• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

More scribbles from the tiny sketchbook just by way of keeping ticking over. Sh*te weather today - been out twice and had three changes of clothing.

Attachments

• 100_0491.jpg
    100_0491.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 100_0493.jpg
    100_0493.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_0494.jpg
    100_0494.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_0495.jpg
    100_0495.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_0496.jpg
    100_0496.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 39
Nice Tim.
Are you out every day to make field drawings or just carry a book just in case?
(if you don't mind me asking that is).

All the best,

Philip

I just carry a book Philip. The only drawing I've done today though was this quick thumbnail from the shelter of the kitchen porch. I made an instant watercolour sketch to try and keep the flavour of the scene.

Attachments

• 100_0497.jpg
    100_0497.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0498.jpg
    100_0498.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 69
Sh*te weather today -
been out twice
and had three changes of clothing.

I think that qualifies as an exceptionally fine haiku (three metrical phrases and typically containing a kigo, or seasonal reference....).

Not as fine as the pics themselves though- especially a very fine Shag + buoy. I really like that.

I think that qualifies as an exceptionally fine haiku (three metrical phrases and typically containing a kigo, or seasonal reference....).

Not as fine as the pics themselves though- especially a very fine Shag + buoy. I really like that.
I never knew I had an inner poet. And thank you for the very kind words - sometimes the immediate works (oftentimes not, though ;)).
Cheers.

Cheers Steve - weather's just what it is, isn't it. Winter's on its way - eeeek!

I don't know how but I missed your scribbles earlier. I can't help but be jealous of the subject matter! Great little sketches Tim, you're on a roll!

Mike

finally get to say something about these last lot, I find something incredibly genuine and personal in these little sketches, as they're not intended for show, there is nothing holding you back. Extra special mention goes to the watercolour waxwings - a subtle blend of colours shaped by a few lines and a few jabs of yellow to create a hauntingly beautiful picture.

Thanks for the insight Tim.
These little sketches show so much more than just the subject matter.
It's a shame that often the sketches get left behind at exhibitions and only the final is shown. Maybe they can be turned into a sort of manga book, bedside reading for doodlers?

At last, I get the chance to start the seabird painting! What with one thing and another - illustration work to clear away and waiting for the canvases to arrive. The good thing though is that I hadn't looked at the composition for quite a while and (besides Nick's observation about the voyeuristic puffin) I realised that there was too much similarity in the larger birds' sizes. I therefore decided to knock the shags back a little in the scene and also move the hanging gannet further into the middle distance. This I think, gives the birds a bt more space to move and lets the eye move around the composition better. I've re-adjusted the psition of the seastack a tiny amount, but this now allows a bit more sea and sky to the right of the design which balances the diagonal a bit more.
I'll start the painting today,

Attachments

• seabirds.jpg
    seabirds.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 65
everyone seems to be doing 'group' paintings all of a sudden, is this somthing to do with the long winter nights and having a bit of time to do more.......I think theres a secret competition between you and arthur to outdo each other in the group thing....:-O

I think you've made some right decisions in this pic, even if I did like the pervy puffin - looking forward to seeing the progression

Made a start on the painting today. I'm looking to find a way to say 'white' without it being just white (and the obvious purplish hues in the shadows). I think I sometimes have the tendancy to paint a little too timdly at times and I don't want this canvas to be one of them.
Listening to ac/dc. 1980s U2 and the might Quo frm 1971 helps to loosen the attitude a tad.

Attachments

• seabirds1.jpg
    seabirds1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 76
A bit of Ma kellys greasy spoon and Paper plane certainly loosened me up in the seventies. Nothing wrong with a bit of the mighty Quo.
Good start on the gannet. Like the curulean blue. glad you left the hanging gannet in.

Just looked at Alter bridge Woody , A very 'Quoesque' moment in the middle of the performance I noticed. Great song.
Steve

Last edited:
There's nothing quite like making a painting while the image is still fresh in the memory. Have had some thrilling encounters with a long-eared owl recently. We actually have some very good little bits of woodland habitat in Orkney and where I now live in Stromness there's a super little stand of trees. The owl obviously thought the same and I became quite a dab-hand at locating it (it proved to be almost invisible to most other birders) and I have had this image in my mind for a day or two.
I started a watercolour which was going to be my best ever piece (sound familiar Paul?) but I never finished it because quite frankly it was sh*t. This afternoon though I suddenly got the urge (the fact that it's Sally's birthday may have prompted my rush of activity). 45 minutes of slapping it on and here's the result. I suspect it may be developed into something a little more substantial at a later date (this one's only 14"x10").
Seabirds this weekend.

Attachments

• longearedOwl.jpg
    longearedOwl.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
What a great effect. Your eyes flick about all over the painting and then focus in on the owl!

Looking forward to seeing more of the seabird painting too. Looking good so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back