• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coronavirus and the launch of the Zeiss SF 32mm (2 Viewers)

Update: Zeiss, Leica and Meopta

As yet Zeiss does not seem to have posted a message about the effects of Covid-19 on its operations

However yesterday, Andreas Kaufmann of Leica Camera AG (which also manufacturers Leica binoculars, telescopes and sights) posted a message at:
https://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2020/Message-AK
Leica has implemented various control measures and at this stage production is still taking place. However, interruptions from suppliers are expected

Silmilarly, Meopta is currently still in operation having also implemented control measures, see: https://www.meopta.com/en/news/curr...res-to-reduce-the-risk-of-covid-19-infection/

Understandably, both Leica and Meopta note that the situation is under constant review

John

As yet Zeiss does not seem to have posted a message about the effects of Covid-19 on its operations

However yesterday, Andreas Kaufmann of Leica Camera AG (which also manufacturers Leica binoculars, telescopes and sights) posted a message at:
https://en.leica-camera.com/World-of-Leica/Leica-News/Global/2020/Message-AK
Leica has implemented various control measures and at this stage production is still taking place. However, interruptions from suppliers are expected

Silmilarly, Meopta is currently still in operation having also implemented control measures, see: https://www.meopta.com/en/news/curr...res-to-reduce-the-risk-of-covid-19-infection/

Understandably, both Leica and Meopta note that the situation is under constant review

John

About Zeiss, go to: https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...-weiterfuehren-will-44655488.html&prev=search

Lee

This might have been suggested before, so my apologies for not having read through the entire thread.

Having spent quite some time on leisurely walks in our Helsinki neighbourhood and its splendid nature preserves now that our government is telling us to keep our distance from our fellow travellers and to stay indoors or in the nature, I have seen what looks like an unprecedented number of people with binoculars. Lots of them look like they are new to birding, with new inexpensive or medium-price binoculars.

Looks like people are evaluating what are the things that still can be done, and one of them (for now) is spending time in the nature. To make that more interesting, birding is an obvious thing that comes to peoples' mind.

If Zeiss can get the SF x32's running, I predict they will sell well. The only problem is that in the current age of uncertainty, to many people cheap binoculars start looking more like the safe choice than expensive ones.

Kimmo

I have also been out birding locally in the last few days, and have seen more folks out than usual. Many with families, but not everyone with bins, or even looking for birds. Schools are closed, as are many workplaces, so people are just taking the opportunity to get outside, and let their kids blow off steam. However, I've talked to individuals who ask what I'm looking at, and I point out whats around. This condition we are in may actually help fuel a new found appreciation for nature, and in the process, birding and the 'accessories' that make it more immersive and engaging. Its a hopeful thought. I have shared views through my scope as well, (which some decline. )

Getting out to bird these days is very therapeutic. If that catches on, binoculars may do well.

-Bill

I'm taking my Zeiss Pocket out into the prison yard. Can see much better with it now there's no pollution. The feeling of looking at stuff a mile away is priceless when you are locked up all day.

Edmund

Contamination & Disinfection of Binoculars

With apologies to Jerry (post #55) and any others . . .

The subjects were briefly commented on at the start of this thread
For those wanting more specific information, Roger Cicala at Lens Rentals recently posted on disinfecting camera equipment - along with physical spaces
Obviously parts can be directly related to disinfecting binoculars. And as with other posts by Roger it makes interesting reading
The post can be found at: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/03/how-to-disinfect-camera-equipment-and-spaces/

John

I now think the SF 32mm will not reach the outlets till late summer / autumn here in the UK at the earliest. People are supposed to be social distancing, staying at home etc . I'm uncertain how the units are shipped to the UK at the moment but surely movement of non essential cargo freight will be reduced by grounded aircraft and ferry services.

I now think the SF 32mm will not reach the outlets till late summer / autumn here in the UK at the earliest. People are supposed to be social distancing, staying at home etc . I'm uncertain how the units are shipped to the UK at the moment but surely movement of non essential cargo freight will be reduced by grounded aircraft and ferry services.

I think there are no guarantees about anything but at the moment there is no sign of cross-channel ferries being cut back or limited to vital supplies when supermarkets say supply is no problem just crazy demand. Of course it is possible the ferry companies could be hit by employees getting the virus but the number of ferries and routes available suggests that freight will continue.

So at some point you may be right Pat, but I don't think we are there yet.

Lee

Thank you John for the link to Lens Rentals.
Most useful.

I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't share binoculars.

I leave letters on the floor for, generally 3 days, but sometimes less.
When the milk gets delivered I leave it outside for a few hours. This isn't really long enough.
Then I take off the outer plastic wrapping. Put this in the rubbish bag. Wipe the table surface with a wet kitchen towel, although I should use something better. Then I wash my hands and wrists for 20 seconds or more.
Because my hands are a bit raw I use skin cream sometimes afterwards.

It may be that a plastic milk bottle in a fridge is potentially bad for longer than at room temperature.
Perhaps someone knows?

My cameras and binoculars are only used by me.

As to mixing household chemicals, one should be cautious.
Once my mother mixed some household things in the kitchen sink and there was a loud explosion.
I always denied to her that it happened, although it was very loud. I shouldn't have teased her like this.

In school one of the boys pinched some chemical and put it in a tin. While he was sitting in class there was a sudden explosion and there was I think a yellow cloud surrounding his head. He lost his eyebrows. Possibly sulphur related?

I threw something in an open coal fire and singed my eyebrows, but I can't remember what it was.

For years I have pressed the lift/elevator buttons with the end of a key, but I am now not going in the elevator and haven't been out for a few days.
The door knobs I handle with a thick kitchen towel, and throw it away.

Regards,
B.

I just went out to the rear garden, car park.
Lovely sunny day, but cold east wind.

080/15 knots 2/8 cloud 9C dewpoint -1C visibility~40km 1026hPa.

I didn't take my camera, which I normally do, as I wanted to focus on doing things right.
I used the stairs, but didn't touch the banisters.
One kitchen towel for door handles, another kitchen towel for outside door knobs and latch.
I threw these away when back inside and washed my hands/wrists for 20 plus seconds.

There are few visible aircraft, but I hear the regular midnight flights probably going to Australia/New Zealand and plenty of helicopters.
There is air traffic but much reduced. It may be that air cargo has increased to use otherwise empty aircraft but I don't know.
I don't know how the air slots will be protected as some of these are normally worth millions.
The airline industry will probably be much changed.

B.

It may be that a plastic milk bottle in a fridge is potentially bad for longer than at room temperature.
Perhaps someone knows?

Nothing is really known about how long the virus can persist on surfaces ... you don't know the original concentration or 'half-life' either.

If you have bleach then I understand c25ml in 1 litre of water will make a suitable strong disinfectant that will kill viruses that you can wipe (or mist if you use an old empty spray bottle) and effectively kill any pathogens on surfaces, eg

.https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/disinfecting-your-home.html

Bleaching binoculars? - depends what colour you wish them to end up?

I have actually been spending more time outdoors at our local nature preserve, except today of course (rain). Have not seen any others at the times I have been there.

Andy W.

Thank you Mark post #75.

I am trying to leave letters for 3 days and magazines in plastic wrappers longer before opening.

However, I am having to handle plastic milk bottles after a day or so.
I don't know if 5C is worse than 20C.

Also I need help with some things, so persons helping me are the main source of possible problems.

I would have little problem isolating for months, but it is the contact with others that I cannot properly avoid.

My friend was a senior research chemist handling very difficult material daily.
He is leaving letters in piles. Day 1, day 2 and day 3. He opens them after 3 days, or if urgent wearing protective gloves etc. This is routine for him.

It is the stress factor that is difficult. I watch my breathing.
Also relaxing T.V.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back