• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (2 Viewers)

I tried for the Bitterns at RM yesterday late on circa 3pm but didnt find them |=(| , I should have asked the two people who were leaving as I arrived, I think one was Mr Kinghorn ?
I take it they are to the right as you sit in the hide, there was a solitary heron on the edge of the reeds in the middle,near there ?
Subject to domestic activities I plan to get there again this afternoon and give it another go.

I came back to the hide at about 3:15 and we saw the Bitterns extremely well after this time. Sorry to hear you left early and missed them.:-C

It could have been me you passed. If he was young (18), had a scope + bins that will have almost certainly been me. A lot shorter than the guy I was with (whitburnmark).

Why are so many birdwatchers selfish a###holes

Polite reminder to consider the welfare of wetland birds during this period of hard weather.

Birders have been climbing the fence & approaching the very small Bittern reedbed at Rainton today . . .

words fail

Last edited:
Probably the same birders who yesterday asked if I was stuck before popping his gear into his car and driving off or the other one who suggested that I should have bought a 4x4, before strolling off.......

Thanks to the dog walker who did give me a hand

Bumped into (not literally, I'm not that clumsy!) Shaggy for the first time today and Martin who I believe I have met in the past a few times at the famous freezer hide at Rainton to have a look at the current star birds. Have to say I was not disappointed, both Bitterns showing extremely well at times. Everybody behaved impeccably while I was there! By the way, I'm astonished Foghorn hasnt tried to turn one of these into an American Bittern!!!

Probably the same birders who yesterday asked if I was stuck before popping his gear into his car and driving off or the other one who suggested that I should have bought a 4x4, before strolling off.......

Thanks to the dog walker who did give me a hand

aye Ian, no wonder some of these sorts dont seem to give a care for needs of struggling birds, when they cant be arsed to assist struggling people.

They certainly sound like the calibre of selfish pillocks who wouldnt think twice about climbing a nature reserve fence during a spell of severe weather to harrass Bitterns - so much for all this snow bringing out the community spirit, 'im alrite jack, s#d you'.

nice to see someone bothered themselves to give you a hand.

-----------------------------------------------------------

we popped back this afternoon, at least one of the Bitterns still there & a hide full (by RMs standards) of appreciative observers.

while i kept the smaller family members entertained on the sledging hill, the missus finally bagged her bogey bird - one of the Bitterns fishing succesfully.

now no ice free water other than the inlet /outlet areas

Attachments

• struggling_5_DEC_2010-021.gif
    struggling_5_DEC_2010-021.gif
    108.4 KB · Views: 92
  • end_5_DEC_2010-022.gif
    end_5_DEC_2010-022.gif
    84.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Flushing Meadows - Harrassing & Ticking the birds of Co.Durham

Bumped into (not literally, I'm not that clumsy!) Shaggy for the first time today and Martin who I believe I have met in the past a few times at the famous freezer hide at Rainton to have a look at the current star birds. Have to say I was not disappointed, both Bitterns showing extremely well at times.

Everybody behaved impeccably while I was there!
Nevermind 2 Bitterns.
Thats probably the biggest surprise of 2010 down there.

I'm astonished Foghorn hasnt tried to turn one of these into an American Bittern!!!
theres time yet..... we havnt seen any images of his third bird ;) , yet

Last edited:
Good to meet Jason and Martin today at Rainton Meadows:t:. Quite a few others in and out of the hide in the three and a half hours I spent there, couldn't hang in any longer my fingers and toes were numb with cold;).

The Star attractions were putting on a great show for most of the day with one of the Bitterns, which is a bit darker than the other and has a darker "cap", kept chasing the lighter one every time it got close to it.

Attachments

• Bitern Chase 2.jpg
    Bitern Chase 2.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 107
  • Bittern Posing.jpg
    Bittern Posing.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Bittern Pair.jpg
    Bittern Pair.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Bittern 3.jpg
    Bittern 3.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Bittern 2.jpg
    Bittern 2.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 104
Good to meet Jason and Martin today at Rainton Meadows:t:. Quite a few others in and out of the hide in the three and a half hours I spent there, couldn't hang in any longer my fingers and toes were numb with cold;).

The Star attractions were putting on a great show for most of the day with one of the Bitterns, which is a bit darker than the other and has a darker "cap", kept chasing the lighter one every time it got close to it.

Incredible images Glen
Now we know who's been chasing the Bittern . . . The Other Bittern
! :-O

rainton meadows

There were no footprints in the snow yesterday morning when I was in hide with Jimmy, to show that someone had hopped the fence near the hide (unless they went over somewhere else).
A dogwalker also helped to push me out - thanks whoever it was!

Wow, superb pictures Glen! Of course it wouldnt have been possible if I hadnt found the birds for you and put you on them! 8-P Or maybe it was the other way round? :-O

Brambling x2 in the garden again this morning.

RSPB Saltholme - am - Water Rail x2 at Wildlife Watchpoint.

Zinc Works Road - Lapland Bunting 6-7, Woodcock x4, Skylark c.30, Meadow Pipit x2, Golden Plover c.20, Snipe c.20, Redshank, Turnstone, Dunlin, Sparrowhawk, Merlin, Kestrel x2. Mute Swan x9 and Peregrine - all in/over frozen field north side of sand extraction buildings.

Seaton Snook - samphire - Snow Bunting c.20, Lapland Bunting x3-4, Twite c.40, Common Redpoll x1, Skylark c.30, Dunlin c.100, Knot x3.

Attachments

• IMG_3442aa.jpg
    IMG_3442aa.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3164a.jpg
    IMG_3164a.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3180a.jpg
    IMG_3180a.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_3373aa.jpg
    IMG_3373aa.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2841a.jpg
    IMG_2841a.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 61
Aaaaagh ! Unfortunately couldnt get to RM today to see the Bitterns. |=(| I wont be able to visit in daylight hours until next Saturday - fingers crossed they are still around.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier post.

theres time yet..... we havnt seen any images of his third bird ;) , yet

I think there could be 3 birds, really do doubt it but you never know. Colin had one at Hetton Lyons/Bogs same time as the 2 were at Rainton.:

Steve Evans text at 1.12pm on 29 November:
2 Bitterns on pool 2 RMs.

Colin Wilson also reported a Bittern on Hetton Lyons Park main lake. What probably happened is the 1 at Rainton was joined by this bird and then spotted later on in the day. Or is it a third bird? Could be.....;)

I think there could be 3 birds, really do doubt it but you never know. Colin had one at Hetton Lyons/Bogs same time as the 2 were at Rainton.:

Steve Evans text at 1.12pm on 29 November:
2 Bitterns on pool 2 RMs.

Colin Wilson also reported a Bittern on Hetton Lyons Park main lake. What probably happened is the 1 at Rainton was joined by this bird and then spotted later on in the day. Or is it a third bird? Could be.....;)

i think we'll all be happy with 'just' the 2 Andrew. :t:

easy soloution to your 3 bird theory :-

i) either see 3 birds in view at once :king:

or

ii) observe 2 birds together who dont have that bright white rear end feather on their LHS's. :t:

i think we'll all be happy with 'just' the 2 Andrew. :t:

easy soloution to your 3 bird theory :-

i) either see 3 birds in view at once :king:

or

ii) observe 2 birds together who dont have that bright white rear end feather on their LHS's. :t:

I will do ii) I think. Seems easier to string.....;)

I still think there's only 2 birds but thought I better let everyone know just to keep in mind so that they might look for 3 rather than 2.

2 so locally is fantastic! I so hope they winter, providing those devoid of any knowledge of fieldcraft stay away.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back