• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crane, Izumi, Kyushu, Japan (1 Viewer)

TWM

This was passed off as a Juv Hooded Crane but I think it could be a Sandhill Crane (Lesser).
Thoughts.

Attachments

• 6U8A5111.jpg
    6U8A5111.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 6U8A5113.jpg
    6U8A5113.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
  • 6U8A5114.jpg
    6U8A5114.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 51
I'm only judging by available pictures (not from experience). Most juvenile/immature hooded cranes seem to be darker, and to have somewhat defined border between darker and lighter parts of plumage. On the other hand, immature sandhill cranes seem to have noticeable parts of beige/brownish plumage. Is there a chance it's an immature common crane?

I think it was too small for Common Crane. ( Only one adult Common Crane had been recorded there this year).

I'm only judging by available pictures (not from experience). Most juvenile/immature hooded cranes seem to be darker, and to have somewhat defined border between darker and lighter parts of plumage. On the other hand, immature sandhill cranes seem to have noticeable parts of beige/brownish plumage. Is there a chance it's an immature common crane?
I agree that it seems to be a immature common crane.

What service do you use to see reports for that area, if it’s Ebird that might a reason why there’s a lack of reports.

It looks not dissimilar to a supposed hybrid Hooded x Common... I posted about its id yesterday (no replies yet).

I think they may be Common 2CY too

Cheers
gerben

I had a look at eBird as well. Common crane is rare, that's a fact, but they are reported daily. There are many reports with photos, so they are probably not fake. The checklists usually have numbers like 1000 hooded crane, 100 white-naped crane, 10 sandhill crane, 4 common crane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back