• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch That Comes to My Feeder has Bump on Beak--Question (1 Viewer)

carleebird

I live in a suburban area in NJ. I got a bird feeder last month because I work at home near the window and thought watching birds would be great (and it is, I love it!)

The birds that come are only sparrows and mourning doves, with the occasional blue jay.
Yesterday I noticed a sparrow whose beak looked damaged. It has a bump at the base of a beak. I was wondering if it could be a tumor (hope not) or maybe a tick? If it is a tick, could its spread a disease to the other birds that come to the feeder?

Or could they be ill? I don't want them spreading a potential illness to the other birds. As weird as it sounds, I developed an affection for these birds and enjoy watching them all day.

Input would help, although I know I can't really potentially do anything about it. :/ Thank you!

Got to snap a few quick photos: http://imgur.com/a/5UQsw sorry for bad quality.

The bird is a female House Finch. As far as I can see, it's not a tick (too smoothly joined to the beak). It could be a tumor, but personally, I'd suspect it is dried plant latex. They can get this when pulling apart immature seed heads of plants like dandelions with thick, sticky sap. The sap sticks to the beak and dries on, getting thicker layer by layer the more it feeds on the plant. Sometimes they can get it off while bathing, but sometimes it dries on too stubborn to remove. It is unlikely to harm the bird though.

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

Hi there Carlee and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BF :t:

You might try reading Cornell Univiersity's study on House Finch diseases which can be found HERE

The bird is a female House Finch. As far as I can see, it's not a tick (too smoothly joined to the beak). It could be a tumor, but personally, I'd suspect it is dried plant latex. They can get this when pulling apart immature seed heads of plants like dandelions with thick, sticky sap. The sap sticks to the beak and dries on, getting thicker layer by layer the more it feeds on the plant. Sometimes they can get it off while bathing, but sometimes it dries on too stubborn to remove. It is unlikely to harm the bird though.

PS Welcome to Birdforum!

Thanks so much! I hope that is what it is. I mean, he looks fine and is always at the feeder so it is good that he has an appetite, I suppose.

So the other bird I am concerned about is a mourning dove. I don't see him every day. Saw him for the 2nd time today. He has 2 pinkish bumps on one side of his head and 1 pinkish bump on the other side. I didn't get a picture but it looks like this: http://i57.tinypic.com/330ea6f.jpg (except that is a budgie). What do you guys think? Maybe a feather cyst? If not, what? I am worried for him as well as the spreading of potential disease to the other birds who come to my feeder.

Hard to say without pics of the bird itself, but doesn't sound so good. I guess best is just follow the general advice about keeping the feeders cleaned and disinfected regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back