• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (18 Viewers)

Castle Lake is the body of water bottom left of this link - Castle Lake map

I find it easiest to park where Foumarts Lane meets Church Street - though you can park at Castle Farm and walk through the farmyard which gives a good view overlooking the area from a hill. There are several sign boards around the area showing paths.

Following Foumarts Lane takes you down to the River Skerne - little more than a beck, but good for many species including Kingfisher and Little Egret and geese - if they're not on the lake itself.

Seawatching was relatively quiet at Whitburn this morning. A Great Northern Diver was about the highlight, along with 3 parties of Pink-footed Geese, 11 Pale-bellied Brents, 6 each of Manx and Sooty Shearwaters and a handful of skuas including 1 Pomarine. Plenty of Razorbills are still moving (over 2000 yesterday) along with an unseasonal 33 Puffins. Also over 50 Little Gulls moving north.
Adult Med Gull also still on The Leas, scavenging with other gulls.

Attachments

• Med.jpg
    Med.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 74
Castle Lake

Hi I was at Castle Lake this morning/dinner time. The Pectoral Sandpiper was at the gate end of the lake (Did not climb over the gate), feeding with 3 x Ruff. It was still there when I left at 12.45. I could only see one of the Little Egrets. Thanks to all who post information and a big thanks to those able to put up photo's.

Steve

Last edited:
Following a huge "Puff" of feathers appearing at the patio doors looked out to see an evil looking fem sparrahawk make mincemeat out of a collared dove for 15 minutes!

A couple of hours near Seals Sands this morning I got to see my first Wimbrel:t:. On the Brine Pools??? (not sure of the names of these places) quite a few Teal and Redshank with the odd Curlew.
A large cloud of Geese flew over heading south possibley Pink Footed about 100+.
On the road side pond with the Bus Stop Hide?, at one point there were 5 Little Egret, 1 Curlew and a Little Grebe and along the road there's a small pond with the Tern raft islands had a single Greenshank and a few Meadow Pipits where you turn in.

Attachments

• Geese.jpg
    Geese.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Little-Egret-4.jpg
    Little-Egret-4.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 89
Castle Lake

Pectoral Sandpiper still there this afternoon , along with this fella, helping me and Harrier Olley plant phragmite, looks like a gypsy to me .;)

Attachments

• gypo 016.jpg
    gypo 016.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 120
  • gypo 014.jpg
    gypo 014.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 135
Popped down to Castle Lake his morning to catch up with the Pectoral Sandpiper.
I was just about to leave at about 9.30 when all the birds scattered as what I'm 95% sure was a Hobby flew thru' south to north. Only saw it for about five seconds.
Anybody else about at this time who can confirm?

Lake

Pectoral Sandpiper still there this afternoon , along with this fella, helping me and Harrier Olley plant phragmite, looks like a gypsy to me .;)

scruffy looking barra pusher ! where did u dredge him up from ? bottom of the lake ?

Birds 2day inc
handfull of Sand Martins & Yellow Wags remaining
several flocks of Linnets & Goldfinches around site
influx of 40 Teal & gull flocks building
3 each of Greenshank & Ruff, Gadwall & Shoveller.
The Egret pr are daily now, giving the seal of approval to one of the new islands as one preened there out of the breeze ( digiscoped shot attd showing egret & new gravel nesting island )

NB.
Yet another reminder to ask visitors to please KEEP TO THE RIGHTS OF WAY & well away from the waters edge.
Cheers
SE

NeilF said:
....................as what I'm 95% sure was a Hobby flew thru' south to north. Only saw it for about five seconds.
sounds likey, they tend to "flash through" quickly - the Peregrines generally cruise around a few times.

Attachments

• SEPT07Egret.jpg
    SEPT07Egret.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 107
  • SEPT07island.jpg
    SEPT07island.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Holme Fleet - this morning held Greenshank x2, Green Sandpiper x1, Little Egret x1, Grey Heron x1, Stonechat x2.

Seaton Common - Curlew x4, Stonechat x2, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk.

Seaton Snook - Turnstone x4, Cormorant 40+, Redshank c.15, Dunlin c.12, Guillemot x1, Merlin x1, Kestrel x1, Sparrowhawk x1, Linnet 40+, Meadow Pipit, Lapwing 40+.

Attachments

• IMG_8527ao.jpg
    IMG_8527ao.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8533ao.jpg
    IMG_8533ao.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8682ao.jpg
    IMG_8682ao.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8739ao.jpg
    IMG_8739ao.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8444ao.jpg
    IMG_8444ao.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 65
Had a look south this morning for a change. First stop Salthome ,loads of Teal and Dunlin with a Curlew Sandpiper right next to the causeway being the highlight.
Next popped in Greatham Creek where i spied 3 Little Egrets a few Bar Tailed Godwit and a J Bee in the hide .
Was going to go home ,but at the last minute decided to have a look along to North Gare , and pleased i did as suddenly a dozen Teal lifted near the entrance, revealing the presence of a female Marsh Harrier.

Attachments

• zzzzz 013.jpg
    zzzzz 013.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 72
  • zzz 001.jpg
    zzz 001.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 65
  • zzzzz 019.jpg
    zzzzz 019.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 71
  • zzzz 002.jpg
    zzzz 002.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 112
  • zzzzz 017.jpg
    zzzzz 017.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Ventured down to the coast today. Generally fairly quiet.
1 red-throated diver north at Lizard Point.
Good numbers of commoner waders at Whitburn Steel, plus six bar-tailed godwits and one juv curlew sandpiper.

Malcolm

Called into Shibdon Pond this afternoon, first visit for a while and was quite surprised by the low water levels, although I guess this is normal for this time of year.
Enjoying the wader friendly habitat were 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 5 Redshank and 3 Snipe.

A quick walk round Washington WWT today feeding station all the usual tits and finches, acouple of young Pheasants and GS 'pecker.
Wader lake very quiet with Mallards, a couple of Teal, Moorhens, 3 Herons in the trees and 9 Snipe feeding out in the open water instead of the verges made a nice change.

Don't know what plans any of you had for Thursday evening but do yourself a favour and cancel them. Instead you can enjoy an evening in the company of fellow birders at The Tap and Spile PH in Framwellgate Moor where Denis Harrigan will be speaking to DBC about that enigmatic and now seriously threatened species - The Capercaillie.

Apart from what promises to be an entertaining account of "the giant cousin of our own favourite Blackcock" you will also have the chance to chat with like minded mates in a convivial atmosphere over a pint or two of what I am told (not being a real ale buff myself) are excellent beers. Come along and find out first hand what is happening in County Durham birding circles.

Full details on this event and the forthcoming programme can be found in The Lek or the DBC website.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back