• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation of Merlin sonogram. Crossbill? (1 Viewer)

Bismarck Honeyeater

Barely known member
Heard a very feint and distant ‘chip-chip-chip’ this afternoon, in the Brecks.

When I looked down the Merlin app was saying Crossbill.

IMG_8590.jpeg

Is there enough on these three marks to say either way?

Possibly with access to the sound file, but not from this. Pro crossbill is timing, there are plenty on the move at the moment, and location/habitat of course.
Tried uploading but it’s too big. Don’t have the software to resize it.

I’m aware and agree with the pro points, plus it sounded good, the half second I heard, it’s weird because Merlin often doesn’t get the quiet distant things. This time it did.

It also called Firecrest at the same time, but soon circled back and corrected itself to Goldcrest. With the Crossbill, there was no correction, but I guess that was because it was a flyover.

WavePad Free (an Android app) allows for trimming without limit, and a fixed number of normalisations (best done to -3dB, reportedly) per reinstallment. You can see the sonogram only in Merlin, though.

WavePad Free (an Android app) allows for trimming without limit, and a fixed number of normalisations (best done to -3dB, reportedly) per reinstallment. You can see the sonogram only in Merlin, though.
You can access the wav file external to Merlin though and hence do what you want with it? including export it to a PC and so on.

I would suggest WaveEditor for Android. It's also free but with unlimited trimming, normalizations, filters, etc. It also functions as a recording app (which iirc WavePad does not).
I installed WavePad briefly but it seemed much inferior to WaveEditor.

The original file does contain a lot of wind noise but here's a complete longer segment running at 40 seconds - it's around the 19 seconds mark where the bird in question makes a call - and also the full audio recording too.

I'm sure BH won't mind me posting this on his behalf.

Attachments

• crossbill long edit 2.mp3
    331.6 KB
  • 2023-06-27 1326.mp3
    1.9 MB
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back