery - however I look at a lot more photos than I comment on. If a photo already has a number of comments I am less likely to add my own, unless I want to comment on a specific element, such as lighting or composition.

I know it's nice to get comments posted on photos in the gallery, and personally I find them very encouraging. I always try to look out for photos that have not received comments, and photos by new members and make sure I comment on these. I think that often excellent photos by well established members get a lot of comments, while less outstanding photos by unknowns get far less. (I know that I'm guilty of looking out for photos by specific members as I know they'll be worth seeing).

If you're looking to learn about photo editing, lighting, composition, etc. then it's well worth visiting the sister site at www.worldphotographyforum.com you'll find loads of useful info over there.

Last edited:
Rin,I think sometimes it is the time one spends on the Forum does somewhat limit comments one can make.As Pete has mentioned,I always like to comment on a new members photo,as it encourages people to keep up their photography.But now we have a sister Forum,and so may members posting so many threads,there are only so many hours in a day/evening.I also feel it is nice to say something other than just "good photo".But again the time factor works agains't one.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back