• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (9 Viewers)

What's the deal with Brasside ponds? I found somewhere saying you needed permission to visit. Is this true? If so, who do you need to ask for permission? Do you drive through the prison car park to reach the lane on which you park?

Cheers, Andy

Think those signs went up last autumn, I've been there quite a few times, rightly or wrongly without any problems. I would just listen out for any shooting tho'
Been there this morning, 6 Manderin on the smaller pond.

Black Grouse - Teesdale

There were 32 Black Grouse at Langdon Beck this morning - 22 male, at their usual grazing field. I had a ride further up the valley and found 3 more groups of Black Grouse giving a total of 73 birds.
At one location the birds were really close, almost too close for digiscoping, weather could have been brighter, but I am pleased with these photos. Its great to see them doing so well.

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• Black-GrouseA.jpg
    Black-GrouseA.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Black-GrouseAAA.jpg
    Black-GrouseAAA.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Black-Grouse4.jpg
    Black-Grouse4.jpg
    930.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Teesdale area.

A couple of Drake Mandarin shots and Grey Heron from this morning.

Attachments

• AWG Drake Mandarin 3918..jpg
    AWG Drake Mandarin 3918..jpg
    207 KB · Views: 77
  • AWG Drake Mandarin 3926 ..jpg
    AWG Drake Mandarin 3926 ..jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 76
  • AWG Grey Heron 3881...jpg
    AWG Grey Heron 3881...jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 64
  • AWG Grey Heron 3893....jpg
    AWG Grey Heron 3893....jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 63
Feeling very hungover this morning and slightly regretting agreeing to lead a walk in Hartlepool we set off from Ward Jackson park. On view in the park, 5 Rose Ringed Parakeets, single Nuthatch and Treecreeper. Enroute to Summerhill a small group of Black Headed gulls lifted from the field adjoining the footpath, I had no bins with me and it had just started peeing down but something unusual lifted with them. With bleary eyes I thought it was a Glossy Ibis but wasn't sure.I phoned it in as a possible and finished the walk. As soon as I could I went back to try and confirm it and immediately on entering the field it had come closer.I was trying to phone in to confirm when a few other birders turned up and confirmed what I'd seen. First local rare I've found and should be accepted, turned out to be a good day! ..... ps. On leaving the field 4 White Fronted Geese flew over adding to what was a excellent day for me!

Last edited:
Anybody ever seen anything exciting around Aykley Heads/Aykley Woods? I've seen plenty of species around here on my lunch time walks but nothing particularly out-of-the-ordinary. Off out now to see what I can see...

Hi Andy,

I used to live close to Aykley heads and occasionally visit when I visit Durham. The most unusual thing I've seen there was a Harris hawk! Other more interesting stuff has included kingfisher (at the DLI pools), crossbill, merlin, willow tit, waxwing etc. Grasshopper warbler are present in summer.

Aykley woods is supposed to have purple hairstreak butterflies too - although I've never seen them there.

Crossbills would be a good spot, I've never seen them before! I think I've spotted some grasshopper warblers possibly but I always forget my binoculars so have to make do with not identifying it properly! Looking forward to hopefully spotting some waxwings this winter, plenty of rowan trees around to feed them!

A few of the Glossy Ibis from this morning.

Attachments

• AWG 4357 Glossy Ibis-1.jpg
    AWG 4357 Glossy Ibis-1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 86
  • AWG 4838 Glossy Ibis-1.jpg
    AWG 4838 Glossy Ibis-1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 130
  • AWG 4884 Glossy Ibis-1.jpg
    AWG 4884 Glossy Ibis-1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 81
Yesterday

A few shots from Hartlepool/Teesside area, taken yesterday.

Attachments

• Fieldfair_G9A8356.JPG
    Fieldfair_G9A8356.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Long Tailed Tit_G9A7967.JPG
    Long Tailed Tit_G9A7967.JPG
    262.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Med Gull_G9A8523.JPG
    Med Gull_G9A8523.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Oyster CatcherG9A8479.JPG
    Oyster CatcherG9A8479.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Ring Necked Parrakeet_G9A8868.JPG
    Ring Necked Parrakeet_G9A8868.JPG
    345.9 KB · Views: 107
Black Grouse in sunny Teesdale

I couldn't resist going back up to Teesdale since it was a sunny morning. These young male black grouse were originally about 100 yards away, then they kept walking closer. Photos are about 40 yards off and digiscoped. Again I found 3 different groups of birds, excluding the usual Langdon Beck birds which were about 500 yards away.
Also saw a covey of 8 partridges a flock of 60 fieldfares and a Kingfisher!

http://colsdigiscope.blogspot.co.uk/

Attachments

• Black-grouse06_edited-1.jpg
    Black-grouse06_edited-1.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Black-Grouse10.jpg
    Black-Grouse10.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Black-Grouse18.jpg
    Black-Grouse18.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 60
Well done Collin, nice to see them close fore a change, they are normally at least a field away when we go to the area.
Very nice shots :t:.

black Grouse

Cheers Ray, I think that because they were this years young birds they haven't got wise yet. there are good numbers up there too. Where have you been all summer, Int seen you in ages . You got a summer lodge somewhere?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back