• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (27 Viewers)

Fewer birds (as expected) past Whitburn Obs in 3hrs from first light this morning, and amazingly no Sootys were seen. However still a few bits of interest:

Black-throated Diver
2 juv Mediterranean Gull
67 Little Gull
3 Pintail
46 Knot

Five Sooty's passed post 9am - upto 11.50 at least, two pairs and a single. Also 7 RT Divers, 3 Manx S'waters, 1 Bonxie and 2 Arctic Skuas.

Keith

Back to "bread and butter" birding after the excitement of seawatching earlier in the week. Checked out Whitburn Steel at high tide Wednesday 4-5pm and found an interesting selection of waders including 143 Redshank 102 Turnstone 68 Oystercatcher 6 Bar tailed Godwit 5 Purple Sands 2 Knot and a juvenile Curlew Sand

Also a few terns still present (Sandwich Common Arctic but the biggest surprise was a Pink footed Goose flushed from the shore.

Seawatching likely to be quiet for the next few days although there might be a little movement late Friday/early Saturday. However early indications are that next Tuesday will see a strong northerly wind which if it comes to fruition ought to spark off substantial passage - what is it with Tuesday's this autumn - Fea's Petrel and Great Shearwater this week and Great and Little Shearwater the previous week - does the seawatching God work weekends or something??????

I have posted this information for all in Northumberland & Durham, some may already be aware of this.
Brian

Environment Agency staff appeal for reports of dead otters
Environment Agency staff are appealing for people to tell them if they find a dead otter so that
information can be collected for a national project which is monitoring the health of the population.
T
he Newcastle-based team collect the bodies of dead otters and send them off to Cardiff University for
a post-mortem. This confirms how the otter died and reveals how healthy it was, its diet, and the levels
of chemicals in the body.
The post-mortem results are then fed into an Environment Agency database of the species for
England and Wales.
A 11-year study by the Environment Agency, which was published in June, showed that otter
populations are healthy and are expanding.
The work is still continuing and biodiversity officer Rachael McFarlane is urging people in
Northumberland and County Durham to contact her as soon as they spot a dead otter so she can
collect the body for analysis.
She said: “Otter populations are growing in the North East, and this is reflected in the number of otter
deaths that have been reported to us. The main problem seems to be with young otters that don’t
know much about road safety, leaving home and getting run over.
“We rely on people to report dead otters to us, and without this, we wouldn’t be able to undertake this
research to increase our knowledge about populations in the North East.”
Rachael has collected seven dead otters since October last year. They were mostly young males,
involved in traffic accidents.
The accidents occur when otters cross roads to either find new territory or because their normal paths
are blocked when water levels rise, making bridges and culverts impassable. All deaths reported to
the team are plotted on maps to identify where otter blackspots are occurring.
Staff can look at whether it is possible to carry out any improvements to make these areas safer with
otter crossing signs, reflectors and otter bridges within the channel.
Otter populations have begun to expand across the country following a decline in numbers between
the 1950s and 1980s. The results from the recent health study reinforces the view that one factor
behind this recovery may be decreasing levels of organochlorine chemicals (OCs) such as the
insecticides, dieldrin and aldrin.
The insecticide was used extensively by farmers but was withdrawn from use from 1962 and banned
by 1989 but research shows that it can take up to 25 years for 95 per cent of dieldrin in soil to
disappear.
If anyone finds a dead otter in Northumberland or County Durham, they should report it to
Environment Agency biodiversity officer Rachael McFarlane on 0191 203 4238
XX Month 2007

PECTORAL SANDPIPER:

An off chance visit to Castle Lake this afternoon has produced what myself and a member of the Bird club who i met there named Gary B, are 99% sure was a Pectoral Sandpiper. We both had clear views in good sunlight and were able to referance it at the time. Gary to contact other members via phone, i said i'd post it on here to let people know. On castle lake near the sewage works.5.20pm

Saturday- Castle Lake.

PECTORAL SANDPIPER:

An off chance visit to Castle Lake this afternoon has produced what myself and a member of the Bird club who i met there named Gary B, are 99% sure was a Pectoral Sandpiper. We both had clear views in good sunlight and were able to referance it at the time. Gary to contact other members via phone, i said i'd post it on here to let people know. On castle lake near the sewage works.5.20pm

NB.
There wil be further works & digger on site this Saturday from 08:00.
All volunteers very welcome.

During the week there have been 2 Little Egrets, 2 Ringed Plovers, 4 Greenshank, 3 Ruff, 2 Dunlin, 1 Green Sand, 1 Barnacle & 2 Egyptian Geese.
Yellow Wagtails & Sand Martins remain; Goldfinch & Linnet flocks building, as is Wagtail flock which had 60+.......... may well pull in a good 'un.
Birds moving through include 6 Pink footed Geese, Wigeon, Shoveller, Golden Plover, Snipe, 2Wheatear, Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtail, Skylarks & Spotted Flycatcher.

Hetton Bogs during the week - Water Rails very active, also highlights of Spotted Flycatcher & Hawfinch (CW)

Hetton Lyons - 1 Turtle Dove on wires between here & Eppleton Hall (SE/ MD)

Cheers
SE

The Chairman (rising early for once) reports that the Pectoral Sandpiper is still at Castle Lake this morning. Anther excellent bird for the new reserve.

Castle Lake

Pectoral Sandpiper still there at lunchtime feeding with 2-3 Ruff.
Well done Great Bustard and Gary.:clap:

Attachments

• pek 019.jpg
    pek 019.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 133
  • pek 017.jpg
    pek 017.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 109
1st time I have seen a Green woodpecker at Watergate park it flew in from the private hillhead wood also red kite 50ft above the roof tops at sunnyside

A new feeding station at Elemore didnt take long to attract birds,less than 48 hours since i first put Black Sunflower seed down,i counted around 25 individual birds there this afternoon, mostly Willow Tits, Coal Tits and Bullys so far , although it didnt take old snake eyes long to put in an appearance.

Attachments

• bot 004.jpg
    bot 004.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 70
  • pek 003.jpg
    pek 003.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 94
The Pectoral Sandpiper was still at Castle Lake late afternoon, though clearly mobile as I did a lap of the lake, A1 flashes and Allans Pool with no sign, then it was right infront of the sewage works on my return. Also 2 Little Egrets there, a 1st winter Mediterranean Gull amongst large numbers of Common and Black-headed, 2 Wheatears, 2 Yellow Wagtails and the usual wildfowl.

Attachments

• Pec2.jpg
    Pec2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Pec3.jpg
    Pec3.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 75
Seawatching was still good at Whitburn this morning. A Grey Phalarope was the highlight (north, then on sea for 5 mins), also at least 1150 Pink-footed Geese flew south, 30 Sooty Shearwaters, 35 Red-throated Divers and a decent number of skuas.

Attachments

• Bonxie 150907.jpg
    Bonxie 150907.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Castle Lake

3 Greenshank
3 Ruff
1 Pectoral Sandpiper
2 Snipe
7 Curlew
2 Little Egrets
1 Cormorant
7 Shoveller
6+ Twite
4 Yellow Wagtail
6 Sand Martin
1 Kingfisher

SE/CW/JO/AR et al

Last edited:
A huge flock of around 400 Linnets feeding on a freshly set farmers field at Elemore today. They were flying over the feeding station 100 at a time to drink at the Golfcourse lake.
Twite at Castle Lake today, could well be some amongst this lot as well.

Visible migration in just over 1hr over Harton Downhill (opp S. Shields Leas) this am: produced following:

1 Stock Dove
12 Pink-footed Geese
1 Grey Heron
1 Redpoll sp
438 Meadow Pipit
11 Swallow
1 Reed Bunting

Also 2 adult Mediterranean Gull at Leas S end plus Stonechats there and next to Marsden Hall

A reminder for those of you who have forgotten (or God forbid for some bizarre reason are NOT DBC members that this week see the first of the winter programme of indoor meetings. The time and place is from 7.30pm at the Tap & Spile PH in Framwellgate Moor - the topic that most amazing of gamebirds The Capercaillie! Besides what promises to be an excellent talk there will also be the chance to catch up with all the latest news, scandal and gossip on the birding within County Durham. Plus a chance for a nice pint or two if you can get your mate to drive.

You'd be a fool to miss it!

Hope to see you there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back