• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Blue Butterflies for ID (3 Viewers)

You got me here, Balkantrek. I don't know Phalakron Blue, had to look it up in my books and I don't have any illustration of it. Can be found that butterfly in Bulgaria?

It can, but no, its not this species. Just something to dream about!

I cannot think of any other possibility but False Eros Blue. But still don't know if it has cell spot or not. Some references say it has cell spot and others say it hasn't. I only can separate it from Common Blue by the upperside.

Yes some of the identification guides seem to miss the cell spot off their drawings for some reason, but I think the consensus is that the false eros blue does have a cell spot. The last picture on this link certainly has some similarities to mine:

http://www.eurobutterflies.com/species_pages/eroides.htm

Unless you can point me out something that I overlooked ;) , I think it is a Common Blue!

In my mind I think you are right, but my heart will probably remain an optimist and keep trying to find a way to make it a False Eros Blue!;)

Thanks for the information, Balkantrek :t:

Looking at it very closely I cannot see any reason why it cannot be False Eros Blue. The trouble is I cannot see either why it cannot be Common Blue :-O Pity about the lack of a shot of the upperside. Even a bad pic would provide enough information to know definitively what it is. Cannot you remember if it was bright blue or violetish or if it had broad dusky submarginal borders or not?

I think I will have to label it as a Common Blue. Lafranchis emphasizes that the black lunules of False Eros Blue are strongly sagittate. The ones in my specimen don't come across as strinkingly pointed.

So here's my next one. I am trying to decide if this is a Mountain Argus (Aricia artaxerxes), or a Plebejus species.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8496_200709.jpg
    IMG_8496_200709.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 36
Here we have the old Lysandra problem....deciding on Chalk-hill or Adonis Blue. The first specimen certainly looks like Chalk-hill, but is the second Adonis?

Attachments

• IMG_8722_230709.jpg
    IMG_8722_230709.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8900_240709.jpg
    IMG_8900_240709.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 37
Sorry, Balkantrek. I have been out of butterfly world for quite a long time, first due to work and afterwards due to family duties. I had completely forgotten about the Mountain Argus/Plebejus image.

Difficult to be sure as little detail can be seen but I think might be a Plebejus. Mountain Argus has checkered fringes although I wouldn't bet yours doesn't have them. Those fringes look too white to me. And the orange lunules look closer to the ones of Plebejus. Pity because the underside would clarify the problem ;)

About your last post, the first pic I agree it is Chalk-hill Blue. And although Chalk-hill and Adonis Blue are virtually indistinguible just by the underside, I would say I have never seen a Chalk-hill Blue with so much orange on those lunules. But I have seen pics of Adonis looking like that. So, I would say your second pic is indeed an Adonis :t:

Thanks Gavia. Think that about finishes off my blues from this summer. Time to start looking through my Erebias and also Fritillaries. Hope you enjoy the latter as I have quite a few I need some help with!

Thanks Gavia. Think that about finishes off my blues from this summer. Time to start looking through my Erebias and also Fritillaries. Hope you enjoy the latter as I have quite a few I need some help with!

Bring them in, Balkantrek!! o:D All those puzzling creatures are a joy to discuss! o:)

After discussing Pyrgus Skippers, all seems 'easy' ;) :-O

Bring them in, Balkantrek!! o:D All those puzzling creatures are a joy to discuss! o:)
After discussing Pyrgus Skippers, all seems 'easy' ;) :-O

Having just 'skipped' through this thread I am amazed at the depth of knowledge certain people have of certain creatures/species.
This particular thread appears limited to a few people who are able to contribute (and that is not a criticism-in a way it's a compliment to your years of study).
I have just finished (for finished read 'given up:-C) trying to i.d. all the butterflies I photographed during summer-both here and France. I have decided to put them on my web site without i.d.
As a new convert to 'nature' I won't live long enough to learn birds-never mind beetles/butterflies etc.
So-well done and keep up the work:t:

Hi David!

Glad that you have found the thread interesting. Although there are just a few of us who have actually posted images and discussed indentification issues, this is by no means an exclusive club. If you have blue butterfly photos you would like help in identifying you are more than welcome to post them on this thread. Liekwise we have other similar threads for Ringlets and Skippers and I am about to start another for Fritillaries. So please feel free put some of your French butterflies on and we will be delighted to try and identify them.

Hi David!

Glad that you have found the thread interesting. Although there are just a few of us who have actually posted images and discussed indentification issues, this is by no means an exclusive club. If you have blue butterfly photos you would like help in identifying you are more than welcome to post them on this thread. Liekwise we have other similar threads for Ringlets and Skippers and I am about to start another for Fritillaries. So please feel free put some of your French butterflies on and we will be delighted to try and identify them.

Absolutely agree with all Balkantrek has said. In fact I wish more people would post their Blues, Ringlets, Pyrgus and Fritillaries in these threads. Your French butterflies would be very welcome, David. Bring them here and we will try to ID them for you and you can put them a name in your website!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back