• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feather ID (1 Viewer)

Thanks guys, much apreciated. I'll pass the info on.

I did a double-take upon seeing the bird's name as the photos are on Flikr.com, a photo site with a BF type community (but obviously can't really compare to the original wonder that is us!) that I'm also a member of. Strange co-incidence for a Sunday morning!

Thanks again,

HB

not a flicker!

not a flicker feather, would need to see more of it. Seems very fluffy like maybe a egert or some type of ornamental feather.??

Flicker? Really? Can you tell me how you got that?
To me, it doesn't seem to resemble any bird around I can think of.
Very white for a flicker. Sorry Hindolbittern. I hope I am wrong, because that would be a cool discovery for that particular website!

Best

Just for comparison, here're photos of breast feathers from a Northern Flicker (red-shafted) and a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk, the latter of which seems to more closely resemble the pattern if not the exact shape on the feather in question. But not as artistically photographed. ;)

Attachments

• NOFL breast feather.jpg
    NOFL breast feather.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 99
  • SSHA breast feather.jpg
    SSHA breast feather.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 74
Looking at the shot that is more straight on, you can see a bit of brown on the next patch of color.
I guess the question would be, how big is it? Would that be the next step?

I am still not convinced it is a flicker.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back