• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Equipment you Use? (1 Viewer)

I am afraid I do not the answer to that Neil,but probably you would not be able to.What you could do write a programme on your PC and then transfer it to a compact flash card and use it that way.

POP

Coming late with my response to the pocket pc question I'm afraid, but I'll give my opinion since it was asked for ;)

hello topmate, what pocket pc do you use, or what would you recommend?

At the moment I use an O2 xda IIi, mainly because I was able to blag it as a free upgrade at contract renewal time! It is handy having one item for everything (pocket pc and phone in one) and there are a number of equivalent models available on the "big 4" mobile networks, so if you're close to upgrade time or thinking of a new contract (if you're a contract kinda guy) you may well be able to get one stupid cheap.

If I was just buying a pocket pc, however, I would undoubtedly buy an iPaq. I've had a number of PDA devices and my last iPaq 4150 was far and away the best I've ever had.

Neil I use an Ipaq 2210 which I find an excellent pocket pc

The 2210 is indeed an excellent Pocket PC. For the extra money, however, I'd be inclined to go for the 2410, which has wi-fi built in. Wireless internet access takes pocket pc to a whole new level of usability.

I have found mine covers most avenues and also you can use it as a GPRS system in your car

GPRS functionality is an absolute winner. Check out globalpositioningsystems.co.uk for some great PocketPC and GPRS bundle deals.

just one question is it possible to do any programming (i.e. write your own small programs ) on these pocket pc things, just simple Basic Programming will do

Yes, you can program on pocket PC, depending on what you want to do. There are some nice freeware HTML editors (for REALLY basic programming!) and if you're confident on your coding then there's always pocket word (which is really pocket notepad!). Basic programming FOR pocket PC is a lot easier, with .net and visual basic being good starting points. Difficult to give more info without knowing what it is you're wanting to do exactly.

Its possible that someone out there has already produced a program for what you're wanting to do. As well as commercial software there is a thriving pocket pc freeware community out there too, try pocketpcfreewares.com as a starting point. Click on the union jack to get the site in english and enjoy!

Just to give a quick nod to a program I find very useful for birding, pocket artist. It's the equivalent of photoshop for pocket pc, which means that you can easily make colour field sketches, beats all those little arrows!

I also have the Collins Field guide software

I'll just have to hope that Santa makes it too! :eat:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back