• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EII, good news & bad news. (1 Viewer)

Otto McDiesel

I make no secret of the fact that i consider a good sample of the the 10x35 EII as being my favorite binoculars, and that i prefer them over any
fancy-shpancy roofs. And i am talking optics here, with no budgetary restrictions.

Here are the bad news:
- the rubber has started peeling off my beloved binos.
- i hear rumours that the EII's will be discountinued.

Here are the good news:
- a drop of epoxy (actually Acraglass, the best 'poxy on Earth), fixed the rubber.
- i ordered another pair of 10x35's, just in case.
- my six year old daughter decided that her favorite bino is a EII 8x30, so we got one. This was actually her own decision, and we even offered her waterproof binos such as Kahles 8x32, but she got the Nikons, based on how she saw the Bluejays outside the store.

And the best of the good ones:
- our "inferior" EII's will go birding with us to Mongolia and Siberia next spring.

P.S. Don't ever take a child shopping for binoculars, expecting them to make their own choice. You may have to take a week off....

Otto McDiesel said:
I make no secret of the fact that i consider a good sample of the the 10x35 EII as being my favorite binoculars, and that i prefer them over any
fancy-shpancy roofs. And i am talking optics here, with no budgetary restrictions.

Here are the bad news:
- the rubber has started peeling off my beloved binos.
- i hear rumours that the EII's will be discountinued.

Here are the good news:
- a drop of epoxy (actually Acraglass, the best 'poxy on Earth), fixed the rubber.
- i ordered another pair of 10x35's, just in case.
- my six year old daughter decided that her favorite bino is a EII 8x30, so we got one. This was actually her own decision, and we even offered her waterproof binos such as Kahles 8x32, but she got the Nikons, based on how she saw the Bluejays outside the store.

And the best of the good ones:
- our "inferior" EII's will go birding with us to Mongolia and Siberia next spring.

P.S. Don't ever take a child shopping for binoculars, expecting them to make their own choice. You may have to take a week off....

Hi Otto

Just a question how in your opinion do the 10 x 35 E11's compare to Nikon SE 10 x 42's
I own a pair of the 10 x SE's and they are very very sharp to almost edge but the fov is only 6 degrees i sometimes find the view thru my Zeiss Jenoptem 10 x 50's nearly as sharp but actually more relaxing looking at landscape and aviation shows etc
The Jenoptem's are i think 7.3 degrees fov
I'm thinking maybe these 10 x E11's may give a really sharp but wide view like the Jenoptem's mind you the smaller exit pupil might make them less relaxed ?
Your comments appreciated

Regards
Rich T

richt said:
Hi Otto

Just a question how in your opinion do the 10 x 35 E11's compare to Nikon SE 10 x 42's
I own a pair of the 10 x SE's and they are very very sharp to almost edge but the fov is only 6 degrees i sometimes find the view thru my Zeiss Jenoptem 10 x 50's nearly as sharp but actually more relaxing looking at landscape and aviation shows etc
The Jenoptem's are i think 7.3 degrees fov
I'm thinking maybe these 10 x E11's may give a really sharp but wide view like the Jenoptem's mind you the smaller exit pupil might make them less relaxed ?
Your comments appreciated

Regards
Rich T

I actually prefer the 10x35 EII to the 10x42 SE. However, the SE has a better image quality - it is slightly sharper, slightly brighter, and has slightly better color rendition.
The EII has quite a flat, clear, wide, and bright image, and the exit pupil is quite enough for relaxed viewing (the exit pupil is something that is related to age - persons 65 and older may need more than 3.5 mm). The eyepieces in the EII have some field flatteners and aspherical elements, because i like the image clear and nice almost to the edge. The field of view is 7 degrees, and i think that 6.3 to 6.5 of those degrees are perfectly nice and flat and usable.
Why i prefer the EII: wider field of view, nicer feel to the focuser (softer and faster), and less weight. Also, the SE has long eye relief (not important to me) which asks for careful and correct positioning of the eyes relative to the ocular lenses. I tested 8x32 and 10x42 SE's for days and i found that, even if i don't get blackouts, the image quality depends on holding the binoculars correctly. The EII, with shorter eye relief, is much easier to use: just bring them to our eyes and the bird is there.
My EII focuses as close as 3 meters or less, but at that distance i don't need binoculars. At less than 4 meters, i need to reduce the interpupilary distance just a bit, to be able to see properly.
My Dekarem has been "sick" for 4 years now, and until i can have it repaired (by a retired friend in Jena, mind you - that will cost me a lot of beer) i can only compare from memory: the EII is much nicer to use and has better image, except, maybe, at dawn and dusk, when the Dekarem may offer a few (but just a few) extra minutes of viewing. All in all, from a purely optical standpoint, and perhaps durability, the SE is superior. However, the sum of all things makes the EII a more user friendly binocular.

I agree about the immense value and quality of EIIs, I own one of each. Knowing that they might be discontinued makes me want to buy another few of the 8x30s to last me the rest of my life.

The place where I bought my 10x35s some months ago was closing them out back then and will not be restocking, possibly Nikon has already stopped making them and are just selling through what is left.

It is a real loss when a bin of such quality goes away becuase they aren't as cutting edge as the market seems to want these days.

Otto McDiesel said:
I actually prefer the 10x35 EII to the 10x42 SE. However, the SE has a better image quality - it is slightly sharper, slightly brighter, and has slightly better color rendition.
The EII has quite a flat, clear, wide, and bright image, and the exit pupil is quite enough for relaxed viewing (the exit pupil is something that is related to age - persons 65 and older may need more than 3.5 mm). The eyepieces in the EII have some field flatteners and aspherical elements, because i like the image clear and nice almost to the edge. The field of view is 7 degrees, and i think that 6.3 to 6.5 of those degrees are perfectly nice and flat and usable.
Why i prefer the EII: wider field of view, nicer feel to the focuser (softer and faster), and less weight. Also, the SE has long eye relief (not important to me) which asks for careful and correct positioning of the eyes relative to the ocular lenses. I tested 8x32 and 10x42 SE's for days and i found that, even if i don't get blackouts, the image quality depends on holding the binoculars correctly. The EII, with shorter eye relief, is much easier to use: just bring them to our eyes and the bird is there.
My EII focuses as close as 3 meters or less, but at that distance i don't need binoculars. At less than 4 meters, i need to reduce the interpupilary distance just a bit, to be able to see properly.
My Dekarem has been "sick" for 4 years now, and until i can have it repaired (by a retired friend in Jena, mind you - that will cost me a lot of beer) i can only compare from memory: the EII is much nicer to use and has better image, except, maybe, at dawn and dusk, when the Dekarem may offer a few (but just a few) extra minutes of viewing. All in all, from a purely optical standpoint, and perhaps durability, the SE is superior. However, the sum of all things makes the EII a more user friendly binocular.

Hi again Otto

Well thanks for a very informative reply i do agree the 10 x SE requires careful eye positioning (i actually prefer the Zeiss Jenoptem eye position) due to shorter eye relief i imagine
It sounds very much as if i need to take a look at the 10 x E11 and i shall try when i visit Florida in September
Once i have made sure my daughter sees "mickey mouse and mob " that is
It was always my intention to buy Swift Audubon Porro's 820 or 804 HR5 when in America as i really rate them but i can hopefully check out the E11's if any dealers have them available
As you say the Nikon 10 x SE's are really optically "on the money" but i think sometimes you have to "work" for the view and i prefer that "easy image straight away at the eyes" especially in wide viewing situations
That said i dont think i will ever part with the SE's as in all other aspects the "image" is just as good if not sharper than anything i have seen to date
If only there was a 10 x SE with 7 degree fov and easier eye placement oh well thats just another fantasy binocular !!

Regards
Rich

Otto McDiesel said:
All in all, from a purely optical standpoint, and perhaps durability, the SE is superior. However, the sum of all things makes the EII a more user friendly binocular.
Otto,
I reached a similar conclusion, in this forum, comparing the 8x30 EII with the 8x32 Se. I also compared both glasses to an old Leitz 8x30 Binuxit and found the EII similar to the old binocular but better. The notion of a "relaxed view" seems to have more importance to me as I age. Both EII models seem to offer a lot of optical quality for the money.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :brains:

Greetings All,

Yes, Nikon Customer Service told me two weeks ago the E2's are being discontinued ...... but don't fret too much .... not yet ..... there is still probably a fair supply of stock around .

The E2's really are an excellent buy ..... but I personally found the focus to be overly stiff .... I tried the 8x30, 10x35 and a 10x42 SE . I really liked them ,especially the FOV (of the E2's) ! . . . but couldn't live with the slow focus of all of them . .... and come winter ..... they'd be very hard to focus . It's really too bad ..... just because they cost less doesn't mean they should focus like that.

If you don't mind the slow focus .... the E2's have to be 'best buys' .

-Best wishes, Garth

Given the world-wide kudos for EIIs, I just wonder why Nikon would choose to D/C the line. Is it to pave the way for EIII (WP, N2 purged) or relocate the resources to trendy Roofies? B :)

Last edited:
leicaeddy said:
Given the world-wide kudos for EIIs, I just wonder why Nikon would choose to D/C the line. Is it to pave the way for EIII (WP, N2 purged) or relocate the resources to trendy Roofies? B :)
I'd settle for E2 optics in a Superior E body. At least that way the covering wouldn't fall off.

How a company whose engineers can calculate extraordinarily sophisticated camera metering system algorithms can't figure out how to make rubber stick to metal is really beyond me.

-Adam

Pinewood said:
Otto,
I reached a similar conclusion, in this forum, comparing the 8x30 EII with the 8x32 Se. I also compared both glasses to an old Leitz 8x30 Binuxit and found the EII similar to the old binocular but better. The notion of a "relaxed view" seems to have more importance to me as I age. Both EII models seem to offer a lot of optical quality for the money.

Happy bird watching,

Arthur,

Are the Nikon E2's "keepers" for you?

John

garth said:
Greetings All,

Yes, Nikon Customer Service told me two weeks ago the E2's are being discontinued ...... but don't fret too much .... not yet ..... there is still probably a fair supply of stock around .

The E2's really are an excellent buy ..... but I personally found the focus to be overly stiff .... I tried the 8x30, 10x35 and a 10x42 SE . I really liked them ,especially the FOV (of the E2's) ! . . . but couldn't live with the slow focus of all of them . .... and come winter ..... they'd be very hard to focus . It's really too bad ..... just because they cost less doesn't mean they should focus like that.

-Best wishes, Garth

Garth,

Did you ask about the SE's?

John

John Traynor said:
Arthur,

Are the Nikon E2's "keepers" for you?

John
John,

Indeed they are!

A coworker is planning for an Alaskan vacation. When I suggested that she get binoculars, she thought that she would buy something for $100. I let her look through my 8x30 EII, which I carried to work anticipating ring billed gulls or an American kestrel [no luck]. She took one look through them and took my advice.

Optically, they are well worth the price. It is not waterproof, it has a reputation of being less than robust, and the exit pupil and eye relief are less than generous. Yet it perfectly fits my fair weather needs and my coworker will find it useful from a tour bus or from the deck of a cruise ship.

Happy birdwatching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

John Traynor said:
Garth,

Did you ask about the SE's?

John

John,

Yes, I was told the SE's remain a current production ..... and though one can never predict the future .... I got the impression they'll be around indefinitely . . . . and why not . . . there's little competition with them for high end porros :) !

It's too bad about the E2's ..... I thought these were just remodeled last summer .... and now already discontinued . It seems optics are becoming as trendy as digital cameras and such ..... the public has become so used to the word 'upgrade' ..... it's almost expected every 6 to 24 months. Ever changing trends.

Best wishes, Garth

garth said:
Greetings All,

-Best wishes, Garth

Yes, the SE have a rather slow and stiff focus, in cold weather, but the E2 do not. I have used my E2 at subfreezing temperatures and they still had a nice focus. I also do not think that they have a slow focus. It is quite nice, in my opinion.
We are probably not talking about the same binoculars or we are perceiving things in a different way.

Otto McDiesel said:
Yes, the SE have a rather slow and stiff focus, in cold weather, but the E2 do not. I have used my E2 at subfreezing temperatures and they still had a nice focus. I also do not think that they have a slow focus. It is quite nice, in my opinion.
We are probably not talking about the same binoculars or we are perceiving things in a different way.

My wife uses her SE 8X32 in subfreezing temps while wearing North Face Himalayan goose down mittens AND she sees everything she wants to see. I laugh every time I read about the SE's slow focus! Yes, the focus slows down in cold weather, but the wonderful depth of field in the 8X32 SE more than compensates.

John

My 10x42 SE has a slow and stiff focus, but it does not get much stiffer in very cold temperatures (I've used it down to -20 Centigrade). I would thus say that if you can deal with it in the shop, you can deal with it in the field. Not all units may be the same, but this is my experience.

Kimmo

Pinewood said:
John,

Indeed they are!

A coworker is planning for an Alaskan vacation. When I suggested that she get binoculars, she thought that she would buy something for $100. I let her look through my 8x30 EII, which I carried to work anticipating ring billed gulls or an American kestrel [no luck]. She took one look through them and took my advice.

Today, she looked through my infamous red Leica 8x32 BN and proclaimed that the E2 was better! Since I did not have both with me, I did not ask her reasons. It may be that the wider FOV is very important to the general user or that the E2 Porro design provides more contrast. This surely requires some research.

Happy bird watching,

Today, I asked my coworker why she liked the Nikon and she had two reasons. The E2 has a wider field and she prefers the way the E2 feels in her hands.
Chacun a son gout!

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back