• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck (Warwickshire, UK) (1 Viewer)

Matt Griffiths

ad. ♂ Blackcap
Hello all,
I've recently come across this interesting female duck at my local lakes. I thought she might be a hybrid, and took pics. Any thoughts?

Matt

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 66
agreed that it is 100% a female mallard, but certainly not as bog-standard as you'd have us believe; it has a very strong facial pattern, these birds often get wishfully misidentified as garganey!!!

So in conclusion, yeah, mallard.

Glad you posted that comment, nick. Yes it is a feamle mallard but I find it rather disparaging comment to call it 'as bog standard female mallard as you will ever find'. I find plenty of female mallards and they DO NOT look exactly like this!

agree it is not bog standard, but mallard it is.

some domestic races of mallard show such headpattern, but sometimes you also have it in birds looking "wild".

ok maybe not quite standard , but a very common face patten. I see and handle many with this type of face patten in Norfolk every year. Illistrations show the dark eyestripe in BWP and though not a stripe it does show a darkish cheek patch

Thanks guys for the ID help.

I only asked because she was most unlike the other female Mallards there and my thinking when I first posted was that she was Garganey x Mallard. My photos are poor, but in the field she is a very striking bird with a rather stripey face and a mainly dark upper mandible (dirty orange-grey area near bill tip only). Also, I only noticed her sometime last week, and so I thought she might've arrived recently (unlike the other Mallards).

Matt

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back