• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyebrowed Thrush in Norolk (1 Viewer)

TillSmith 15 mins ago:-
"It was in the lighthouse area. PH36."
What does he mean? Is the lighthouse area where the garden is near to, and what is PH36 anyone? The plot thickens.

If we are going to continue to play the game, the latest tw*t is:
"Meant to be PE 36,Clarence Rd area."

TillSmith is probably honest, this is too feeble to be a proper hoax. If it is a hoax, it is a pretty anemic example.

No one is falling for it.
Thus far 223 posts, mostly cautious at best, no mass migration to scour Old Hunstanton and no discussion yet of the likelihood of a captive bird.

Last edited:
Hi Penny et al.
Just to take up a couple of points Penny made.

First one: Knowing a local golf course? - I used to live within walking distance of a course for 15 years and spent time on and near it as a kid. I have also played this course several times over the past 6 years but doubt very much Penny if I could give you a description of any particular hole, or the layout of the course for that matter.

Second: Where you at the right course today? - No offence ment but I remember an adjacent caravan site was mentioned in an earlier post. So wouldn't that be 'Heacham Manor' golf course just off the A149 near Redgate Hill? Not Old Hunstanton! As there's only wooden beach huts their.
I believe there used to be a 9 hole pitch and putt, near the light house but no caravans there either.

Anyone checked 'Heacham Manor'???
Hi!

By description of where on the golf course at Old Hunstanton, I mean't eg. near the Le Strange Arms Hotel, by the beach hut area etc etc (see my blog for MY descripton of the whole area as I walked through it on Saturday).

The other golf course adjacent to Searles Caravan site can only be accessed if you are a member I believe. This course can only be seen from quite a distance away from a public footpath, with marshes between, so only way of seeing the bird there were be through a scope, very distantly.

Penny:girl:

If we are going to continue to play the game, the latest tw*t is:
"Meant to be PE 36,Clarence Rd area."
Maybe if the bird has disappeared;) then he is happy to divulge the road name! Clarence Road is the first road on the right after the lighthouse road (Lighthouse Lane) on right, coming from Old Hunstanton. But whatever, hoax or not - I now have 5 days of going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark, so no chance of looking anymore and to be honest I can't be bothered anymore anyway!

Penny:girl:

Having never seen an Eye-browed Thrush I'm not really familiar with their habits but would it have arrived with other winter thrushes? if so what is it doing in a garden? All our local Redwings and Fieldfares are out in the hedgerows busy scoffing the wonderful crop of berries this year, they'll then move to the damp fields. They only ever venture into my garden when the ground is frozen and all other food gone! Or are Eye-broweds different?

Sorry not guilty.
Seriously, latest pronouncement from TillSmith:-
"Well most people may think its a hoax. I assure you its not. I am not surprised that people think it is one. Hoaxes are common place now."
What we need to know from TillSmith is: "Is he going to formally submit the record? If he says he is, and provides some evidence of that, then perhaps people may start to believe it was a genuine sighting of EB Thrush."
Maybe someone who tweets could ask him about this, and we'll see what response we get. At the moment I'm still trying to keep an open mind on the bird. This whole thing is all a bit crazy and daft, and most people are quite rightly not thinking or bothering about it. But it would be nice at the end of the day to know THE TRUTH.
Richard

Having never seen an Eye-browed Thrush I'm not really familiar with their habits but would it have arrived with other winter thrushes? if so what is it doing in a garden? All our local Redwings and Fieldfares are out in the hedgerows busy scoffing the wonderful crop of berries this year, they'll then move to the damp fields. They only ever venture into my garden when the ground is frozen and all other food gone! Or are Eye-broweds different?

That is an interesting and valid point. But it could be it made land at Hunstanton and in its initial search for food found a good supply of berries in a garden close to the cliff tops, and although spending most time in the open returned there occasionally, where it knew it had a ready food supply.

That is an interesting and valid point. But it could be it made land at Hunstanton and in its initial search for food found a good supply of berries in a garden close to the cliff tops, and although spending most time in the open returned there occasionally, where it knew it had a ready food supply.

Yes, I expect it's different for coastal gardens. I'm about 10 miles inland, not half as exciting except I've just had a peahen + two young in the garden. Oops shouldn't have said anything, don't want a load of twitchers descending...........!!

Well still some interest in this story, with 28 members viewing at the moment!!

I guess we birders have some sort of 'rubber-necking' fascination to some degree Richard...and i'm sure Mr.ill Smith would be most pleased if he drops by...

I, like everyone else, do not know who he is...[and nor do i particularly care]...B :)

ps...Out of interest upon this subject...i hear that exif data...or lack of it...means absolutely nothing...[exif data will be removed when modifying pix for the web]...apparently...:cat:

http://username-beast.blogspot.com/

Just seen on Twitter that TillSmith says he lives not far from Skegness, and that he is going away on a birding trip for 3 weeks so will not be tweeting.
Oh well bit of excitement while it lasted.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back