• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Great to catch up with a lot of the locals at the Whitburn Ringing Hut and have a good old chin wag....

Also must say a big thanks to the ringers (Adrian, John & Graham) who allowed my Granddaughter (Lillie) to release a couple of the birds once ringed and recorded - it made a little 6 year old very happy, she's talked about it most of the afternoon :t:

Another mega crop of one of the Richard's Pipits from Whitburn - birds were staying very distant and the heat haze from the cut grass field was awful..

Attachments

• 2013-09-28-70243-DSC_7736.jpg
    2013-09-28-70243-DSC_7736.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 289
A couple of visits to the Durham moors over the last few days where I've seen Golden Plover, Red Grouse in abundance and a female Wheatear (v. heavy crop):

10106283134_04fcc6ec62_b.jpg 10176947503_8c87a4d58d_b.jpg 10196274414_1129f12edf_b.jpg

Quite a lot of migrants around this week. Best of the bunch local to me is the Western Bonelli's Warbler in the Borough Hall Gardens area at Hartlepool Headland - a first for County Durham.

Other birds there include Brambling x3, Chiffchaff, 3-4, Willow Warbler, Great Spotted Woodepcker juv. x2, Redwing 12+, Woodcock, Goldecrest, Blackcap 5-6, Meally Redpoll x3, Brambling x3. Lots of Blackbirds, Robins, Wrens.

A male Crossbill flew in on Tuesday - very loud calls - possibly a Parrot Crossbill but didn't stay still long enough to get a good look at it.

Attachments

• IMG_3350aa.jpg
    IMG_3350aa.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2959a.jpg
    IMG_2959a.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3226a.jpg
    IMG_3226a.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2414b.jpg
    IMG_2414b.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3490a.jpg
    IMG_3490a.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 70
Quite a lot of migrants around this week. Best of the bunch local to me is the Western Bonelli's Warbler in the Borough Hall Gardens area at Hartlepool Headland - a first for County Durham.

Other birds there include Brambling x3, Chiffchaff, 3-4, Willow Warbler, Great Spotted Woodepcker juv. x2, Redwing 12+, Woodcock, Goldecrest, Blackcap 5-6, Meally Redpoll x3, Brambling x3. Lots of Blackbirds, Robins, Wrens.

A male Crossbill flew in on Tuesday - very loud calls - possibly a Parrot Crossbill but didn't stay still long enough to get a good look at it.

Cracking bird Ian. Amazed you got this shot of it as it was never still. My patch is Druridge Bay but as I work in Sunderland I ventured out to the Headland to see it. The trees were so full of moving birds when I was there so it was hard to pin down. Could be years until another one lands in the North East.

Attachments

• IMG_4385a.jpg
    IMG_4385a.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3993a.jpg
    IMG_3993a.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4304aa.jpg
    IMG_4304aa.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_9358a.jpg
    IMG_9358a.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_9378a.jpg
    IMG_9378a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 82
Canny morning at Hartlepool Headland and nice to catch up with a few friendly faces - Ian Forrest, Dave & Mark Fullerton, Dave Johnson, Hilary Chambers, plus a good few others ..

Nice to catch up with the Bonelli's Warbler and also get a canny sighting of the Pallid Swift..

Couple of shots of the warbler which was very mobile and then seemed to disappear when the winds got up..

Attachments

• 2013-10-20-71644-DSC_8962.jpg
    2013-10-20-71644-DSC_8962.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 143
  • 2013-10-20-71658-DSC_8976.jpg
    2013-10-20-71658-DSC_8976.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 102
The Hoopoe at Bishop Auckland was showing very well this morning. A long overdue British tick for me and particularly welcome as there is currently one close to where I used to live in Nottingham. A couple of digiscoped shots attached.

Attachments

• 3556 Eurasian Hoopoe 6 (1024x766).jpg
    3556 Eurasian Hoopoe 6 (1024x766).jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 3556 Eurasian Hoopoe 3 (1024x799).jpg
    3556 Eurasian Hoopoe 3 (1024x799).jpg
    577.3 KB · Views: 128
Hoopoe - Tindale Crescent, West Auckland

A first for me in this country, although 3 weeks ago I was watching them at close quarters in Gran Canaria. Great to see.

Attachments

• Hoopoe2.jpg
    Hoopoe2.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Hoopoe3.jpg
    Hoopoe3.jpg
    746.9 KB · Views: 122
Can anyone tell where exactly the Hoopoe is? Every report seems to mention something different are the Premier Inn, The March Hare pub and the football ground all near each other?

Can anyone tell where exactly the Hoopoe is? Every report seems to mention something different are the Premier Inn, The March Hare pub and the football ground all near each other?

It's been on the waste ground behind the Premier Inn on the A689 at Tindale Crescent. It disappeared at around 12.45 though I think it was relocated around 3.00pm tho. I'm not sure where exactly.

If you cross the fence at the Premier Inn and walk to the far end of the waste ground the bird flew in this morning from over the hedge at the end. It then initially fed in the far left corner of the waste ground (looking from the Premier Inn) this was also apparently the area it favoured yesterday. So a good option would be to position yourself on one of the mounds which offer good visibility and wait for it to hopefully reveal itself.

Found Snow Bunting on path to rear of second hide at Greatham Creek Tuesday at around 14:00, have photograph which I am trying to sort out for publication.

Mark.

What's the deal with Brasside ponds? I found somewhere saying you needed permission to visit. Is this true? If so, who do you need to ask for permission? Do you drive through the prison car park to reach the lane on which you park?

Cheers, Andy

What's the deal with Brasside ponds? I found somewhere saying you needed permission to visit. Is this true? If so, who do you need to ask for permission? Do you drive through the prison car park to reach the lane on which you park?

Cheers, Andy

Brasside was a DWT reserve (don't think it currently is though) and visiting details are shown on:www.durhamwt.co.uk/pdfs/.../BRASSIDE%20CARD.pdf

As far as I know, you still just park up at the end of the lane and follow the footpaths around the pond. Although the helpcard says about prior permission, I don't know of anyone who has been challenged.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back