• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Grey Heron (1 Viewer)

Foxy

I photographed this Grey Heron at Porthgwarra, Cornwall on 1st October '23 when the seawatching was truly dreadful. It appears to be very dark, have a very long neck and extensive black cap and it got me musing on why it is a Grey Heron and not a Great Blue Heron. I looked at the literature on line and discovered that it isn't that great. can anyone point me in the direction of a good site so that when I do find a Great Blue Heron I will know it!
Thanks

Attachments

• Grey Heron 1.10.23.JPG
    Grey Heron 1.10.23.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 74
  • Grey Heron, Porthgwarra 1.10.23.JPG
    Grey Heron, Porthgwarra 1.10.23.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 73
In this image there is a white spot on the wing which would be rufous on the GBHe. In flight there are actually two areas which differ like that. The rufous on the thighs when seen well is also a pointer. Notice that young GBHe may be less solidly colored on the thighs.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back