• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Engage 10x42 (1 Viewer)

TonyPond

United Kingdom
Hello all.

First post here.

My wife has recently taken a very keen interest in bird watching, we live on the edge of the New forest so spend a lot of time wandering about though it.

I'm looking at buying her a decent pair of binoculars for her Birthday.

I'm a target shooter and just Love Bushnell rifle scopes and range fingers so have a soft spot for Bushnell.

I'm looking at a pair of Engage 10x42 but see that a few models are available.

The base model seems to be badged Engage X and the next model up is badged DX

Are the DX models worth the extra £100 or so price?

Not looking for anything professional but want a pair that are pretty decent and are going to give good results.

Any advise (good or bad) will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Tony

Well, looking at the specs of the 2 binos I see two differences - the x has a narrower field of of at 5.8 degrees vs the dx fov of 6.5 deg, the x has a description of being "lightweight" without a description of the material the body is made of- I think it's likely a plastic composite, the dx states having a magnesium frame. the x has a weight of 21.87 oz, the dx 23.5 oz. personally I like metal frames as opposed to plastic frames. Each had it's advantages and faults. With the rest of the description being the same, it's up to you whether the difference add up to a hundred dollar US (for me ) difference. Are you buying them mail order or brick and mortar? I think the potential for a wider sample variation from one to the other might be greater than the specifications differences. Try before buy would be prudent. Regards, Pat

I've been in forests and parks trying to track flying birds with 10x binoculars and prefer an 8x pair for the larger field of view. Bushnell's documentation says the Engage 10x42 models have a 340ft/113m FOV. The EDX 8x42 model has a 426ft/142m FOV. But the 8x is more expensive due to the ED glass and locking diopter. Are you willing to consider another brand? (Nothing against Bushnell, I have several.) In the $200 range you might find a competitor's ED model on sale.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back