• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

English Species (1 Viewer)

coolboy

Hi
I'll be in Alnmouth for a week at the start of July and was hoping to get a chance to see some species not seen in the far north of Scotland where I'm based. I've looked at some similar previous threads. The obvious ones are Willow and Marsh Tit. I see that Willow Tit are mentioned at East Chevington and Cetti's Warbler also seems to be there? The main recommendation for Willow seems to be Prestwick Carr. Are Marsh Tit possible close to Alnmouth? I saw that Little Owl can be seen at Druridge and there's been a Ruddy Shelduck there recently? Any chance the returning Caspian Gull would be back at Amble before 15th July? I did also wonder about Purple Heron or Nightjar?
Any recommendations for spots to see these species, preferably closer to Alnmouth would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Purple herons are just occasional visitors... whether they end up there is pretty much down to chance. I've been to northumberland and osprey is definitely something to look out for. If you can move about a bit then roseate terns are also a possibility.
It seems as Nightjars also pretty uncommon for the area, it seems as if they are pretty scarce in northumberland in general, though a local will give you better information on that.

Last edited:
Purple herons are just occasional visitors... whether they end up there is pretty much down to chance. I've been to northumberland and osprey is definitely something to look out for. If you can move about a bit then roseate terns are also a possibility.
It seems as Nightjars also pretty uncommon for the area, it seems as if they are pretty scarce in northumberland in general, though a local will give you better information on that.
Thanks, I did think the last two were long-shots, more hopeful for marsh/willow tit or even hearing a Cetti's warbler!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back