• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove Is Life (1 Viewer)

duvgurl

United States
Dove is life. I am an honorary dove watcher in my first year practicing. I have acquired a bird friend, potentially two. They have taken up residence at my house and have procreated in my fern. It is hanging on my porch. I did not get to witness the procreation, however, I am certain of it. There is evidence in the form of an egg in the nest that momma bird made. Maybe with the help of daddy bird. I have named them. Mamma bird is named Phillis, and daddy bird is named Phil. It is hard to tell Phil and Phillis apart. They have become one in their union. However, I believe that Phil is larger. Either that or Phillis has been eating well. Or has another egg on the way.
Since I have adopted this family, I feel as though I cannot eat poultry. Even the thought of eating unfertilized chicken eggs makes me sad. I cannot help but think of sweet little babes every time I see an egg.
Does anyone else have this problem? Am I alone in my guilt and my frightening thoughts? Should these thoughts keep me up at night? Should they haunt my dreams?
I also worry about predators. There is a neighborhood cat that roams free. I am thinking about setting up a camera to ensure the safety of my family. I live in constant fear that the cat will get to them before I can. I do not know the cat's name, or what it eats, but I call her Catzilla. She stares at my birds every morning. I must keep them safe. Dove is love. Dove is life.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.jpeg
    IMG_0203.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4659.png
    IMG_4659.png
    12.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0200.jpeg
    IMG_0200.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

For future reference we do not allow photos of nests or birds sitting on their nest on the site. I would only put a camera up if you are sure it will not scare the doves. You might talk to your local animal shelter or county animal control about getting a trap to try and catch the roaming female.

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

For future reference we do not allow photos of nests or birds sitting on their nest on the site. I would only put a camera up if you are sure it will not scare the doves. You might talk to your local animal shelter or county animal control about getting a trap to try and catch the roaming female.
I’m so sorry! I had no idea. I had seen pictures of other birds and didn’t realize they were not allowed of nests and birds nesting 🪹
I will try to figure out how to take them down! I am not good with technology. So if you can do it on your end you are more than welcome to.

Fantastic! I will reach out. I definitely want to keep the birds safe. I am already learning so much. What a fantastic group! In the meantime how would you recommend keeping them safe while ensuring that they are not scared away while I am at work?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back