• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL 10x42 casing deterioration. (1 Viewer)

.........not entirely free from conflict of interest........

........not entirely free from (edit: appearance of) conflict of interests.........
Peter,
I trust Jan and the info provided by him. I have never detected any biased opinion caused by a "conflict of interest" in his posts. Also because, as he said, he's selling a lot of Swaros it's likely that the size of his sample is large enough to allow drawing relatively reliable conclusions.
Personally I remain of the opinion that the FP's armor is less robust than that of the older SV and EL models. All my current Swaro binos are SVs. Some people like the changes from SV to FP, I do not.
Peter.

Couldn't work out how to include description above. Anyway, I highly recommend that anyone with any further armour issues includes a current dated photo with the serial number of their binoculars.

And that folks, is how the skulking behemoth, deflects from the genuine quality control concerns about their products.
Peter, I really do hope you are not suggesting that members or Birdforum itself have been recruited into some kind of cover-up by Swarovski. If you are I recommend that you consider the more than 200 posts in this thread, not to mention the photographs of Swarovskis with deteriorated armour, and these should reassure you that you are mistaken. Jan van Daalen is not just a Swarovski dealer but sells 6-7 other brands too although at the moment Leica is not one of them due to a disagreement over a point of principle. He has openly supplied information on Birdforum without fear or favour and is a valued member. He, like you, can only speak about his experience and of course his experience may not have relevance to yours.

Lee

Couldn't work out how to include description above. Anyway, I highly recommend that anyone with any further armour issues includes a current dated photo with the serial number of their binoculars.
The amor of your 50mm SVs looks impeccable to me, am I mistaken?

Last edited:
Peter, I really do hope you are not suggesting that members or Birdforum itself have been recruited into some kind of cover-up by Swarovski. If you are I recommend that you consider the more than 200 posts in this thread, not to mention the photographs of Swarovskis with deteriorated armour, and these should reassure you that you are mistaken. Jan van Daalen is not just a Swarovski dealer but sells 6-7 other brands too although at the moment Leica is not one of them due to a disagreement over a point of principle. He has openly supplied information on Birdforum without fear or favour and is a valued member. He, like you, can only speak about his experience and of course his experience may not have relevance to yours.

Lee
So true.

This has really gone off the rails. We hear from people who have all sorts of problems with particular binoculars and others who don't, with no reason to distrust anyone or expect the overall story to be simpler. With all products one tends to hear more complaints online than praise, so problems tend to be over-represented in that sense. Here we also have dealers who can report cumulative experience, which will align with some individual experiences and not others. The curious thing in this instance is that we're aware of a specific change in Swaro armor that could now plausibly be blamed by those whose armor deteriorates, and yet there are still others who say theirs doesn't... and Swaro has legendary service and repairs it anyway, whether it results from DEET, UV, sun lotion, hand sanitizer, sweat, gasoline, smog, etc.

The context for terms like "skulking behemoth" is conspiracy thinking, which seems to be growing into a sort of skulking behemoth itself lately.

Hi Peter,

No worries mate, but what means "skulking behemoth"?

Jan
"Skulking behemoth" is a phrase dripping with unspoken criticism.
'Skulking' is similar to 'hiding' but adds a sense of 'lurking with an evil intention'.
'Behemoth' is a creature mentioned in the Bible, along with Leviathon, who brought chaos, and is a word often used to mean a large organisation that has its own view on the meanings of 'right' and 'wrong'.

Lee

Thanks guys,

It's always handy to have a former English literature professor in the room.

Jan
It is always handy to have a young man called Jan to put his finger in the hole in the dyke to stop the water flooding in the Netherlands and to have a slightly older Jan as a valued member of Birdforum.

Lee

The amor of your 50mm SVs looks impeccable to me, am I mistaken?
Peter, it's come away from the body at the back, just below the two indents. It's practically impossible to show on a photo, because on the left hand side there's 1mm give, on the right 0.5mm. Thanks for sticking to the issue, any mob can parse the ipsissima verba.

Peter, it's come away from the body at the back, just below the two indents. It's practically impossible to show on a photo, because on the left hand side there's 1mm give, on the right 0.5mm. Thanks for sticking to the issue, any mob can parse the ipsissima verba.
While we are sticking to the issue and staying away from conspiracy theories, bino armour is not meant to be a permanent and immovable fitment. It has to be removeable to allow servicing and repairs to take place. I am by no means saying that your armour is not coming loose, I just don't know, but it is worth bearing in mind that armour has to be removeable.

Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back