• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (21 Viewers)

pics

couple of wader pics

Attachments

• CurlSand & 2 Dunlin.jpg
    CurlSand & 2 Dunlin.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 122
  • rough peck.....jpg
    rough peck.....jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 111
  • wader bay.jpg
    wader bay.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I wouldn't mind"Great white shark" but I was on my way to the dell and cleadon hills the day before and as I was leaving the house a neighbour asked me if I saw any Squirrels on my travels birding,I said never.So what happens the next day I see one in the Street!

Well your not going to believe this but on my way back from Alwinton this afternoon I came across a dead red squirrel on the road just a few miles this side of Rothbury.

He is now in my freezer waiting to get mounted. Maybe we should start a squirrel forum of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nature's Calendar Monday 1st October.

A new series of Nature's Calendar starts this Monday - ten episodes Mon--Fri 6.30pm BBC2. One episode features Seals Sands/Greatham Creek hide and I believe a couple of local birders from TBC. Dates of episodes arent given but it looks as if a week on Monday Seal Sands is featured.

The series starts tomorrow (Monday 24th) for two weeks. I'm told the Seal Sands stuff is week on Tuesday, some birds, some seals. Inside info - my missus wrote the website. Now I have to plug it or she'll moan... bbc.co.uk/naturescalendar.

Off to Rainton Meadows/Castle Lake now to see what's around

Juv. B B Sandpiper

Came across this little beauty wandering around on Seaton Golf Course this pm.

Attachments

• bbsan01.jpg
    bbsan01.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 121
  • bbs02.jpg
    bbs02.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 81
  • bbs03.jpg
    bbs03.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 85
latest

According to Birdnet, the BBS is still showing from Seaton Golf course (North Gare car park) at 07:15 this morning. Can`t see it going far in this weather!

According to Birdnet, the BBS is still showing from Seaton Golf course (North Gare car park) at 07:15 this morning. Can`t see it going far in this weather!

According to Pablo, the bird was still showing at point blank range at lunchtime. No bins required!

Fantastic photos Colonel. I'm sure a few more pics may appear after today.

Feeding station coming along at Elemore, the titmice certainly like Black Sunflower with 6 Willow ,Great and Coal Tit there today. About 40 Greenfinch nearby, but there seems to be plenty wild food about for now,as they havent visited yet,despite their love for Sunflower.
Biggest surprise was a Ring Ouzel nearby, in amongst the hordes of Blackbirds.

Attachments

• feed s 014.jpg
    feed s 014.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 66
  • feed s 008.jpg
    feed s 008.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 71
  • feed s 012.jpg
    feed s 012.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 67
could someone tel me how to get to CASTLE LAKE from hardwhick hall please. tel boy.

Here's a map of the area:
www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=54.6703&lon=-1.4914&scale=50000&icon=x
Hardwick Hall is just off the A177. The red circle marked south of Bishop Middleham is Castle Lake. The best way is up the A177 and left towards Bish Midd. More detailed directions about accessing the lake from the village were given in posts on here over the last week or two.
Mark

Hi tel

from Hardwick CP follow footpaths marked (Marks map) north west these will take you to the old railway line head for footpath west of island farm footpath follows an old wall overlooking the lake on your western side passing Alans pool the lake is at grid ref NZ 328309 this is the best view point with a scope the field here drops where you can sit close to the wall without disturbing the birds. On the lake today 3 Little Egret 2 green sand, single grenshank, 3 ruff unidentified sandpiper? wigeon, shoveler, gadwall, teal, and immature female peregrine. Any interesting stuff please post.

John Olley Conservation Officer DBC

Wagtail question (numpty rating = 6)
How do you know whether you have a photo of a white wagtail or a juvenile pied wagtail? - and which is this?

Attachments

• _DSC9304.jpg
    _DSC9304.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 92
The Lake

............. head for footpath west of island farm footpath follows an old wall overlooking the lake on your western side passing Alans pool the lake is at grid ref NZ 328309 this is the best view point with a scope the field here drops where you can sit close to the wall without disturbing the birds. On the lake today 3 Little Egret 2 green sand, single grenshank, 3 ruff unidentified sandpiper? wigeon, shoveler, gadwall, teal, and immature female peregrine. Any interesting stuff please post.

John Olley Conservation Officer DBC

John
later on :-
5 Ruff & 1 Reeve
2 Greenshank
2 juv Ringed Plover
1 Barnacle Goose
9 Shoveller
21 Wigeon
a single Twite perched on barbed wire from the very discrete & easily missed KEEP OUT sign......... ;)
a few summer visitors still hanging on in cold wind with 4-5 Sand Martins, hard to say but at least 4 Yellow Wagtails & a juvvy Whinchat close to swg wks
juv fem Per on show & learning to hunt for 30mins.
8 or so Snipe straight in & using the new spring ditch.

no sign of the mystery sandpiper.....but 3 Little egrets in a line were nice...

cheers
SE

Attachments

• 3egretsSEPT2007 010.jpg
    3egretsSEPT2007 010.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
BB Sandpiper

A couple more pics from this afternoon. If you havn't been to see it, go because you're unlikely to ever get a better view of this gorgeous species.

Malcolm.

Attachments

• BuffBS 07BF.JPG
    BuffBS 07BF.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 80
  • BuffBS 05BF.JPG
    BuffBS 05BF.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 86
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back