• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (3 Viewers)

A few recent photos from Carsington. First two taken today from sheepwash. Second two taken form P.Stanley hide last Wednesday.
I sat there for ages waiting for the Scaup to wake up but it never did.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 49
Nice pics Dave - all that practice will pay off for when the "big one" drops in......we must be due some luck surely!!
Its the time of year for predictions gang - anyone want to suggest a "biggie" for Derbyshire this Spring? Last years Red Foots were good, so what will it be.....?
I am going for Whiskered Tern one warm afternoon at Wyver, moving on to roost at Carsi on the tern raft.
Second guess will be a Purple Heron at Oggie, and third a Black Kite drifting casually over Ambergate woods.
So name your top three!

2 Green Sandpipers at Barrow GP this morning (on one of the pits best viewed from the public footpath across the Trent at Ingleby). There was also the very odd sight of 3 Cormorants casually soaring way up on the thermals with a Buzzard.

Also 3 Swallows and 1 Sand Martin over Ingleby.

Happy birding,

Matt

As for the big 3......

I think Willington GP Canal Scrape is gonna turn up something really big soon -Kentish Plover.

I've spent/wasted many hours of my life trying to disprove this theory but I feel Nut Wood will land something big soon - so I'll go for a singing and showy Subalpine Warbler there.

There's a new tiny bit of watermeadow I've recently discovered in Findern which I rather pretentiously have taken to calling 'Findern Flash' - there's only Mallards there so far but surely tailor made for Squacco Heron....

A futile post-work drive the length of the county in fading light going for Dotterel may be a tad more realistic however....though seeing any of my local patch's big 3 (Common Sandpiper, Great Crested Grebe and Nuthatch :eek!:) would no doubt ease the pain!!

Matt

great photos dave just tried playing with the redshank one darkend it slightly what do you think

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 44
Nice pics Dave - all that practice will pay off for when the "big one" drops in......we must be due some luck surely!!
Its the time of year for predictions gang - anyone want to suggest a "biggie" for Derbyshire this Spring? Last years Red Foots were good, so what will it be.....?
I am going for Whiskered Tern one warm afternoon at Wyver, moving on to roost at Carsi on the tern raft.
Second guess will be a Purple Heron at Oggie, and third a Black Kite drifting casually over Ambergate woods.
So name your top three!

Oh I'd say Carsington was due another albatross.

Big flock of Fieldfare, 200+ at Rowthorne last weekend.

So name your top three!

Cheers Dan. First one is for another Great White Egret down Wyver, I missed the one in 2005 :-C I'm also going for either a Red-Rumped Swallow or an Alpine Swift. Not really a big one but I'd like a drake Garganey down Wyver.

Wyver lane highlights for 23/03/09.

Not had a Sand Martin down there yet but I did have 3 Swallows today. Also a singing Skylark somewhere high above. Fair bit of raptor activity with Buzzards, Sparrowhawks and Kestrels all displaying.

Wildfowl includes 30+ Wigeon, 14 Teal, 3 Shoveler, 5 Tufties, female Pochard and a drake Goosander. An Oystercatcher on the island with 2 reported yesterday. Pink Footed Goose with c40 Greylags.

Chiff Chaff in song down the bottom of the lane by the butts. Also by the butts I caught a glimpse of a bird carrying nesting material. I'm pretty sure it was a Linnet. Not entirely sure where it went either but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Tawny Owl calling form deep inside the woods and a Little Owl calling from fields behind hide.

Last edited:
Big 3, how about Bonaparte's Gull,tomorrow at Carsi,another White tailed Eagle over Beeley triangle and a Black winged Stilt at Wyver!
Swallows eh Dave, good stuff.

Dipper still at Meden Mill in Pleasley today, when it's on the opposite side of the bank it's not a bad county bird for Notts listers. Looked territorial too, chasing away the Grey Wag, don't push the bird too much and who knows...

Went up to Carsington today with CliveA and had 3 GN Divers and 3 Sand Martins. 4 Buzzards over the woods, and a pair of Peregrines reported by two other birders. 8 Goldeneye from Sheepwash. 4 Curlew at dusk and 32 Pied Wags on stones island.

With the last nights wind and rain we was hoping that something would've been blown in but It wasn't to be.

Managed to get a photo of the 3 G.N.Divers all together. Quite distant though.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 62
I think I've put this query in the wrong place before so I'll ask it here now.

I'm told Dovedale is a good place to see some Dippers which is a bogey bird for me so I am keen to see one and get some pics.Can anyone tell me which spot there to aim for and what is the best time/month to see one.

Max.

I'm told Dovedale is a good place to see some Dippers which is a bogey bird for me so I am keen to see one and get some pics.Can anyone tell me which spot there to aim for and what is the best time/month to see one.

Max.

Not been to Dovedale for ages, gets too busy for my liking.Plenty of Dippers about there though, any time now is fine for seeing them. I would plump for an early morning visit sometime fairly soon, before the crowds build up too much.Most of the small fast flowing rivers in the Derbyshire dales hold Dippers.
If photographing please do not get too close at this sensitive time, as I believe problems have been caused by photographers disturbing breeding birds. Good luck.

Max.

I wouldn't worry too much about the crowds, last time I was there the Dippers didn't seem to mind them too much, the problem is more likely to be the dim light in the dale. I imagine it's why photographers seem prefer the broader Lathkill and Bradford Dales for their Dippers.
Anyway, practically any stretch from the car park at the Thorpe end will have Dippers, Raven tend to pass over the area and I bet there are still Siskin in the car park too, probably with some fairly tame Nuthatch.

Not been to Dovedale for ages, gets too busy for my liking.Plenty of Dippers about there though, any time now is fine for seeing them. I would plump for an early morning visit sometime fairly soon, before the crowds build up too much.Most of the small fast flowing rivers in the Derbyshire dales hold Dippers.
If photographing please do not get too close at this sensitive time, as I believe problems have been caused by photographers disturbing breeding birds. Good luck.

Thanks.I'll have a go soon.

Max.

Finally tempted enough to take the trip down the A38 for the Foremark RNG after seeing those exceptional pics by Kev Joynes on Birdguides. After waiting through the showers it showed superbly right in front of both car parks today, maybe 20 yards out.
In the same spot I picked up my first Wheatear this year too.

The Foremark Red-necked Grebe was still showing really well this morning, in great light and the water was very calm.

Attachments

• red-necked grebe 6.jpg
    red-necked grebe 6.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back