• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

I think this one is now just about completed.
Brings back springtime memories of doing bird surveys, trying to count the lawings as I put them up off their territories - on some sites I'd have up to 40-odd birds in the air at once (and they have an irritating habit of not staying still).
Acrylic on canvas, 30"x24".

Attachments

• lapyend.jpg
    lapyend.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 95
It's gorgeous and I absolutely love it! I've never been to the northern isles but this atmospheric painting has transported me there. Top notch work Tim.

Mike

peeeeeeeeeeeee-wit peeeeeeeeeeeeee dsjkhdsjkhch sjkjkj fjfj hhfhfhdiqkd (can't transcibe the noise they do). I don't know where to look first, which is supposed to be a bad thing according to art as taught - but when in front of wheeling lappys, you just don't know where to look first, they're so full of action - thumbs up!

Tim you make it look so easy peasie! Reminds me of spring and wader surveys, but do you get p-ed off by dive-bombing kleepy oiks after a while like I do?

Excellent selection of flight shapes, and the stretchin' shakin' one bottom right is spot on.

Cheers,
Andrew

Cheers folks - client is happy too, so that pleases me!!
Andrew - What's a kleepy oik? - I don't think we use that term in Ork. We have skarfies, whaaps and Tammie Nories, to name but three, but I've never heard of the kleepy oik.

Last edited:
Major success I'd say Tim. Full of atmosphere and if you listen carefully you can indeed hear them. You have captured a very special scene in a very special painting, congrats Tim. Love it.

Having completed the last commissions thought I'd celebrate with a quickie. However, Sally wasn't remotely interested so I did a painting instead.
I'm fnding myself moving further away from detail and trying to use an absolute minimum of brushmarks, to varying degrees of success.
Acrylic on canvas, 14"x10"

Attachments

• winterrobin.jpg
    winterrobin.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Tim that'll be the Christmas cards sorted then!

Kleepy oiks - my own term for the rather annoying dive bombing, alarming oystercatchers - nothing against them really, but that 'k-kleep, kleep, kleep' call does go right through you after a while.

Much prefer the mechanical Lapwings, or best of all the trilling rilling dunlin.

Cheers,
Andrew

What a beauty! A robin in snow and yet a genuine honest piece of work, I could look at this any day and think - genuine bird, genuine place, and no sodding jingle bells!

and it'll last longer than a quickie!

Have been toying with developing the small l-e owl painting into something a tad more substantial and painted over the lapwing and sheep canvas to begin with (not the latest one, the one from a few weeks ago).
Then decided the owl wasn't really doing what I remembered it to be, so made a small colour sketch to try and get the feeling back. Both pieces are posted - the large comp i 24"x18" and the sketch 14"x10".

Attachments

• leowlbig8.jpg
    leowlbig8.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 93
  • leowlsmall8.jpg
    leowlsmall8.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 99
Looking good Tim. The colour sketch is a fine piece as is and the larger comp is working well. I prefer the warmer tones of the sketch to the cooler hues in the larger piece but that's just personal and I wasn't there to experience the colour first hand, (obviously!).

Mike

these owls, these owls- you've done so well with these, you've managed to break the picture down into patches to paint, and then the eye puts the whole thing back together, now tell me how you do it! Have no favourite out of the two, the sketch is perhaps less spooky as it has eyes rather than a Modigliani-esque vaccum in its head, but, well, lost for words really!

The painting makes me go wow, and the sketch awww. There's something mysterious about the first LEO (and the composition and the colors are brilliant, what an atmosphere you've created!!!), and the LEO in the sketch is simply adorable, there's something awfully appealing about it.

*sigh*

Elina

I like these owls Tim. They almost look timeless in a mythical sort of way. Especially the first one, it almost looks like the owl has been built by the leaves and twigs which surround it. But maybe I'm waxing lyrical too much :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back