• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you use your Nikon roofs in the rain? (3 Viewers)

agus_m

Argentina
I own a Monarch HG and I post this question because despite the claimed waterproofness, I am not comfortable using them when it is raining and I think this defeats the purpose of it being waterproof. I don't know if you have read the manual of Nikon binos, but they say that "movable parts" have to be dried before "moving" them, I don't remember the exact wording. But I am not sure then if I am not supposed to use the focus wheel when it is raining, since it is a "movable part". Furthermore, I don't know what counts as "dry", since I can't make sure the mechanism inside is fully dry unless I let it dry for hours. In addition, the warranty doesn't cover water damages. This matter is also discussed here. Also, they don't provide a operational temperature range, they just warn to not leave the bino in the car when it is sunny, but no specific temperature range. In many parts of the world, the temperature can easily reach 40+ºC, but because of these warnings I don't dare to expose it to these environments. I want to know about your experiences. Do you use them in the rain, moving the focus wheel, or in hot environments? Have you had any problems?

I would be totally OK w/ using the MHG in the rain, they're designed for it. Yes, you would want to leave the out to get completely dry afterwards.

I almost never do take my binos out in the rain however, just to avoid having a streaky mess on the lenses afterward.

I own a Monarch HG and I post this question because despite the claimed waterproofness, I am not comfortable using them when it is raining and I think this defeats the purpose of it being waterproof. I don't know if you have read the manual of Nikon binos, but they say that "movable parts" have to be dried before "moving" them, I don't remember the exact wording. But I am not sure then if I am not supposed to use the focus wheel when it is raining, since it is a "movable part". Furthermore, I don't know what counts as "dry", since I can't make sure the mechanism inside is fully dry unless I let it dry for hours. In addition, the warranty doesn't cover water damages. This matter is also discussed here.
I never had any problems with binoculars that are waterproof. I actually wash my waterproof binoculars under the tap when they're really dirty, for instance after using them at the coast. No better way to get the salt off.
Also, they don't provide a operational temperature range, they just warn to not leave the bino in the car when it is sunny, but no specific temperature range. In many parts of the world, the temperature can easily reach 40+ºC, but because of these warnings I don't dare to expose it to these environments. I want to know about your experiences. Do you use them in the rain, moving the focus wheel, or in hot environments? Have you had any problems?
Hot environments are no problem IME. Don't leave them sitting in the car in the sun, put them under the driver's seat when you must leave them in the car. That's just about the coolest place.

Hermann

Absolutely....whatever I have I'm using it regardless of weather. Last year at Dauphin Island it rained every day I was there and sometimes most of the day. I have a slightly oversized Filson rain jacket and I keep it slightly zipped down where I can keep my binocular kinda out of the elements when not using it. That trip I used non-Lotutec FL 7X42 and non-Swaroclean NL 8X32 and managed and still saw some great birds with glasses wet and fogging and wet binoculars! I also try to keep my hand over the eyepieces of the binoculars I'm using. Make the best of it!

I sure wouldn't worry about Monarch HGs for sure.

Hot environments are no problem IME. Don't leave them sitting in the car in the sun, put them under the driver's seat when you must leave them in the car. That's just about the coolest place.
If they warn us to not leave them in a car in the sun, this implies that the binos could get damaged in some way by the heat.
And if they could get damaged inside a car in the sun for a couple of hours in Germany for instance (summer), it means that they could easily get damaged if I just walk around with the binos in places near the equator in the summer, since it can easily get +40ºC degrees in the shades. It would be much more convenient if Nikon just provided a temperature range of operation/storage, at least a conservative estimate, rather than vague warnings. All other manufacturers specify storage and usage temperature ranges, which are quite reasonable, of up to around 60ºC.

If they warn us to not leave them in a car in the sun, this implies that the binos could get damaged in some way by the heat.
Well, yes. But the temperature in a car on a sunny day in the summer quickly rises to 60+ centigrade even if the temperature outside in "only" 35 centigrade. Doesn't take long, an hour at most. That's why we have lots of warnings here in the media every summer about leaving kids or pets unattended in a parked car.

And if you leave an item in the car in the sun, e.g. on the back shelf, the temperatures of that item will get even higher, well over 75 centigrade. And yes, at such temperatures there's some chance that e.g. binoculars may get damaged.
And if they could get damaged inside a car in the sun for a couple of hours in Germany for instance (summer), it means that they could easily get damaged if I just walk around with the binos in places near the equator in the summer, since it can easily get +40ºC degrees in the shades.
Depends on where they are in the car. My "reserve pair" has been living quite happily under the driver's seat of my car. No problem. And I seriously doubt any modern binocular can be damaged if you walk around with it in the summer. At least not by the heat.
It would be much more convenient if Nikon just provided a temperature range of operation/storage, at least a conservative estimate, rather than vague warnings. All other manufacturers specify storage and usage temperature ranges, which are quite reasonable, of up to around 60ºC.
Let me be blunt: These warning are mainly for the idiots who'd leave a binocular in the sun on the back shelf in summer. And there undoubtedly are such people around. After all, every year children die because their parents left them in the car in the sun.

Hermann

"Let me be blunt: These warning are mainly for the idiots who'd leave a binocular in the sun on the back shelf in summer. And there undoubtedly are such people around. After all, every year children die because their parents left them in the car in the sun".

I got a chuckle out of the first two sentences, overall though, it is true. Additionally the popular warnings in instruction manuals of not looking at the sun with binoculars, same thing.

1000209710.jpg
1000209711.jpg
20240114_134125.jpg
20240114_130251.jpg
20240114_141830.jpg
20240114_140932.jpg
20240114_133925.jpg
20240114_134637.jpg
have used Nikon EDG at the heavy rain. two month ago.
still work nicely.

below photo is the x3 digiscope of birds under the rain that taken at that birding trip

but I think EDG's water repellent coating is not as good as Zeiss victory SF/ SFL and Leica noctivid.
the amount of smudges left on oculars by raindrops is little more then Loctutec of Zeiss and Aquardura of Leica. which used under not same day but similar circumstances.
maybe because EDG is fomer produced bino compared to them.

Last edited:
Hi,

while I don't own a Nikon roof, I would have absolutely no problem to use one in any kind of rain. I have done so (not on purpose) with my Nikon porros (E2 8x30 and SE 10x42) which are not waterproof and while they have fogged up at times, after drying them, they were fine and so far no fungus. This might be different for non-waterproof porros if you are living in very wet climate.

For any waterproof roof pair, rain is absolutely no problem and the recommended way to clean it is to rinse under the tap. Full immersion for extended time periods is a different cup of tea and there have been prominent failures... anyone remember the Leica submarine affair?

Joachim

"Leica submarine affair" :

All I can say is for a fact... My Leica 8X42 UVHD+ have BEEN about three feet in the backwater of the Elk River for probably about an hour and a half. Time for me to hike back to the Jeep and get a hatchet and cut down a sapling to fish them out. Which I did as I snagged the Rick Young UL harness and pulled them out. Immediately took them home, took off the eyecups, and rinsed them in the kitchen sink. Cleaned them off with a little Dawn detergent. When I say "as new," I'm taking as new. That was at last two years ago. I don't know what more you can ask of a binocular than that..

I live in a rainforest and use all of my binoculars in the rain, including a pair of Monarch 7s. It is no problem.
I do try to keep them as dry as possible though, because they don't work very well when the lenses are wet - meaning that I can't see through them very well. So, I like to use a binocular harness when it is rainy, like those made by Alaska Guide Creations or Marsupial Gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back