• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curio 7x21 vs. CL 8x25 pocket (19 Viewers)

I'd complain. Looks used.
Maybe used. It was good to get your opinion, as it all helps. But apart from the lack of paint on that bit everything is absolutely pristine. Not a speck of dust, fingermark, etc. I checked very closely on receiving it. Straps still in original packaging. Box entirely unmarked inside and out, etc. It's no problem because they're returnable. It's a reputable UK seller. They've offered £50 off. Deciding tomorrow whether to keep them. I don't really need the money, tbh.

I again tried out the Curio and the CL Pocket, today, for quite some time. After everything I wrote in my long comment above, I now prefer the Curio, and in fact am very much warming to it. If it didn't exist, I'd probably be fairly happy with the CL Pocket though. But on balance the Curio is preferable for me. I'll either keep the one I have, or get a replacement. Today I got used to using it - found it easier to hold and also easier to see through than I initially thought. I found myself resting my thumb against the side of my nose which really improved stability and getting the eye distance right. And regarding getting the focus right at long distances it's little or no different to other binoculars (not sure why I didn't realise that yesterday). And the small size and low weight really tip the balance for me, because I'd be taking them on trips where I'm also carrying a camera and lenses. One video review on YT, says the pouch on the CL Pocket is better and more snug, but the Curio pouch, while fairly big, is also very nice, though a zip would be preferable.

Another thing I noticed today is what's shown on the photo below. During manufacture (I assume), one part of the rubber around one of the eyepieces has been set nearer to the barrel than it is on the rest of the eyepiece. There's far less of a gap, in other words. The barrel is not central within the rubber casing. Anyone else come across this? On the other eyepiece, the gap is the same all the way around. This issue doesn't affect using the binocular. The optics seem perfect.

Attachments

• curio_eyepiece.jpg
    curio_eyepiece.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 5
Another thing I noticed today is what's shown on the photo below. During manufacture (I assume), one part of the rubber around one of the eyepieces has been set nearer to the barrel than it is on the rest of the eyepiece. There's far less of a gap, in other words. The barrel is not central within the rubber casing. Anyone else come across this? On the other eyepiece, the gap is the same all the way around. This issue doesn't affect using the binocular. The optics seem perfect.
Glad you like the Curio, it is a fantastic bit of kit.

The chip on the paintwork is annoying but something you could do yourself unless you cotton-wool your bino's. I would accept the £50 but that is absolutely your call.

I have just checked my Curio's and there is a very slight difference/gap on the left ocular. The rubber armour that continues to the eyepiece is unsupported and thus flexible which may explain a reason for the 'gap'.

If you unscrew both eyepieces off the body you will see what I mean, the armour is very flexible and the circle of rubber where it meets the eyepiece in its down position is not quite concentric on my left barrel and I suspect that you will find similar once you have removed the eyepieces from your Curio. As you say it has no effect on the optical quality.

Just to the left of the focus wheel. I'm pretty certain these are brand new. Apart from the missing paint, the pouch, box and everything in it is in that condition when you can tell it's highly unlikely to be an item that has been returned...
I'm with Dyrlege on this; definitely a pre-owned binocular there.
Not unusual either for someone to use a product, but never even take the accessories out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back