• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Czek Rep - southern hills around Sumava (1 Viewer)

You're maybe just in time to catch some calling examples. Depends in which part of Sumava you will be (how high). Black will almost certainly come and investigate if you can imitate one of their whistles. I try it for a very short time in a new area to see if they are there, and only once whatever happens. They are quite common throughout the region even visiting town parks at low altitude. At least 4 vocal pairs around our village. 3 toeds seem to have increased and moved a little lower since the spruce bark beetle infestation. One of the many walks between Srni and Prasily or around Kvilda or Modrava (towards the German border) would have them, but without a call the forests are big! White backed are now rare and the best place is still the well known area north of volary (also has 3 toed). Middle spotted are in many parks e.g. Blatna and Horazdovice where you can also find grey headed and getting rarer nowadays, lesser spots. Wrynecks are fairly common throughout but a good spot is Pekna where you can also look/listen for an early Rosefinch depending how late you go. Green and Great spots could be anywhere/everywhere. Hazel hen is worth keeping in mind as they are wide spread in Sumava but nomadic and cautious, so you will most likely see them by chance crossing your track when looking for a woody if you walk quietly!
Tengs and Pigmy owl are widespread but Tengs is rarely heard during the day, so after dark is the norm and if you don't want to risk disturbing them by imitating their call you will have to be lucky. Tengs are deep in the coniferous wood but if there is a patch of deciduous, especially beech, especially with Black woody holes (quite likely in Sumava) you could be very lucky. Pigmy can be seen before dark, especially if you follow the plaintive monotonous whistle (sometimes with a little trill at the end), in relative clearings in the conifers or even on the edge of the wood. Obviously people are wary of putting out places for Urals which are still pretty rare here but it's no secret that the area around Stozec (south of the vltava river) west of Volary still has them. If I pass a quarry in Scotland I park and scan the sky for peregrines, if you pass one in Czecho come back at night and listen for Eagle owls! If you chance upon a Little or Barn owl in the farming areas on your way to the hills please report it - they are now much rarer than Piggies and Tengs IMO!
Getting my hip replaced so cannot be there myself this Easter. Hope you have as much fun as I usually do!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back