• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coronavirus and the launch of the Zeiss SF 32mm (3 Viewers)

Sf

Pat, I know the thread did migrate, my bad. But it does look like things will be delayed a bit,.... although the mail order business is still going full bore so the majority of new SFs sold, will likely be ordered through the mail not on the store shelf.

Andy W.

Thank you Mark post #75.

I am trying to leave letters for 3 days and magazines in plastic wrappers longer before opening.

However, I am having to handle plastic milk bottles after a day or so.
I don't know if 5C is worse than 20C.

Also I need help with some things, so persons helping me are the main source of possible problems.

I would have little problem isolating for months, but it is the contact with others that I cannot properly avoid.

My friend was a senior research chemist handling very difficult material daily.
He is leaving letters in piles. Day 1, day 2 and day 3. He opens them after 3 days, or if urgent wearing protective gloves etc. This is routine for him.

It is the stress factor that is difficult. I watch my breathing.
Also relaxing T.V.

Regards,
B.

The virus is less persistent on warmer surfaces, so maybe spray the milk bottles with 90% isopropanol as an extra precaution. Navy rum is 75% ethanol and would also serve at a pinch.

Friends

This post is not intended to cut off this thread but to inform you that there are other threads about Coronavirus/Covid-19 and everything associated with the pandemic over on Ruffled Feathers and you no longer need to Join it to participate, just dive in as you do here.

Lee

The Zeiss roll-out of SF32 is continuing and from US newsletter I have grabbed a couple of the photos used. You have seen one of them before but it was low quality whereas this one looks better.

Lee

Attachments

• Zeiss_Product-76Red.jpg
    Zeiss_Product-76Red.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 191
  • ZEISS_VICTORY_SF_x32_TopRed.jpg
    ZEISS_VICTORY_SF_x32_TopRed.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 145
Lee
I have noticed that all the images I've seen so far have shown the eyecups in the down position though perhaps not in some of the video footage, coincidence or a marketing strategy to appear as small and as compact as their Austrian cousins.

Lee
I have noticed that all the images I've seen so far have shown the eyecups in the down position though perhaps not in some of the video footage, coincidence or a marketing strategy to appear as small and as compact as their Austrian cousins.

Pat
You are spending too much time indoors due to Covid-19 and starting to imagine conspiracies ;).

I believe this is done by all bino companies for aesthetic reasons: binos just look uglier with the eyecups extended because it segregates the integration of the eyecup from the overall design of the optical tubes. Take a look at the following websites from Hawke, Kowa and Opticron: eyecups screwed down is simply the normal way of imaging binos for catalogue and website purposes.

https://uk.hawkeoptics.com/binoculars.html

https://www.kowaoptic.com/optics-range/binoculars/genesis-prominar/

http://opticron.vertouk.com/our-products/binoculars

Lee

........I believe this is done by all bino companies for aesthetic reasons: binos just look uglier with the eyecups extended because it segregates the integration of the eyecup from the overall design of the optical tubes. ..................Lee

I agree Lee, but with the FL models, particularly the x32 models, Zeiss usually showed them in the "ugly" version. Something I never understood, particularly since I need to have the eyecups down anyway.

Last edited:
The photo thing being discussed is a somewhat mute subject. Binoculars are normally used in the lower
eyecup position and many may like to raise them. For instance Zeiss, has made their cases fit very tight,
and meant to be stored in the lower position. The reason is simple for that, less damage with handling.

If some may remember the Zeiss Terra originally shipped without a proper case but just a simple sack.
They did come out with a proper case later, and it was a very tight fit with covers and strap. The eyecups need to be in the lower position for casing. I am familiar as I ordered one.

I recall going over this issue directly with Mike Jenson, head of Zeiss USA at the time.

So, company photos are taken of binoculars with eyecups lowered. Enough said, this should be the end of the discussion. ;)

Jerry

Hi Binastro,

I go along with all you say.

One thing I'd add (this from experience for instance with sporting injuries) is that while four months or any period of time can see like aeons when looking ahead, once you get to the end and look back time seems to have been much shorter. Or at least I'm hoping that will also apply in the current circumstances. I absolutely agree about the importance of not getting too stressed and therefore avoiding continuous subjection to the dramatic and negative slant of almost all the news.

When immersed in other activities, even simple repetitive things like washing the dishes, I feel much happier.

All the best,

Tom

Once you have come face to face with a Mountain Goat you don't scare easily. This one has just looked a Zeiss SF and was amazed at the amount of green tint. Look's like he need's a little dental work also.

Hey Dennis, if you've ever seen the coloration of most British teeth you'd give that goat a dental hygiene award! (Bird Forum members excepted, of course...)

Tom

Would anyone who is clever with a computer and simple image manipulating or arrangement like to post a side by side image comparison showing the relative size of a Victory FL 8x32 against a new Victory SF 8x32?

I just can't quite imagine how big the SF will seem, even after looking at the advertising. Comparing the specs doesn't quite give me the picture either. We know the SF 42s are pretty sizeable compared with FLs. (I know that ergonomics may still be better with the rearward weight distribution for instance.)

Thank you,

Tom

Tom:
Don't be bothered by a little bit longer size of the Victory SF, bigger is better and the improvements over
the FL are many.

Jerry

Jerry, what is the significance of the penguins in the Avatar? and Central park?

Andy W.

I am just trying to lighten things up a bit. ;)

Those birds look happy, so everyone stay safe and get out and look at
some birds...if you can.

We will get through this. Pray and give thanks....

Jerry

Would anyone who is clever with a computer and simple image manipulating or arrangement like to post a side by side image comparison showing the relative size of a Victory FL 8x32 against a new Victory SF 8x32?

I just can't quite imagine how big the SF will seem, even after looking at the advertising. Comparing the specs doesn't quite give me the picture either. We know the SF 42s are pretty sizeable compared with FLs. (I know that ergonomics may still be better with the rearward weight distribution for instance.)

Thank you,

Tom

Tom
Here is something that might help you gauge the size of SF32.

When holding SF32 with an open-hinge grip, so with second finger just underneath the second bridge, all three fingers fit around the barrel and first finger lies comfortably on the focuser. In other words the main bulk of SF32 from focus wheel and second bridge, down to the third bridge is actually contained within my hand.

Lee

Last edited:
I am just trying to lighten things up a bit. ;)

Those birds look happy, so everyone stay safe and get out and look at
some birds...if you can.

We will get through this. Pray and give thanks....

Jerry

I like it Jerry. The Penguins look as though they are having a laugh, and who's to say they aren't?

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back