• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coronavirus and the launch of the Zeiss SF 32mm (2 Viewers)

If I did buy an 8x32 SF, it is my policy to leave parcels outside for several hours or preferably 3 days.
I wonder whether it would still be there.

I would ask the vendor to put it in a bag marked Laundry with the binocular wrapped in some vests and a few shirts to increase the chances.

B.
Binastro. What is your address in England?:-O

What about the poor soul delivering all those SF parcels.

I have to say given the price I`m struggling to see an upside to picking the 32 over the 42, apart from weight (and the weight of the 42 seems to vanish in use to me) around the neck, like every other Alpha 32 its going to be outperformed by the 42, and looks to me as though the ergonomics will be poorer as well.

I've read the lengthy COVID thread I linked above, and found it very interesting. (The other appears to be in Ruffled Feathers which I don't frequent.) It was supposed to be about the "impact of Coronavirus on birding" but had difficulty adhering to that focus as one would expect. My favorite comment was this:
We have to tread a fine line between necessary caution and hysterical overreaction. As a corrective to the latter (whilst not minimising the distress and grief this outbreak will cause) I offer the sage words of writer-activist Craig Murray (himself in a very vulnerable group) - "100% of those who contract coronavirus are going to die. 100% of those who do not contract coronavirus are also going to die. The difference in average life expectancy between the two groups will prove to be only very marginal."
The question on which views ultimately diverge is, not surprisingly, the one we're just coming to face now, which I asked above. How much socioeconomic dislocation are we willing to inflict on ourselves, for how long, in how many waves, to save how many lives (for now! thanks Craig)? It's not a novel sort of question. Life is full of risks we can't afford to eliminate entirely. Here's another way to look at it: cost/benefit analyses on pollution, radiation, etc simply assign a value to life and make the calculation -- I've read that it's conventionally about US$ 9 million, not sure how arrived at. But I'm watching livelihoods lost, businesses shuttered that will probably never reopen, educations curtailed, investments decimated, civil liberties endangered, etc, and thinking somebody really needs to start doing the math.

Last edited:
Dennis, post #41.

The address is.
Victoria Embankment, Westminster SW1A 2JL.

Come in your appropriate dark clothing and the tools of your trade :)

B.

The upside to the SF 32 will be the smaller size, lighter weight, and bigger FOV and I have been hearing rumors it will handle glare better than it's bigger cousin which is somewhat of a weak spot for the SF 42. For daytime birding it will have very near the performance of the bigger glass.

For me my 8x42SF handles stray light better than anything else I`v owned, of course it will be smaller and lighter but the 42 is just about perfection ergonomically, and I`v yet to find any 32 that performs better than a 42 whatever the time of day, and there`s no saving financially, genuinely I think its too expensive.

The question on which views ultimately diverge is, not surprisingly, the one we're just coming to face now, which I asked above. How much socioeconomic dislocation are we willing to inflict on ourselves, for how long, in how many waves, to save how many lives (for now! thanks Craig)? It's not a novel sort of question. Life is full of risks we can't afford to eliminate entirely. Here's another way to look at it: cost/benefit analyses on pollution, radiation, etc simply assign a value to life and make the calculation -- I've read that it's conventionally about US$ 9 million, not sure how arrived at. But I'm watching livelihoods lost, businesses shuttered that will probably never reopen, educations curtailed, investments decimated, civil liberties endangered, etc, and thinking somebody really needs to start doing the math.

On the other hand the numbers we're talking about here are truly shocking:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Note this is not a paper written by some Youtube punks, the group of modellers at the Imperial College in London is generally considered to be one of the best in the world.

NB: I just noticed the link to the paper was already posted here, cf. #26. Sorry.

Hermann

Last edited:
Maybe Zeiss' timing is good.

As I set here, in place, wondering about the damage and even my survival,
I am thinking about what I have not done in life , what I still want to do.

Thinking high end optics as a reward to me for surviving ,
something to look forward to,
or maybe other things are more important

who was it, Samuel Johnson, who said more or less
"knowing you will be hung in a fortnight can focus your attention"

???
edj

Last edited:
On the other hand the numbers we're talking about here are truly shocking:
As the costs will also be, so I'm hoping someone will pay attention to the other side of the ledger also. Presumably Imperial College has economists and psychologists as well?

NB: I just noticed the link to the paper was already posted here, cf. #26. Sorry.
No problem, I actually read it this time. I was struck by the observation that half the critical patients die anyway even with the medical care we're making sacrifices to try to preserve, and by the final two paragraphs of the conclusion, which echo what I've been saying: the socioeconomic costs of this aggressive suppression approach (as opposed to mere mitigation) will be enormous, have never been attempted before for so long, and "How populations and societies will respond remains unclear." Indeed.

(Note: I would revise my previous reference to the "elderly" (post 24) but it's too late to edit. The latest news is that 38% of patients admitted to ICU here are ages 20-54; information changes so quickly it's hard to know what's going on. It's not primarily a question of young vs old, just of who will happen to get seriously ill as the majority don't, which also is still poorly understood.)

And back on topic: Appreciation of nature is going to become even more important for sanity in the coming weeks. An ideal time to introduce a new top-of-the-line bino... for the few who still think they can afford it.

Well, unfortunately both regarding binoculars and Covid-19 . . .

Swarovski has announced the cessation of production from last Wednesday 18th March for at least 2 weeks
at: https://www.swarovskioptik.com/press/COVID_19
Presumedly Zeiss - and others such as Leica, Meopta and Kahles - will be doing something similar shortly

John

Attachments

• Swarovski & Convid.jpg
    Swarovski & Convid.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 61
Is the production of binoculars more risky than say the manufacture of medical ventilators?
Regards,
B.

No, probably not more risky but definitely more foolish at the moment, otherwise why bother heeding good advice. Why ramp up and continue production if they're going to remain unsold whilst sitting in a warehouse for months The former is not essential whereas the latter are vital. The logistics behind producing important medical equipment will no doubt take precedent and be supported by Governments. Zeiss will follow soon I'm sure.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back