• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura + Ebro Delta vs Malllorca in August/September? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I plan to drive from Sweden down through the French countryside to Extremadura in Spain..and then to the Ebro Delta in the northeast. The entire trip is supposed to take about 3 weeks (1 week in Extremadura and 1 week at the Ebro Delta).

The alternative is to fly to Mallorca/Majorca and stay there for two weeks (around Alcudia). I would rent a car for most of that time.

Which of the above trips are recommended if the trip is supposed to be implemented either second half of August or sometime in September?

This time of year does not seem out of a bird-watching point of view be optimal for Extremadura and the Ebro Delta, but maybe these two sites are "good enough" even in Augusti-September!? Mallorca seems to be a better alternative. What do you say about this?

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I feel the mainland would be better at that time of the year. There are many species there that do not occur on the island, also it is a bit early for raptor migration which can be excellent in Mallorca but in autumn the south of the island is better, Cap de Ses Salines being the best spot. Hope this helps. Mike

Hate to say also that in that period of time Extremadura normally is to hot and to dry for good birding,
except the paddy fields for early migrantory waders, all kind of herons and egrets, warblers, bee-eaters and rollers. For example the Vegas Altas de Guadiana zone. Better is to come from end September, beginning of October. For the moment I should prefer to coastal zones, Cota Doñana, Malaga, Ebro, Cap de Creus.
Good luck! henk

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back