• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

December Moths (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Not sure if dare start this one ... but hey.

Last night, 1st December, min. temp 6C

Yellow-line Quaker 1, worn

At least the Combined List, if we do one, will be relatively easy ...

Last night min 5C. Rain in the night/am but inside was dry. Checked at 10am!

Turnip Moth 1 in the trap

Outside -

LBAM 1
Blastobasis lacticolella 1 aka London Dowd

Last night the LBAM, 3 caterpillars of various varieties and a worm around the trap.

11/12. Ran the trap for six hours. 2 Chestnut and 3 Dark Chestnut. Nice to get at least some records for Dec.

Three each of December & Winter Moths were waiting for me this morning. Couple more milder nights in the offing, so will have another go soon.

Saw lots of Winter Moths flying on the way home, over the lane I was going along, so put the trap out and within an hour it was pouring. Result zero moths.
Forecast had been for a dry night for last few days but changed yet again at the last moment, proving how useless the phone apps are for mothing.

I ran my trap last night, there was a little rain and it was colder than the forecast said. I got one Winter Moth and three December Moths.
Back on the 6th I added Agonopterix heracliana to my year list, found it in the log store.

15/12. 2 Dark Chestnuts and 1 Mompha subbistrigella.
Was rather hoping for a December Moth, given it's December, but none available apparently.

8 Mottled Umber & 3 Winter Moth by security lights at Ruislip this morning. Much colder after a mild day with many downpours yesterday & overnight.

Took a long walk this morning and saw Winter Moths on tree trunks in several places.

Seasons Greetings to my fellow moth-ers on here. I have enjoyed the reports of catches from different areas of the country.
I hope you all have a Happy Christmas.
And next year brings that special moth for your garden list.

Happy Christmas and a good (better!) 2021 too !!!

I trapped on the 4th, 10th and 13th but with nil moths. Other than that generally been very windy or wet or combination of both and cold, so not trapped.

Only excitement (not) was a White-shouldered Clothes Moth yesterday, now sadly deceased ;-)

"Only excitement (not) was a White-shouldered Clothes Moth yesterday, now sadly deceased ;-)"

Sorry for your loss.
All it wanted for Christmas was a pair of socks :)

Moth trap was on last night, 25th, Christmas Day. First though I had to tip the c3 inches of water out of the base (should probably drill a small hole or two in the tub and find somewhere more under cover to store when not in use). Min 3C. And there were moths!

Popped out at 9pm - there was a moth on the outside - a smart Red-green Carpet, appropriate decorative colours for the day. Checked again at 10am, 2 moths on the outside, nothing in.

Red-green Carpet 1
Winter Moth 1 (NFG, lifer?)

Forecast 40mph winds gusting to 61, so may give it a miss tonight ...

25/12. Ran trap through the night, just in case Santa was going to leave a late present. Checked it at 05:50 this morning, mothless.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back