• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (1 Viewer)

Good God! Leave my computer for a mere 5 days a come back to a plethora of completed paintings here and elsewhere.

First of all, congrats on the LEO, it's a glowing tribute to you Tim. Wonderful, wonderful painting, truly gobsmacked by it....
Like all of this looser work of yours Tim and the Waxwing is a real joy, love the tones and smple comp. The bird itself is wonderfully understated, takes a lot of skill to put out paintings like this....

LEO, wow, another "birdwatching in a painting". Too tired to think of something smarter to say, it's way over time to go to sleep for me.

Elina

A quick update on the seabirds commission:
This is possibly the most involved painting which I have ever done. What I mean is, I am making very deliberate decisions about each and every (almost) brushmarks that I put on the canvas. This may sound like I'm being more controlled and tight - actually that's not what's happening at all. I'm finding that spending more time mixing and selecting colours and tones is stopping me 'doodling' on the canvas, and each mark is obvious and (hopefully) meaningful - and, I think, fresh. I still think there's a way to go, but I can feel a finish is out there - somewhere.

Attachments

• seabirds2.jpg
    seabirds2.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 81
Sounds like an approach that would work for oils, I assume this is acrylics? Looking good whatever.

Mike

Reminds me of the Jonsson observation that for him watercolour painting is a "dialogue with the bird" (by which I think he means that you splash on colour in response to the bird and accept and enjoy what happens) whereas painting in oil is a "dialogue with the canvas"- you place colour on the canvas deliberately and thoughtfully with an effect in mind and you see whether or not it "works OK" [his words I think- I don't keep Birds and Light at the office, tempting though it is!]. Of course in his case, it often does work OK..and here it is working in Tim's case with da acrylics.

this is working, doodling on the canvas can go either way, either it works first time, or not at all, a more controlled and thoughtful approach means you can get it right first time and the results speak for themselves.

A quick update:
Once the birds started to appear, I realised the sea required beefing up in tone and increasing the purples in the water. I think this adds a bit more depth (although I could be wrong!)
Thanks for the encouragement.

Attachments

• seabirds3.jpg
    seabirds3.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 89
I really like this picture.
Still definitely a Tim Wootton painting but being more considered is working well as the fantastic lighting and depth of colour shows. It still holds the feel and life of your field sketches and doesn't feel tight or restricted at all.
What size is the painting?

I'm calling this one finished now. Try as I might I cannot get a decent photo of the painting - it always looks 'scruffy' - which it isn't in reality (I don't think!).
The majr problems in this painting were keeing the wholistic feel to it with having to include so many disperate features. I think the addition of the scentless mayweed vegetation on the right of the painting (actually the client's suggestion and backed up by Sal) adds just enough of a visual distraction to the piece.
I rearranged the razorbills and deleted one as the comp didn't flow with that little bunch of black birds together.
Any further suggestions?

Attachments

• seabirdslast.jpg
    seabirdslast.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 92
suggestions? put the brushes down and don't touch, this is beautiful, a real feel of warm sun on a fresh breeze.

Expertly done Tim, leave alone. I'm particularly impressed with the way the composition swirls around the patch of sea and the really colourful whites. A beauty!

Mike

Bit of a backlog of Christmas commissions to clear - I started ths one last week but the seabirds painting took over . Now that one's been completed I had a bit of time to finish this small acrylic (A4).

Attachments

• oyklast.jpg
    oyklast.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back