• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finder scope (1 Viewer)

stanfairgrieve

Does anyone have any experience in fitting a Tele Vue Qwix Point to a Leica APO-Telvid 77. Are they any good, where I can buy one and how much do they cost ?
Or maybe someone has ideas for making it easier to find the subject/bird with the scope prior to taking the shot.
Maybe a DIY finder scope.
It would need to fit an angled eyepiece scope
Stan

I've used a Tele Vue Quik Point for several years on a TeleVue scope that is a back-up birding scope. And one that is used for digiscoping at times. There is no problem with seeing the projected dot in the daytime and it works very good as a sighting device. I can not speak to applying the device to you Leica Scope from experience. I believe it would be very difficult unless you tapped into the scope. I’m also not sure about where you would place it. But, my brother has always said than I’m not very innovative.

I paid $39 USA for the device three years ago.

However there a problem with the design of the device. The battery and the dimmer mechanism are held in by a spring clip and it is very prone to falling out if it is accidentally touched.

There are similar device(s) to the Quik Point that may be more robust. Orion I believe makes one.

Bob D
Iowa, USA

Is this basically a red-dot sight? Projecting a red spot onto a clear lens? I remember someone telling me about using these cheap devices as a location system for digiscoping.
Regards,
Andy

Yes, it is a red dot system as you indicated. The Qwik Point mechanism allows two primary positions, one for bright which works well in daylight and a second low light position for astro use. You can also adjust it for degrees of brightness.

The system when mounted has horizontal and vertical adjustment. On astro scopes it is typically mounted 20 degrees or so from vertical. When digiscoping in the winter with my TeleVue Ranger from inside the house it works well even as close as 20'. Even though I adjusted the Quik Point for infinity, one learns to quickly adjust for parallax at close distances.

When I bird with the Ranger (usually when my wife is using our Fieldscope) the dot is handy, expecially for sighting on soaring hawks.

I've alread noted my major complaint and that is the battery/brightness adjustment is prone to being knocked off. I've rubber banded it on and it helps some.

Bob

Bob
much the same INFO I've had up to now from a UK source.
I have taken the liberty of taking this extract from the website in your thread I'm sure they will not mind if it probably means sales
Stan

TeleVue Qwik-Point Birder - Universal (#QPB-1007)

List Price: $45.00
Our Price: $33.00
Availability: In Stock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qwik-Point Astro-Tele Vue. Qwik-Point finder with electronics board, mounting adapter, and hardware.

The compact, lightweight Qwik-Point is the ideal sighting companion for Ranger or any small scope! Qwik-Point uses the same optical principle as Starbeam and can be used for daytime spotting or nighttime star hopping. Night mode brightness is adjustable.

A Universal model, with a Velcro strap is available for telescopes with a 4" or smaller tube diameter. Daytime only units are available without the electronics board.

I've been reading this thread with interest, but have no knowledge of these devices.

Do they work by sneding out a red dot that you can see without looking through the scope in order to line up on a subject ? Or does the daylight version mean you line up on a bird using twin sighting pins ?

Over all do they really work in helping to find a bird far quicker ?
I'm finding birds all right without a sighting device, but it's taking longer to locate them than what I'd like leading to some missed birds / photos.

The device projects a red dot on the clear glass element that is at the front of the finder that you see without looking through the scope. They do not use twin sighting pins. You must of course be able to see the bird with your naked eye. There is no magnification. One just moves the scope until the red dot is on the bird. Note that the device does not project a laser dot on the bird.

It helps find the bird far quicker, especially when digiscoping and moving from bird to bird with the camera attached. Essentially you put the dot on the bird and look at you camera LCD and you should find the bird unless you are so close that you have to compensate for parallax.

Bob

This sounds like a handy device for spotting birds in under story brush.
As I unterstand this, the red dot is NOT projected to the bird, but used strictley as a "sight" would be on a rifle.
Thanks for your input BobD, could you possibly post a pic with device shown on your scope?
bob

I've just got hold of a Walther red dot sight...only £15. Pity about the dovetail fiting for a rifle/pistol.... but I'll give it a try as a finder instead of the old EagleEye I.L.S.
Andy

I've posted two pics of the Qwik Point on my telescope. They should be under the Equipment & Accessories Section (may still be in the Most Recent Photos section)

The titles are TV Qwik Pt. 1 and Qwik Point Close-up.

Yes, it does work well for finding a bird in the brush.

Bob

Hi Bob
Had a look at your photos.
Could you see this working with an angled Leica APO televid 77.
Could it be slung round to the side of the scope and still work
Stan

I just don't know if the Universal Qwik Point could work with the Leica scope. I believe that a side attachment could be worked around as far as parallax, as with use one learns to adjust to the parallax. Although, there are times when I use my finder dot at very close ranges that I might have to hunt a little. I have my finder set at infinity for astro use. It is extremely difficult to find a star or planet thru a scope as there are usually no good landmarks.

The TeleVue site states that it is attached with a velcro strap. (On the Ranger the base slides into a slot then secured with set screws. It does not move.)

That-- without knowing any different, makes me wonder if the device would be secure. It must be in order to accurately center(with two adjustment screws in the finder) the scope image. And to maintain that alignment in the field.

Most telescopes do not have angled surfaces on the tube. Spotting scopes often do. This could cause a problem. Perhaps attaching with sticky back velcro, where the velcro is also epoxied together (I've done that on other applications) and then also secured with velcro or with strap material would provide a secure attachment. I would assume that the Quik Point would need to be reasonably parallel with the optical tube as the compensation in the device is not great.

However, as I said before my brother does not think I'm very innovative so there may be a work around beyond me.

If you wish to pursue the use of the Qwik Point I would be glad to call TeleVue and inquire. No problem and the call is only pennies for me. Others may also want to know about the use of this device.

Let me know.

Bob

Hi,
Have ended up purchasing the EagleEye Image locating sight
£33-95 plus Vat. Go to EagleEye Optic Zooms for there review.
I'll post here after I've tried it out.
Stan

I have used the EagleEye Image Locator in the past, but now that I don't use the stay-on case on the scope, I find the sighting aid built in to the side of the scope works just as well. It was a bit fiddly setting up the EagleEye every time.

Malky, on behalf of the Moderators and Admin, welcome to Bird Forum. I'm sure you'll find plenty to keep you interested and informed here and we look forward to hearing about your birding in Scotland. Especially as I will be holidaying there for a couple of weeks in June! :t:

Hi all; I recently purchased a "BSA" brand red dot finder sight at WalMart for $30 US. It has a 30mm clear aperature and has an eleven step brightness control. It works fantastic and i can hardly believe how much easier and faster it is to locate distant subjects.
I rigged a mount for my Eagle Opt. Raven scope using a block of wood and 2 nylon tie straps. It's not pretty but it is certainly functional and quite sturdy. I highly reccommend this type of device to anyone who has experienced the frustration of missed photo opportunities due to the time lag involved in locating, focusing, and shooting the subject before it moves.

Attachments

• tnreddot.jpg
    tnreddot.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 517
Having read this thread with much intrest after spending 3 hours Sunday trying to Digi-scope a very mobile Chiff-chaff, I decided to have a trip to the local gun-shop after a chat etc. I purchased a Webley hot dot sight ( battery operated red dot etc.) £14.95 pretty cheap I thought.
Getting it home I had a look at my set-up( Swaro angled scope)for somewhere to mount it, as the sight complete with battery only wieghs 2ounces, I decided to mount it on the camera a hour or so later in the shed a bracket was made and tested it seems to work ok, the only change I'm going to make is to swap the velcro that holds it on to the camera, for small clamp to make it more secure.
Any way I have posted a photo in the equipment gallery iff any one is interested.
After a quick try-out it seems an excellent method to aquire a target very quick an accurate after initial setting up.

As an addendum on technique, my rig comes with a 7X cross haired finder scope. While photographing fast movers, I have been able to simply line the bird up in the cross hairs and fire away without going to the camera lcd. This saves time, but of course requires that the finder be accurately aligned and that the scope and camera be prefocused. This works pretty good if the bird/s stay in the same plain, i.e. hedge row or tree line. I got several decent record shots of Ruby-crowned Kinglets this way that I otherwise would have missed entirely.

I too am looking at a red dot system.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back