• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (5 Viewers)

The weather forecast for the end of the week is looking good ,winds are going to be easterly,might get our first YB Warblers turning up at long last.

Buff breasted Sand was on the field next to the power station at 6pm but returned to golf course at about 7.15 where it remained until dusk showing very well.

Hi JBee,

The yellow on the face suggests to me that it is a young bird. The extensive grey on the flanks and relatively dark mantle point to Pied rather than White.

Cheers,

Wagtail question (numpty rating = 6)
How do you know whether you have a photo of a white wagtail or a juvenile pied wagtail? - and which is this?

Migrant Watch

The first installment of this year's Migrant Watch will take place this weekend - with Saturday perhaps looking like the best day (depending on availibility of people). It would have taken place anywhere but it just so happens weather is looking half decent as an added bonus!

Everyone who has come forward so far I will contact you by phone/email.

Elemore Hall

Nice morning so set off nice and early. A freshly set field just before the wood had 600 Common Gull, 350 Lapwing and 300 Linnet. Entering the wood a Chiff Chaff calling but apart from that, the only other birds singing were Robins. Jays seem to have had a decent year with 12 seen, including a family party of five. One seen being chased by a female Sparrowhawk, everytime the Hawk closed in the Jay spun round on its back , grappling with the Hawk and letting off an almighty racket, this happened two or three times until the Jay made it to a tree.
Grey Partridge on the other hand seemed well down compared to this time last year, probably due to the wet summer.
6 Siskin also back, other birds seen include 3 Buzzards,6 Kestrels and 2-3 Great Peckers.
Below is a picture of Elemore Hall itself, taken from near Littletown village.

Attachments

• zzz 007.jpg
    zzz 007.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 67
  • elemore hall 001.jpg
    elemore hall 001.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Went for the BB Sandpiper this morning at North Gare - no sign of it despite there being a pager report whilst I was there. Quite a few people looking but I didn't meet anyone who'd seen it.

Around half a dozen Northern Wheatear were along the access road or in the scrub behind the dunes. Alongside North Gare pier were a pair of Kestrels which were hunting for small crabs as the tide went out - first time I've seen them doing this. They were taking them to the sand dunes to eat them. Curlew were doing the same thing - though wandering amongst the stones rather than hovering and diving. A Rook kept harrassing the Kestrels but to no avail.

A few Stonechat, Meadow Pipit and Skylark were present and a flock of 20+ Goldfinch. Cormorant and a couple of Gannet were feeding off the end of the pier along with a couple of Guillemot and RB Merganser x4. A few Redshank and Dunlin were on the seashore.

Attachments

• IMG_8938ao.jpg
    IMG_8938ao.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9018ao.jpg
    IMG_9018ao.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_9072ao.jpg
    IMG_9072ao.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_9241ao.jpg
    IMG_9241ao.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9163ao.jpg
    IMG_9163ao.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 69
Hartlepool Headland

An hour or so at Hartlepool Headland. A few Eiders, Guillimots and Razorbills on the rough sea thought I saw a couple of Puffins but not certain and one juv Gannet.

Inside the Heugh high tide, the small bit of beach next to the paddling pool had a Guillimot enjoying the sun (also three dead ones in the corner).
Waders were Turnstone, Purple Sand', Redshank and one Sanderling.
On the water enjoying the calm provided by the Heugh were Eiders, various Gulls, more Razorbills and Guillimots, Cormorants and a couple of Common Terns.

Attachments

• Guillimot-1.jpg
    Guillimot-1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Guillimot-2.jpg
    Guillimot-2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Guillimot-3.jpg
    Guillimot-3.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Purple-Sand.jpg
    Purple-Sand.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 80
  • Razorbill.jpg
    Razorbill.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 85
Upper Weardale and Teesdale 08.00 to 12.00hrs

Very quiet for most species but 1000s of redwing passing through all areas mostly heading west. Family groups of Buzzards over upper Weardale and Teesdale.

A stunning days seawatching at Whitburn today. Day totals included:
1 Great Northern Diver
3 Black-throated Divers
1 Slavonian Grebe
205 Sooty Shearwaters
3 Great Shearwaters
3 Leach's Petrels
2 Storm Petrels
133 Barnacle Geese
219 Brent Geese
5 Pomarine Skuas
6 Long-tailed Skuas
1 Sabine's Gull
3 Grey Phalaropes
30 Velvet Scoters
A total of over 3300 wildfowl of 15 species passed during the day, many just off the cliffs. Truly fantastic.

unexpected visit home from working away today was a welcome break..
visited washington wwt. work being done to the wader lake so nowt really here except a few snipe around the edges...
approaching the woodland hide heard a chiffchaff calling!..and a jay flew over the river.
also a nice group of l.t.tits 10+..tree hopping,the hide had the normal birds but not so many bullfinch as previous..
3 hedgehogs seen feeding out in the open..
dropped into the lizard point on the way home...(went back home for the scope and flask)...popular here today 2 other lads watching..
excellent hour and a half! 4-5.30pm..
15 wigeon, 22 c.scoter, 1 v.scoter, 10 brents, 1 pom. skua, 10+ sooties, 2 bonxies, 1 artic skua....masses of gannet and manx`s movement..
short but sweet visit home..

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5528.JPG
    tn_IMG_5528.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 109
  • tn_IMG_5524.JPG
    tn_IMG_5524.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 106
  • tn_IMG_5455.JPG
    tn_IMG_5455.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 71
  • tn_IMG_5429.JPG
    tn_IMG_5429.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Cleadon Hills

Three swallows still flying up there very low and skimming the top of the grass trying to find insects - I think they have missed the last bus south;)

Grey partidges still very vocal

Still stacks of birds passing Whitburn Obs this morning. I had to leave for work at 09.30 (a novelty for me...) but there'd been a juv Sabine's Gull, all 4 skuas, 3 species of diver, a good range of ducks and geese, plenty of very close Sootys etc. Also a Slavonian Grebe close in on the sea (maybe yesterday's bird lingering). The best were 7 Blue Fulmars which included 2-3 very dark morphs - superb looking birds and a sign of where the winds are coming from.

Very close views of a Leach's Petrel off Lizard Point this am and also 1 Storm Petrel, 1 juv Sabine's Gull, and this pm at Lizard Point another juv Sabines Gull and 3 Little Auks,certainly been excellent for seabirds this September ,Hopefully it will be the turn of the passerines over the weekend.

Three swallows still flying up there very low and skimming the top of the grass trying to find insects - I think they have missed the last bus south;)

Still a couple of Sand Martins at Bishop Middleham today, including 1 hawking with Swallows as they tuck advantage of a late cut of grass being baled.
Several groups of Redwings around with Mipits & Skylarks prominant & moving through.
Others inc singles of Yellow Wagtail & Snipe, Ruff & Dunlin, 4 Ringed Plover & mixed flocks of Linnet & Goldfinch totalling 800+
Close by Willow Tit, Goldcrest & GSW added.
Small increase in dabbling duck nos but no sign of the egrets
SE/JO

Lol! I thought I was doing well this afternoon on a visit to The Headland. I counted seven Shearwater passing north - only on the photos they turned out to be Gannet!!! Mind you it was pretty dull with strong north-easterlies blowing spray in your face. I guess sea watching isn't for me ;)

A Red-throated Diver was pretty close inshore on the water - top right of photo - but too distant for decent photos.

Five Common Scoter were near the pier and several Guillemot and what looked to be a single Little Auk. 20+ Great Crested Grebe were by the lifeboat station.

Hopefully the easterlies will bring in some birds overnight for the migrant watch tomorrow.

A quick stop of at Zinc Works Road produced a colour ringed Curlew. A popular bird - five rings it has - possibly more as I couldn't see the right leg below the 'knee'. The report has been sent to the BTO - I wonder if they'll reply this time.

Attachments

• IMG_9413ao.JPG
    IMG_9413ao.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_9437ao.JPG
    IMG_9437ao.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_9601ao.jpg
    IMG_9601ao.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 93
Hi,
I must have been at Castle Lake at the same time. Sorry if I disturbed any birds, but I did respect the gate you will have noticed. Have been trying to find good place to get a view without disturbing the birds so will try your spot next time I'm up.
Steve Clarke

Colour ringed Curlew

Ian,
The Curlew in your photo had been identified as a bird first ringed on Teesside in September 1981. At 26 years old the bird is just 3 years short of the BTO longevity record for the species.

Julie

Ian,
The Curlew in your photo had been identified as a bird first ringed on Teesside in September 1981. At 26 years old the bird is just 3 years short of the BTO longevity record for the species.

Julie

By gum that was quick! Very efficient Julie. Thanks for that.

I'm still awaiting to hear about another two colour ringed Curlew I reported on 4th December 2006 at Saltholme Ponds - hence my comment. They both in the attached photo. If you could help with them too I'd appreciate it - or is there somewhere else to look them up. I've a couple of other reports from 2006 for which I've never received a reply - for a Sanderling and five Grey Plover reports.

Attachments

• IMG_7460ao.JPG
    IMG_7460ao.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 75
Just got back in from doing the Migrant Watch at Zinc Works Road/Seaton Snook. Not a great number of birds around. Most notable were -

In migrant bushes Spotted Flycatcher x1, Goldcrest 11+, Garden Warbler x1, Lesser Whitethroat x1, Redwing x7.
Large flock of Goldfinch and another of Linnet behind the dunes. The power station field held Brent Goose c.40 with another eight on Greatham Creek, also Golden Plover x61. Bar-tailed Godwit x1 still on Seaton Snook. RB Merganser x27.

Attachments

• IMG_0004ao.JPG
    IMG_0004ao.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0055ao.JPG
    IMG_0055ao.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_9657ao.JPG
    IMG_9657ao.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_9811ao.JPG
    IMG_9811ao.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_9862co.JPG
    IMG_9862co.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 67
Very close views of a Leach's Petrel off Lizard Point this am and also 1 Storm Petrel, 1 juv Sabine's Gull, and this pm at Lizard Point another juv Sabines Gull and 3 Little Auks,certainly been excellent for seabirds this September ,Hopefully it will be the turn of the passerines over the weekend.

Some nice birds there. Any chance the Lizard Point boys could send their records in so counts can be matched in with the passage logged at Whitburn Obs?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back