• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First bird prediction time. (1 Viewer)

Is it January the 1st already? The only bird I've seen today has been one of our bantams - and that was at 3.00 ish - pm. - this may be my fault rather than all the birds deserting Reading! I'll check properly tomorrow.

Sonia

Happy New Year Everyone

Hello
First bird seen thismorning was a coaltit also had a single redwing in my tree didnt do much just looked around then flew off first seen one its own normally in large groups
B :)

As I thought,

a few housesparrows, then some greenfinches and surprise, surprise, a starling. Hardly worth bothering looking out of the window so early.

birdman said:
Timing is everything... but the odds favour Starling for me also from downstairs... but if I peek from upstairs then likely to be Black-headed Gull.
Oh well, wrong on the downstairs, as Blackbird, a male and later a female were first (for me), then Dunnocks and Starlings.

Still haven't had an "upstairs" though, as there was nothing about when I peered, and we've been our all day!

Geoff Brown said:
As I thought,

a few housesparrows, then some greenfinches and surprise, surprise, a starling. Hardly worth bothering looking out of the window so early.

A friend who lives only about 10 miles from me has not seen a sparrow in his garden for many years, so he'd be delighted to see some sparrows.

To Michael,

you know , I've yet to see a Tawny Owl. Maybe I just need to get up eraly like you.

My first was Herring Gull.
At Bowlin Green Marsh we had an unexpected visitor with a Red Throated Diver. it was nice to see it in the same scope as the Glossy Ibis. not bad for the New Year's Honour's List.

Regards,

Padraig.

Hi Padraig,

Two tips for seeing Tawny Owls:

1. Learn to imitate their hoot - it is quite easy - then go out into a mature wood half an hour or an hour before dawn, and call 'em up. Stand still and keep scanning the trees above your head, they usually fly in completely silently and perch about 20 feet above you to enjoy watching you making a fool of yourself ;)

2. Listen out for other birds mobbing them. This usually happens most often shortly after dawn.

Good luck!

Michael

First bird was Little Blue Heron, next Great Blue Heron and then an Osprey. I have to admit that I closed my eyes when the vultures started flying over so I didn't have to count them first!

It turned out, rather predictably, to be Snow Bunting and saw hundreds during the day yesterday. Followed by Starling, Raven, Snipe, Wren and Gyr Falcon.

E

Looking at my Jan !st records the first three birds are remarkably consistent (or should that be consistently boring!). They are Blackbird, Black-headed Gull and Starling. Maybe I should get up earlier!

James

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back