• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Englewood FL and offshore (1 Viewer)

nfbirder

I am traveling from my home in NY to Englewood, FL for a week later this month (March). I'll be taking several boat trips that depart Englewood and travel up to 30 miles offshore. What should I keep my eye out for? Never been as far south as Florida and I've only...birded?...engaged in birding? rather casually in NY and MA.

Cool, my dad lives in Englewood, I go there on a regular basis to visit him.

Pelagic birding in the Gulf of Mexico can be pretty boring- I went on a winter pelagic trip once from southern Texas once, and hours would go by without a single sighting, and we never saw any shearwaters or storm-petrels (although they are possible). At the least there should be Northern Gannets plus Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers. I can't recall offhand which shearwaters occur in the Gulf in winter, but there are some.

Land birding should be pretty exciting though. Shamrock Park, about 20-30 minutes north of Englewood, is a good place to find the endemic Florida Scrub-Jay.

Last edited:
Pelagic birding off of the gulf coast of Florida is terrible. While I was doing pelagic bird surveys in the Gulf of Mexico with NOAA, I spent about a month out in the open gulf. There would be many days where we did not have a single bird at all. That said, there is always the chance you may see something -- we recorded a Masked Booby off Louisiana as well as Great and Audubon's Shearwaters off Pensacola, Florida.

Carlos

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back