• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

err message (1 Viewer)

Rob Chace

I have occasionaly experienced a problem with my D70 & was wondering if anyone else has come across it before & what they did about it.
Sometimes when pressing the shutter release button, the mirror seems to lock in the up posistion. I have then to press the button again to get the mirror to reset. No image is recorded to the card when this happens. err is then flashing on the lcd screen. It usually happens just after turning camera on. This has cost me few good shots & is infuriating to say the least.
Any info would be appreciated.
Regards Rob.

Keith Reeder said:
There seems to be a bit on the net about this, Rob - http://www.dcresource.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-10647.html for example - but I haven't seen it myself (touch wood).

Is your camera still under warranty?
Thanks Keith,
Seems to be the same problem. I have had camera for about 6 months, so is still under warranty.
The lens aperture advice stated in the above thread, gives a `fee' message, so it looks like it is a shutter problem :C

Just an update. Today the camera has totally refused to work, err every time i press the shutter release. Have contacted Nikon & they said that they will repair under warranty. The really niggling bit is that i was told that it will take 3-4 weeks, & i have to pay the postage to send it to them!!!! All this on a 6 mth old camera that has taken less than 1200 pictures.-NOT HAPPY!! :C

Sounds like the problem I had - i had a couple of no go err messages and then it completely gave up the ghost just as yours has. Mine went to Nikon via Warehouse Express - new circuit board fitted - plus they updated the firmware i had'nt bothered to do, cleaned it and added one of the rubber covers I'd lost. Took about 17 days inc. going through W/E so might not be as long as quoted.

With everything stripped off to make it as light as possible it cost 6.95 special delivery insured - worth that for the cleaning!

Keith Reeder said:
Rob, if this is the same problem as here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=441944#post441944

double check with Nikon - elsewhere in the world they'll reimburse customers for all costs.
No Keith, this sounds like the dreaded blinking green light of death, which is another fault with the D70. They have said on the Nikon website that they will fix this problem free of charge, even if the camera is out of warranty.I have had a nose about on the net, & it seems this is a known problem.
I just hope they do a thorough job & it doesn't come back in a couple of months like it has with some unfortunate customers!.....time will tell.
Regards Rob.

...and today I received a cheque from Warehouse Express for 6.95 to cover postage. Top marks to both them and Nikon!

Update

Recieved camera back from Nikon on the 16th. They have fitted a new shutter unit & given it a clean. Tried a lens on & everything seems ok.
Lets hope this is a end to the problem!
Regards Rob :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back