• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (39 Viewers)

Having spotted a weasel in the back garden this morning, I decided to spend a couple of hours there this afternoon. Unfortunately no weasel but plenty sparrows, starlings, wood pigeon, collard doves, great & blue tit, jackdaw, robin and single goldfinch.
All the birds scattered, and I turned to see a sparrow hawk land on the shed roof, and as my luck goes I couldn't get a decent shot as It's head was in line with the washing line pole :C.
It sat for a couple of seconds then dropped to the ground, believe it or not, it sat behind a plant pot for a few seconds where I couldn't see it at all, then flew of with what looked like a field mouse.
Coldn't believe my bad luck at having a SpHawk 25ft away and unable to capture a decent shot of It.

Attachments

• _MG_2779.jpg
    _MG_2779.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_2873.jpg
    _MG_2873.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_2876.jpg
    _MG_2876.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_2900.jpg
    _MG_2900.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_2952.jpg
    _MG_2952.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 65
Durham Bird Club Autumn Field Trips

Durham Bird Club Autumn Field Trips

Sunday 14 September 2008 - Potteric Carr, South Yorkshire
Cost £15 (+ £2.50 entry)
Our first ever visit to this site which has been recommended by one of our members as a good day out with plenty to see. The area has a good range of habitats, and species that may possibly be seen include Bittern, Hobby and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, plus a wide range of waterfowl and waders.​

_______________________________________​
Sunday 5 October 2008 - Holy Island & the Northumberland Coast
Cost £15
Back to an autumn favourite with a visit up the Northumberland coast including Holy Island. If the weather conditions are favourable this trip offers the chance to witness spectacular migration with large numbers of thrushes and other passerine migrants including rarities like Yellow-browed Warbler. If conditions are not so good for passerine migrants then there are still likely to be plenty of waders and wildfowl plus some seabirds to be seen on a day out that rarely disappoints.
Book early to avoid disappointment
Book Now or visit the Field Trip Page
DurhamBirdClub.org

From TBC web site:
Mike Leakey -Telescope & tripod found at Greatham Creek road bridge mid-afternoon on 11 August, subsequently handed in to Hartlepool Police; if the owner is succesfully reunited with his/her property please let me know on 07803 228394 as the finders would appreciate it.

Seaton Snook late morning was very quiet.

Common Tern c.40, Cormorant x30, Dunlin x2, Oystercatcher c.15, Redshank x5. Wheatear x11 in power station field and along fence. Also along fence above migrant bushes - Common Whitethroat x1, Goldfinch x6, Kestrel x1, Pied Wagtail x1, Kestrel x1, Meadow Pipit x7.

Stonechat pair along Zinc Works Road - no sign of any young though. Also Whimbrel x1.

Photos: 1. Common Tern - 2. Dunlin - 3. & 4. Wheatear - 5. Whitethroat

Attachments

• IMG_5705gpo.JPG
    IMG_5705gpo.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5722ao.JPG
    IMG_5722ao.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5746ao.JPG
    IMG_5746ao.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5793ao.JPG
    IMG_5793ao.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5822ao.JPG
    IMG_5822ao.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 80
A real Kingfisher fest this morning at Low Barns with five seen.

On approaching the reserve entrance Swallow 50+ were strung along the length of two loops in the telephone wires beside the road.

The barrier was still down at 8:30am so I made use of the lay-by. I wasn't too hopeful of what I'd find as it was still pretty dismal first thing. It was fine but the trees were still dripping from overnight rain.

Just Coot and Moorhen on the pond by the footbridge but the trees prior to West Pastures Hide (several new finger boards around the reserve) held several young Treecreeper, Wren and flocks of Long-tailed Tit and Willow Warbler.

On entering the hide the pond was pretty quiet with just Mallard, Coot, Moorhen and a pair of Mute Swan. However I'd just sat down when a juvenile Kingfisher flew from the far corner by the bullrush to the small bush on the island in front of the hide. It just sat there a while before several times flying up to hover 20' over the water for 20-30 seconds at a time before returning to the bush. A few minutes later and another two appeared chasing each other around the pond. It wasn't long before all three were circling the pond landing every few minutes on the reedmace or bushes by the old hide site.

A Green Woodpecker flew into the trees by the bullrush but didn't hang around for long. An amazing spectacle followed as Greylag Goose 350-400 appeared in waves from the west circling the pond. Some landed on Marston Lake but most headed back west.

Moving on a single Hooded Crow hybrid was sat on West Pasture just prior to the reed bed. Two more Kingfisher were sat on the wooden hand rail of the boardwalk. Willow Warbler and Whitethroat were in the bushes at the end of the boardwalk. Several Pied Wagtail were on the grass by the path.

By the larch trees another flock of 12-15 Willow Warbler a few Chaffinch and 3-4 Bullfinch. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was in the top of a tree.

I walked up as far as the weir/ford but the river was well in flood - probably why so many Kingfisher were on the ponds. No birds at all on the river.

Another Great Spotted Woodpecker seen en-route to the South Hide. From the hide - Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Mallard, Cormorant, Tufted Duck.

Pretty quiet the rest of the way around the Lake apart from a Little Grebe from the hide screen at the west end and a Green Woodpecker calling from very close but impossible to spot. On reaching the visitor centre a family of Song Thrush were rooting around the edges of the path.

By then the sun was breaking through so I headed back to West Pastures Hide. As I entered a Kingfisher was sat right in front of the hide. An adult female this time. Another birder was present and we sat chatting for over an hour during which time it never shifted from the perch. Only twice it dived into the water but didn't catch anything. Possibly just soaking up the sun. Another one was on the wooden pole over the weir to the left and another was in the corner by the bullrushes.

Not a great number of species seen but what I saw put on a good show.

Butterflies - Small White, Comma, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell.
Dragonflies - Common Darter, Black-tailed Skimmer, Common Blue Damselfly, Blue Tailed Damselfly, Small Red Damselfly.

BTW the winter feeding station is to be rebuilt properly with a new fence/screen. Apparently the barn is coming down for the car park to be extended.

Anyone planning on a visit the next few weeks will have to approach from the Bishop Auckland/Howden-le-Wear side as the road between Low Barns and Witton-le-Wear is closed for roadworks from 4th August for 12 weeks!

Photos: 1.&2. Kingfisher - 3. Little Grebe - 4. Hooded Crow - 5. Great Crested Grebe

Attachments

• IMG_6116ao.JPG
    IMG_6116ao.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6251ao.JPG
    IMG_6251ao.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6003ao.JPG
    IMG_6003ao.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6036ao.JPG
    IMG_6036ao.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6353aao.JPG
    IMG_6353aao.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 72
A few at Hetton Bogs from yesterday:
Birds seen were: Blue, great, willow & coal tit, pheasant, coot with young, mallard, moorehen, magpie, willow warbler, GS woodpecker, dunnock, wren and a SpHawk flyover.

Anyone intending going to the bogs in the near future, you'll need wellies.

Attachments

• _MG_3003.jpg
    _MG_3003.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_3012.jpg
    _MG_3012.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_3023.jpg
    _MG_3023.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 69
  • _MG_3035.jpg
    _MG_3035.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_3107.jpg
    _MG_3107.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 72
Returned to Hetton Bogs today.
Pretty much the same, bird wise with the exception of the Kingfisher when it popped in for a meal and flew of with It's catch. I noticed that It was ringed!.
Also around 3.30, the SpHawk came crashing into the bushes behind the feeders, I think It was trying to capture one of the young moorehens. After a bit of thrashing around in the bushes it flew of emty handed.

Attachments

• _MG_3229.jpg
    _MG_3229.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 62
  • _MG_3254.jpg
    _MG_3254.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 58
  • _MG_3264.jpg
    _MG_3264.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 66
  • _MG_3276.jpg
    _MG_3276.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 79
  • _MG_3285.jpg
    _MG_3285.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 95
Newburn Bridge, Hartlepool at high tide this evening - Med Gull x1, Ringed Plover c.20, Oystercatcher c.20, Sanderling c.20, Turnstone c.12.

Attachments

• IMG_7002ao.JPG
    IMG_7002ao.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7018ao.JPG
    IMG_7018ao.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7048bo.JPG
    IMG_7048bo.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 76
Dragonfly query

Apologies for going off topic, but I saw this in our garden today, and took a photo of it. Can you identify it, please?

June

Newburn Bridge, Hartlepool at high tide this evening - Med Gull x1, Ringed Plover c.20, Oystercatcher c.20, Sanderling c.20, Turnstone c.12.

Attachments

• dragonfly-query.jpg
    dragonfly-query.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 117
Apologies for going off topic, but I saw this in our garden today, and took a photo of it. Can you identify it, please?

June

It's a Southern Hawker. A good one to get in the garden. I've only seen a few around so far this year. Mirgant Hawker are starting to appear as well - saw my first yesterday.

Seaton Snook this afternoon was packed full of birds - a good couple of thousand! Several hundred Tern on the end of the Snook along with 200+ each of Ringed Plover and Oystercatcher. Around 100 Dunlin with smaller numbers of Knot x7, Grey Plover c.15, Sanderling 30+, Turnstone c.20, Cormorant c.40, Guillemot x2. A Goosander was an usual sight to see in Seaton Channel - at first I thought it must be an early RB Merganser but it wasn't. Also Shelduck x37.

Zinc Works Road - Stonechat x2, Willow Warbler x1, Whitethroat x1, Linnet x7, Goldfinch x6, Meadow Pipit 40+, Swallow c.30, Pied Wagtail x3.

Photos: 1. Sanderling - 2. Linnet - 3. Dunlin - 4. Knot - 5. Grey Plover

Attachments

• IMG_7112ao.JPG
    IMG_7112ao.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7232ao.JPG
    IMG_7232ao.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7522ao.JPG
    IMG_7522ao.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7543ao.JPG
    IMG_7543ao.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7590ao.JPG
    IMG_7590ao.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 93
Southern Hawker

It's a Southern Hawker. A good one to get in the garden. I've only seen a few around so far this year. Mirgant Hawker are starting to appear as well - saw my first yesterday.

Thank you, Ian. The official Recorder also replied and I was able to give him an OS Grid Reference. It was duly recorded.
Such a handsome creature, the first time we have had one, I think.:t:

Greatham Creek this evening - in between the heavy showers!

Kestrel x1, Merlin x1, Common Sandpiper x4, Spotted Redshank x1, Redshank x3, Whimbrel x2, Dunlin x7, Swallow x5, Cormorant x7, Shelduck 20+, Snipe x3, Heron x2, Lapwing 50+, Common Tern 30+. Most notable for numers were Little Egret x10 - with one on Saline Lagoon and nine roosting in the trees opposite the car park but facing onto the Brinefields.

Dormans Pool - Little Egret x2, Marsh Harrier over north end - headed off towards Long Drag.

Photos: 1. Heron - 2. Swallow - 3. Whimbrel - 4. Cormorant - 5. Common Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_7923ao.JPG
    IMG_7923ao.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7775ao.JPG
    IMG_7775ao.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7855ao.JPG
    IMG_7855ao.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7889ao.JPG
    IMG_7889ao.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7882ao.JPG
    IMG_7882ao.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 68
Water Vole again at Silksworth Lakes tonight. Sparrowhawk flying over, about 20 House Martins and a good number of Gulls. Hopefully it wont be long till a goody is found amongst them.

Garden birds starting to reappear in bigger numbers now after quite a long absence, along with this little fella, he was having quite a rummage around inside this feeder and nearly scared a Blue Tit half to death when he popped his head it out. I was wondering if this is a Woodmouse first one i have ever seen in my garden.

p.s feeder has now been filled.

Attachments

• wood mouse 3.jpg
    wood mouse 3.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 82
  • wood mouse 4.jpg
    wood mouse 4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 77
Garden birds starting to reappear in bigger numbers now after quite a long absence, along with this little fella, he was having quite a rummage around inside this feeder and nearly scared a Blue Tit half to death when he popped his head it out. I was wondering if this is a Woodmouse first one i have ever seen in my garden.

p.s feeder has now been filled.

Certainly looks like a woodmouse to me. We used to have one or two around our feeders as well until the Sparrowhawks got them. They seem to prefer a bit of mouse over birds!

Hetton Bogs today.
The same regular bird life with the kingfisher flying through the station 3 or 4 times, but not landing, also a few visits by the wren.

Attachments

• _MG_3309.jpg
    _MG_3309.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 65
  • _MG_3311.jpg
    _MG_3311.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_3318.jpg
    _MG_3318.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 57
  • _MG_3330.jpg
    _MG_3330.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 63
  • _MG_3348.jpg
    _MG_3348.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 59
Dove of peace

Hi All,
my son took these pictures with his mobile phone in his back garden at South Hetton. Is this a leucistic Collared Dove or a white pigeon?

Cheers, Mick.

ps.Maybe this white dove should fly around Castle Lake.

Attachments

• DSC00088.JPG
    DSC00088.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC00095.JPG
    DSC00095.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back