• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Eastern phoebe here for winter? (1 Viewer)

Hmarie

Hello,
For the past week or so, every morning, I hear one eastern phoebe make 1or 2 calls then I don't hear it again.
I have not seen it, but it has a distinct call so I know that's what it is.
Is this uncommon? I thought they migrated to mexico in the winter, I am worried about it!

etudiant

Supporter
Hopefully the call is from another bird mimicking the Phoebe, because Minnesota winters are hard on flying insects.
I'd be astounded if a Phoebe could survive the season there.

raymie

United States
I live in Wisconsin and this past winter a phoebe overwintered not far from where I live and survived all the way to spring. A catbird also did the same.

etudiant

Supporter
Astounding, these are tough creatures.
My only comparable is a vagrant Rufous Hummingbird that overwintered here in NYC, by the American Museum of Natural History.
It subsisted on some flowering plants from the Pacific NW and the feeder the museum staff put up before moving on in March.

Hamhed

Late to the dance, as usual...
We don't have comparable weather here in western North Carolina that Minnesota or Wisconsin can produce but we know that wintering Phoebes eat a variety of small fruits, including sumac and poison ivy. So, their diet is adaptable during adverse conditions.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread