• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED 50 vs. Monarch 20x56 binoculars (1 Viewer)

I'm curious if any ED50 user ever looked through the Monarch 20x56 binoculars and what were the resulting feelings...o:D

This is a good question. I have an ED50, and every time I look
through mine, I say to myself, wow, this thing is very good.

I have experience with Monarch binoculars, not in that size,and have
not had that moment.

2 eyes are better than one, so that may be a great benefit. My
biggest binocular is 15X, and it is good, but it depends how long
of time you want to spend viewing. My eyes tire quickly with a
spotter. A binocular does offer some nice advantages.

That Monarch is fairly new, and I have not read any reviews or
comments on it.

Jerry

Has anyone ever tried to synch two ED50´s, and could they be a kind of Individual Focus "Big-Eyes"? I tried it recently for giggles using a Zeiss Victory Diascope with a Baader-Hyperion, and a Nikon ED50 with 27xw. I set them to equal mags, and fooled about trying to "collimate" the image by hand. When I got it right, the resulting view (on a field of cows about 2km away) was astounding. (Obviously unusable in the field, though).

As during my cr-birding I have to be always zooming and focusing, big astro-binoculars aren't practical for me (neither pairing 2 telescopes), so I went to the binoviewer solution since I also want high magnifications...:king:
The 20x of this bino is tempting me (it also has a good AFOV) and I think it might be a good alternative for those using the ED50 at low mags...o:D

As during my cr-birding I have to be always zooming and focusing, big astro-binoculars aren't practical for me (neither pairing 2 telescopes), so I went to the binoviewer solution since I also want high magnifications...:king:
The 20x of this bino is tempting me (it also has a good AFOV) and I think it might be a good alternative for those using the ED50 at low mags...o:D

All else being equal, you would want a bigger aperture to make up for
the light loss and split to two eyes. 70m or 80mm instead of 50mm,
that sort of thing. ED is crucial for binoculars at 20x, unless you get a rare old long-barrel type.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back