• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopia and binoculars (1 Viewer)

I made a (solo, backpack) trip to Ethiopia in 2014 and didn't even think about this! :oops:
Fortunately, no problems at all getting my binoculars in. I would have gone straight home otherwise.
Perhaps the civil war has made authorities more vigilant.

I'm about two weeks away from leaving for my trip, but I thought I'd give an update on what I've learned from Rockjumper's ground agent (Anbessa Travel):

• They have applied for the permits for the binoculars and camera with the Information Network Security Administration (INSA).
  • The permits have been approved by INSA and they will collect them soon.
  • They will then send a copy of the permit letter to us in the next couple of days.
  • We then show that document to the Customs agent when we arrive at ADD.
  • There is no additional duty for the devices. Those have been waived as part of the approval process.

They also said that there should be no objection from the customs agent since we will have the proper paperwork, but we'll see. Still a completely silly requirement, but hopefully all goes well.

I'll provide another update once I'm in Addis.

I'm about two weeks away from leaving for my trip, but I thought I'd give an update on what I've learned from Rockjumper's ground agent (Anbessa Travel):

• They have applied for the permits for the binoculars and camera with the Information Network Security Administration (INSA).
  • The permits have been approved by INSA and they will collect them soon.
  • They will then send a copy of the permit letter to us in the next couple of days.
  • We then show that document to the Customs agent when we arrive at ADD.
  • There is no additional duty for the devices. Those have been waived as part of the approval process.

They also said that there should be no objection from the customs agent since we will have the proper paperwork, but we'll see. Still a completely silly requirement, but hopefully all goes well.

I'll provide another update once I'm in Addis.
There shouldn’t be a problem. We were stopped, and they scrutinised our permit and serial numbers and then let us through. A friend was on a separate trip on transfer and his were confiscated and he collected them the next morning - took about an hour.

We return through Addis in the next few days with an overnight. We are hoping our old permit works. This time we also are going to try and go through a different exit - not the one where they scan transit visitors. Holding thumbs

There shouldn’t be a problem. We were stopped, and they scrutinised our permit and serial numbers and then let us through. A friend was on a separate trip on transfer and his were confiscated and he collected them the next morning - took about an hour.

We return through Addis in the next few days with an overnight. We are hoping our old permit works. This time we also are going to try and go through a different exit - not the one where they scan transit visitors. Holding thumbs
Best of luck!

Just a quick update before I leave on Sunday.

I received the paperwork for importing the binoculars into Ethiopia. It's mostly in Amharic, but I can clearly see my name, passport number, and the serial number for my binoculars on there. It's also got the names of the other patrons and our Rockjumper guide on there, too, so it's apparently one letter for the whole tour, even though we all arrive separately

Rockjumper also sent another letter. It's from the Ministry of Tourism. I don't know who it was being sent to or what it says (it's entirely in Amharic), but I'm bringing that one with me too.

Next update will be Monday morning from Addis.

Just a quick update before I leave on Sunday.

I received the paperwork for importing the binoculars into Ethiopia. It's mostly in Amharic, but I can clearly see my name, passport number, and the serial number for my binoculars on there. It's also got the names of the other patrons and our Rockjumper guide on there, too, so it's apparently one letter for the whole tour, even though we all arrive separately

Rockjumper also sent another letter. It's from the Ministry of Tourism. I don't know who it was being sent to or what it says (it's entirely in Amharic), but I'm bringing that one with me too.

Next update will be Monday morning from Addis.
You shouldn’t have a problem. We entered back in with our old permit. The scanners had a tantrum and I just asked politely again and again to go to the “ Binoculars man “ saying I had a permit. When I arrived at the binoculars man, I said I have a permit for my binoculars, he said is it taxable, I said no and he said go. He didn’t even look at the permit or binoculars. The scanners did though.

You shouldn’t have a problem. We entered back in with our old permit. The scanners had a tantrum and I just asked politely again and again to go to the “ Binoculars man “ saying I had a permit. When I arrived at the binoculars man, I said I have a permit for my binoculars, he said is it taxable, I said no and he said go. He didn’t even look at the permit or binoculars. The scanners did though.
Who is "The binoculars man"? Is there a separate person who reviews the permits?

And was the issue that it was on old permit, or simply that you had binos at all?

Who is "The binoculars man"? Is there a separate person who reviews the permits?

And was the issue that it was on old permit, or simply that you had binos at all?
When you want to exit the airport there is one line to scan your luggage on exit for “transfer people” just overnighting in Addis (the right exit). This is the short line. And another longer line for everyone else, all luggage is also scanned there (the left exit)

Both times we went to the right exit and when they found our binoculars it was oh such a big problem. I expect the left exit scanner will be the same. The left scanner is close to the Binoculars Man so from that point of view maybe easier.

I named the man “The Binoculars man”, I think he may be a customs official. I referred to him as the binoculars man and they said “who is that” I replied “the man that checks the binoculars permit”.

Stay calm, say you have a permit for your binoculars from the government and you want to show it to the man that checks the permits.

The binoculars man sits at a small desk about 15-20m slightly left and behind (almost in a corner) of the left scanner.

We had exactly the same problem when we entered the first time and our permit was valid, I think 😂. The problem was the binoculars. With a permit I don’t think they will confiscate them (without they will - a friend on overnight transfer without a permit had this happen). Just be patient, keep talking calmly, you have a permit, you are allowed to take them in with you.

They never looked at the permit the second time we entered - I just said I have a permit from your government to take in binoculars and showed it to them (at the right scanner) briefly from a distance. They marched me to the binoculars man. I told him I have a permit from the government for the binoculars. He never even asked to see it.

I guess though it all depends on who is on duty.

Hope it helps. I’m happy to answer any other questions.

Today it was a "binoculars woman" ;). She was actually very sweet.

I first tried to walk past the scanners like I saw someone else doing, but the scanner agent (also a woman) called me back. So I got in line and put my stuff through. Of course she pulled out my bag. When I said it was mine she said somewhat accusingly "You have binoculars!" I calmly replied,"Yes, I have a permit." And the scanner woman answered back, "Go over there" pointing to some windows and some desks to the left.

I figured the windows were for people paying duties, so I went to the first (open) desk. I showed the woman my binoculars and her face lit up. She pulled out a file and there was the paperwork. She asked which person I was, and I showed her my name on the paper I had. She found my name on her paper. While she did, I opened up the knob to show her the serial number, but she didn't even look at that. She simply noted the model number, smiled again, and said "OK, thank you." I replied "No. Thank you." and that was it. Easy Peasy.

When I met my ride, he said that he'd already taken four people from the tour to the hotel, so I'm guessing the binoculars woman had done this already this morning.

We're waiting now for one other tour patron. Hopefully it goes as smoothly for him.

Last edited:
Today it was a "binoculars woman" ;). She was actually very sweet.

I first tried to walk past the scanners like I saw someone else doing, but the scanner agent (also a woman) called me back. So I got in line and put my stuff through. Of course she pulled out my bag. When I said it was mine she said somewhat accusingly "You have binoculars!" I calmly replied,"Yes, I have a permit." And the scanner woman answered back, "Go over there" pointing to some windows and some desks to the left.

I figured the windows were for people paying duties, so I went to the first (open) desk. I showed the woman my binoculars and her face lit up. She pulled out a file and there was the paperwork. She asked which person I was, and I showed her my name on the paper I had. She found my name on her paper. While she did I opened up the knob to show her the serial number, but she didn't even look at that. She simply noted the model number, smiled again, and said "OK, thank you." I replied "No. Thank you." and that was it. Easy Peasy.

When I met my ride, he said that he'd already taken four people from the tour to the hotel, so I'm guessing the binoculars woman had done this already this morning.

We're waiting now for one other tour patron. Hopefully it goes as smoothly for him.
I’m glad it went smoothly. Have a wonderful trip. We have just arrived back in South Africa, a relief to be in a semi civilised spot after 3 months in the Horn of Africa

I’m glad it went smoothly. Have a wonderful trip. We have just arrived back in South Africa, a relief to be in a semi civilised spot after 3 months in the Horn of Africa
Thanks for your help.

And welcome home. Yeah, South Africa is pretty civilized. I even rented a car and drove there. I don't think I'd even consider that anyplace else in Africa.

I'm transitting through Addis on my way to Ghana soon.
Would it be advisable to put my bins in hold luggage, rather than have them in my carry on bag at Addis?
Do transitters go through scans?
Any advice welcome - the last thing I want is to get to Ghana without bins.
No one has mentioned telescopes. How do they fare in Ethiopia?

Would it be advisable to put my bins in hold luggage, rather than have them in my carry on bag at Addis?
I must admit I would much prefer to fly direct to Accra and rule out any possible problem at Addis.

I had a layover some days ago in Addis, no problem with binoculars as long as you are only transfering internationally (you technically don't enter Ethiopia). I saw the 5-odd birds (among which some Abyssinian highland endemics) while waiting in transit :D

Thanks, Temmie, that's a load off my mind. I didn't want to put bins in hold baggage - you never know if the bag will make it !
No hassle while using your bins in the terminal? I did fancy getting a few ticks there!

Thanks, Temmie, that's a load off my mind. I didn't want to put bins in hold baggage - you never know if the bag will make it !
No hassle while using your bins in the terminal? I did fancy getting a few ticks there!
no hassle. I had a camera, bins and a thermal in my bag and the standard security screening didn't take me out for a more detailed check.
Once in the terminal, I was first hesitant to take them out of my bag, but as soon as the first birds flew by, I had no other choice than to admire White-collared and Speckled pigeons, and even a fly-by Hamerkop. Pied Crows were omnipresent and far away I could discern an Augur Buzzard in between the Yellow-billed Kites.

I can confirm no issues for transit passengers at Bole airport (Addis). It's only when your bags are scanned as you come out of the airport on arrival. Addis is a major transit hub, and given the volume of wildlife tourists to East Africa, they'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they started messing with transit passengers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back